3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

You pull up to a Chevy at a stoplight... and?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You pull up to a Chevy at a stoplight... and?

So guys, I'm venturing out of my comfort zone of the 2nd-gen section. I see that there are a few people out there that have ordered/test driven the new Cummins. So, whats gonna happen stock vs. stock when you pull up next to a Duramax at a stoplight? Just curious. It sounds like you all are able to roast the tires through 3rd gear, so its gotta take off pretty quick.

Thanks,
DFO
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM

I've beaten them off the line but I think the moron didn't know how to hole shot. But all together I think the CTD will win. I mean I toasted a phonaholic sitting at a green light today, just as I went to go around him, he gases his little V-8 triing to get the run on mine but I just laughed and passed him. Oh it was one of those new little Cadillac SUV's with their 300 somethin Hp engines. NO CHANCE!! And GET OFF THE PHONE WHILE YOURE DRIVING!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Stock to stock, both with 285/70R17 tires, both 4x4, Dodge Quad chevy crew, both with cats busted out, both 2006, both auto. Chevy is mine, and the Dodge is my wifes truck, we race all the time. My Chevy is a work truck, so it's got 300 pounds of tools on it all the time, Dodge has a bed mat and that's it. We both stall out, and I let her launch me by about a half a truck, and then I reel her in. By 70 mph I'm a truck ahead, and by 100 I'm 2 to 3 ahead.

Before you guys blast me, let me tell you, I'm not Dodge hater. I bought the Dodge for myself, but my wife liked it so much that she took it away. We are gonna get her a new SUV next year, and we will be trading in my Dura, and I'll get my Dodge back. I just wish the Dodge was as good on fuel as the Chevy is, about 2 to 3 mpg better.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:55 AM

the dodge is around 1000lb heavier and doesn't turn up as fast so probably the chevy if the drivers are equally talented
Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Banned

depends on year dmax and cummins.

a 2006-2007 LBZ will easilly beat any of the other two diesels (PSD or CTD). Bone stock 4x4 crew cab short beds run low low 15's. (15.1-15.2) They definetly are not slow.

The common-rail Cummins will beat an LB7 duramax. The latest 05-06 CR cummin's will probably beat an LLY dmax.

I dont know much about how the second gen CTD's run. When we went to the track, my buddy's 2002 CTD auto 4x4 ran 17.3 bone stock. I dont know if he didnt know how to launch it or what, but thats what he ran. LLY and LB7 dmax's run in the mid 16's or so.

driver can have a huge effect on things too. Wether the truck is 4x4 or not. etc. etc...

I have a hard time beleiving the dodges are 1000 pounds heavier. My cc/sb weighs 7250-7300 with me in it, depending on fuel level, etc. So you are saying that a Dodge crew/short bed weighs 8300 pounds? So basically that would leave it with about 700 pounds of legal payload left??

If I had to venture a guess, Id say two equally equipped dodge's and dmax's (cc/sb, 4x4, etc..)...the dodge might weigh ~200 pounds more. That is accounting for the CTD weighing significntly more than the dmax, but on the other hand, the Allison weighs significantly more than the 48re.

with the 2006 vs. 2006 ctd vs dmax unloaded Im not sure they would be exactly equal, I have not heard of any CTD's running 15's bone stock. Gutting the cat on an LBZ will throw a check engine light and cause odd running issues, thats the only thing I can think of.

this isnt about a silly brand arguing war, thats just my oppinion.

ben
Old 03-14-2007, 11:15 PM

I got my weight figures comparing megacab short box to ford and chevy crew cab short box with man trans in all.
Diesel power magazine had the dually shootout and had the curb weights also the dmax was around 800lbs lighter acording to them I will try to find the article
Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 PM

Well, I have to say it depend on the driver and how willing he is to commit. Just the other week, I rolled up to a stoplight while downshifting into 2nd gear. The light changed and I figured I had the drop on the D-max and pull ahead since the road merge shortly after the light while going under a bridge. I would have made it too, but there was some left over snow from a recent snow storm along the embankment on my side of the road. It caught my truck and started to pull me towards a cement pilon (Bridge support). I had to let off the go pedal to regain control. Even the wife was peeved I did not take him. That dura max had a least a box on it (dont know what setting) and I am still running stock and a stock clutch and I was still ahead of him by at least a truck lenght.

Honestly, I believe it has to do with the driver and how well he knows his truck. The new D-max might be faster than their predasessors, but can they hold the load while going up hill loaded to the kilt?

A lot of Auto runners around here see me with a clutch and blast off from the light and when then they see me in their side window going neck and neck with them. They wonder how the hell did I catch them. Other times I just take my time. And play with them. Thats where the fun is at. Speeding up a little bit at a time and then finding the next gear while they got their go pedal mashed to the floor trying to get passed ya.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM

I believe the original poster is talking 2007 model years - 6.7/68REF vs. 6.6 LBZ/Allison.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel Doc
I got my weight figures comparing megacab short box to ford and chevy crew cab short box with man trans in all.

so just how did you find the weight information on a 2007 duramax/manual trans?

I read that too. Diesel Power posted the figures for a gas truck. Excuses excuses excuses, its not worth me posting any more in this thread......

this is asking a million dollar question with too many variables....drivers....load....chipped.....weathe r.....2wd vs 4wd......

there is no "definitive" answer. If you really want to know, then race one yourself, you cant go by what anyone else says.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM

As much as I love my dodge, the truth of it is, that chevy makes a good unit. It is fast, it will tow lots. I personally think that is less expensive to get the same hp from a dodge, due to numbers. But stock to stock, a chevy will leave a dodge. I think that maybe (hopefully) the new 6.7 should be able to leave a lly engine, but I am quite sure that it wont touch a lbz engine. Now I am quite sure that a cummins will last mutch longer than any duramax, and will work harder, and will take more mods without issues.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I believe the original poster is talking 2007 model years - 6.7/68REF vs. 6.6 LBZ/Allison.
Good call, i was about to post that myself.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by CatDiesel_762
Well, I have to say it depend on the driver and how willing he is to commit. Just the other week, I rolled up to a stoplight while downshifting into 2nd gear. The light changed and I figured I had the drop on the D-max and pull ahead since the road merge shortly after the light while going under a bridge. I would have made it too, but there was some left over snow from a recent snow storm along the embankment on my side of the road. It caught my truck and started to pull me towards a cement pilon (Bridge support). I had to let off the go pedal to regain control. Even the wife was peeved I did not take him. That dura max had a least a box on it (dont know what setting) and I am still running stock and a stock clutch and I was still ahead of him by at least a truck lenght.

Honestly, I believe it has to do with the driver and how well he knows his truck. The new D-max might be faster than their predasessors, but can they hold the load while going up hill loaded to the kilt?

A lot of Auto runners around here see me with a clutch and blast off from the light and when then they see me in their side window going neck and neck with them. They wonder how the hell did I catch them. Other times I just take my time. And play with them. Thats where the fun is at. Speeding up a little bit at a time and then finding the next gear while they got their go pedal mashed to the floor trying to get passed ya.
You would be really suprised how well the LBZ Dura pulls, even with 285 tires and it's tall 6th gear.