3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$3000 to spend

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$3000 to spend

so i found $3000 bucks the other day and want to upgrade some things....
just wanted to get some sugestions on what to do next by what i have on my truck now.

i would realy like to change the gearing cause i drive alot for work and i also run out of rpm's when crusing at top end....... dont know the first thing on how much it would be for parts and labor.

but.... I would also like to get injectiors and a fuel system upgrade......

any help would be great thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 PM

I would do the fuel system upgrade and then a turbo before injectors. Seems these things go a long way with the stock injectors. What ever you do, it will sure be fun!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM

where did you find 3k...just laying around?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM

randizzle,
I see your just down the road. There is a great shop in Johnstown that specializes in gear changes and Diesel performance. The shop is 4-sight his # is 518 736 2030 and his name is Ivan. GREAT guy!!! Tell him Randy said to call. You'll be happy ya did.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
where did you find 3k...just laying around?
Yeah!!! I need some $$$!!!

If you drive a lot, I would look at mileage gains first. If you do a lot of highway driving (60+) I would look at a gear vendors or some lower gears, but if you go with gearing, I would spend the money and have a professional install them. You can mess up a lot with rear end gears that are installed improperly.

IF you have money left over, and you just want mild upgrades, I'd look at some F1 sticks, just a 1 or 1.2. Get a air dog for better filtration, and you're jammin.

If you have any money left after that, report back, I love to spend other people's money!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 PM

What gears do you have now? 4.10s? If so, maybe you can find someone to trade? I would love to 4.10s instead of 3.73s in mine. Too bad I don't live in NY anymore.

Maybe an Arson III kit would be a good addition.

An Airdog would definitely help.

Turbo or injectors would be next up.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Instead of gears, how about just taller tires? It is a lot cheaper. On my truck, 1,900 rpm gives me 70 mph and 2,500 rpm gives me 90 mph.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:19 PM

thanks for the help yes i have 4:10 gearing now ... a guy at my work has a 2500 with 3:83 gears i think and he said he would trade me but im not sure if they are the same as what i have other than the gears......

i was also looking at the air dog 2 systems they seem to do good for the guys running them in here

i am realy looking for more top end '' mph '' .... my truck tops out at 109mph but i would like to get around 115-120 lol im prity sure its cause im running out of rpm's ..not power my boost shows around 24 psi when im maxed out

mark thanks for the info i might have anouther 1k in a week so we will have to talk ......

everyday diesel yes i did find it on the ground !!! lol
just kidding im trying too save my pennies to help with this addiction that i now have with my truck .

topper i will give Ivan a call during the week and see what he was to say about how long it will take cause i need my truck for work and it cant be down for too long

thanks again
Old 04-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Stan makes a good point. I'm running 37's, (325's), and at 70 I'm at about 1700 rpm's with 4:10's.

Just tell us your goals, we'll come up with a plan!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:44 AM

randizzle,
Ivan is a great guy and can get all your go fast goodies that ya may want as well as install them. He drag races and sled pulls so he's not just a guy reading a book and sellin parts. He does it all from selling, installing and fabbing up parts from scratch. From tires to complete engine rebuilds. He is definately a 1 stop shop.
As far as your top speed being only 109 alot of that comes from your program. My 03 had 410s and with my Smarty it would go way beyond 109. One word of caution, things start happening pretty quick at over 100mph especially in a diesel truck!!! Be carefull.
Topper
PS call Ivan after 10 am he is open from 10-10 most days
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM

i will call Ivan tomorrow ....I totaly forgot to call him today .... sounds like a guy that i need . I am working in Ticondaroga ... about 1hr 45 min away from home one way so thats why i would like some better gearing....I m thinking .

Im still new to the diesel thing and glad i found this site that has so many people that know their stuff on what to do the first time and not wast my time talking to people that are shady tree guys ...no offence to them...

I am going to order a air dog 2 i think and talk to Ivan and see what he says about the next step..... he is kinda far for me but im sure i can do most of the instaulations myself

as far as high speed in a truck ...the brakes in my truck arnt that good for racing ...but i was looking at cross drilled rotters and ceramic pads ..lol

im not trying to make it a super race truck but .....yea i guess i am

i was also wondering about u joints for my drive shaft...i replaced them when i got the truck but put cheep napa joints in it and they havent lasted that long..10mths.... now i have the sweet vibration around 70mph and its always on my mind when driving to and from work . i looked up a few but would rather take someones word in here .....

sorry for the long post
thanks again to everyone
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 AM

randizzle,
I drive 102 miles (1.5 hrs) each way to work myself so I can relate! My truck has 3.73 gears and with my 35s I run right around 2,000 rpms at 75 mph. I run the thruway from Amsterday - Kingston everyday and get about 18 mpg. (when I'm not playing) As far as the Napa U joints go I have had very good luck with them. I put about 70,000 miles on a year and haven't had any of the Napa joints go bad. (I have had them in 4 trucks) When you give Ivan a call tell him that Randy said hey. If you want to give me a call my cell is (518)225-0552 (pics in gallery)
See ya,
Topper
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Exclamation

SO IM LEAVING WORK TODAY AND WILE GOING THREW THE INTERSECTION AT ABOUT 35MPH MY TRUCK SHIFTED AND BOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUST AND DIRT IN MY REAR VIEW . THERE WAS RUTS IN THE BLACK TOP GOING ACROSS THE OTHER DIRECTION AND THE REAR OF MY TRUCK CAME OFF THE GROUND THE SAME TIME IT WAS SHIFTING ..... I THOUGHT IT MAY HAVE JUST JUMPED INTO NEUTRAL ....BUT TO MY DEMISE ...IT DIDNT . SO I PULLED OVER AND LOOKED UNDER MY TRUCK SLOWLY WITH ONE EYE CLOSED THINKING MY TRANNY WOULD BE BLEEDING ALL OVER THE GROUND BUT IT WASNT ...

NOW THERE I WAS 114 MILES AWAY FROM HOME WITH ONE BAR OF SERVICE ON MY CELL AND EVERY VAIN IN MY HEAD READY TO RUPTURE LIKE THE VOLCANO IN ICELAND....

SO I GET HOLD OF AAA AND WAS LUCKY TO ONLY HAVE TO PAY FOR 14 MILES AT $3.50 A MILE FOR THE TOW......

I DONT THINK IM GONA BE ABLE TO SLEEP TONIGHT THINKING OF WHATS WRONG WITH MY TRANNY......... IM THINKING ITS THE INPUT SHAFT CAUSE ITS THE ONLY THING THAT WASNT HD IN IT FROM WHAT I WS TOLD AND WHAT I HAVE READ SO FAR .

I GUESS THATS GONA PUT A DENT IN MY PURSE FOR THE TIME BEING BUT IT JUST SUCKS THAT IM GOING TOBE WITHOUT MY TRUCK FOR A BIT

TOPPER I WILL GIVE YA A JANGILL TOMORROW

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE "INPUT" ON WHAT I SHOUD DO ....LOL

SORRY HAD TO SAY IT

RANDIZZLE
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 AM

Man that sucks major. I hope it wasnt the input shaft!!! When the input shaft lets go it takes everything in the front of the trans with it.BIG BUCKS!!!
Keep us posted.
Topper