3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Repeated P2563 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repeated P2563 code

Hello, guys. I've been getting this code pretty regularly for the past few days: P2563, "Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit range/performance". The code is usually thrown in the morning when everything is cold. After 4 or 5 starts the CEL goes out and the truck performs normally. Today, however, the code came on twice during the same day. (BTW, my truck has about 56k miles on the odo.)

I took the truck to a local Dodge dealer and showed him the code. He indicated a new turbo was needed (I'm already on my 2nd turbo!). Interestingly, while I was there another customer with a truck similar to mine (but only 16k miles) was having the same problem. (Here's a good laugh: he asked the service tech what he would recommend and the tech told him to buy a Chevy!.....Honest! ). How's that for confidence?

Here's my question: I've got to tow my 5th wheel to Tucson on Friday (about 200 miles). Do you think I'll be OK for the duration? I don't want to use the dealer here...the locals give it a bad rap. Thanks....
Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 AM

I would think you would be OK, mine did that once so I took it out on the highway and ran the tar out of it with the e-brake on and did several decels. letting the e-brake do all the work, I also run with the e-brake on at all times and have the EGR disconnected. That seems to be keeping the soot from building up and gumming up both the sensor and the vanes in the turbo.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The best medicine is what you are fixing to do. Tow with it and give it a work out, while using the exhaust brake.

Consider deleting, with a dealer with that type of attitude, I wouldnt let them warranty my truck anyway.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM

The best medicine is what you are fixing to do. Tow with it and give it a work out, while using the exhaust brake.

Consider deleting, with a dealer with that type of attitude, I wouldnt let them warranty my truck anyway.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks, guys. The CEL has been behaving today so I'll be towing my fiver to Tucson tomorrow. The dealer says I can bring it in Saturday. I also have a friend there who is an expert diesel mechanic (his shop is virtually next to the dealer). I should be well covered.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure that the ecm is at the latest/greatest update, Inspect and clean or replace the EGR valve. Perform the turbo cleaning procedure.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Make sure that the ecm is at the latest/greatest update, Inspect and clean or replace the EGR valve. Perform the turbo cleaning procedure.
I had the J35 recall done last summer in Mississippi. The EGR valve has been replaced one time but that was a couple of years ago (I believe cleaning is due about 67,500 mi.). The turbo has also been replaced one time a few years ago (there is no cleanout port on this turbo).

I arrived in Tucson yesterday and the truck ran perfectly all the way. So far, the code hasn't returned. Perhaps the 225 mile trip towing my fiver has solved the problem, but time will tell. I do notice after towing that the e-brake sounds louder and exerts greater force after I disconnect the fiver. Don't know if that's normal after towing a load...
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Well, the code returned shortly after my arrival in Tucson. Went to the local dealer today and they drilled a hole in the turbo and injected solvent. Hopefully this will cure the problem for a while.

BTW, I was pleased with the dealership, Jim Click Dodge, even though I had to wait about 5 hours until the job was completed. But then, that's par for the course with most dealerships I've been to.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Mr Ed,
I would highly recommend that you consider doing the deletes.

I deleted my truck in Aug 09, and have not been back to the dealer since. I have improved the performance and fuel mileage on my truck since the deletes.

I have document all of my fuel mileage from Nov 07, when I bought this truck. The mileage has improved from 11.59 MPG in the time frame of 2007-2008 to 14.14 MPG in 2009-2010 in all driving conditions. This is the same time period for both mileage reports and includes towing my 5er.
I have pull this 5er in the mountains and on flat land durning the time frame of 2009-2010. This truck is a daily driver and I drive my truck where we go. This is just my $0.02.
Jim
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Jim, I appreciate your suggestion about doing the deletes and agree that it would be a good idea. What holds me back at this time is concern over the legality of deleting federally mandated equipment, although I realize many owners have done so without problems. As a matter of fact, while I was at the dealership I met a hot-shotter with a truck similar to mine who had done the deletes some time ago and now has about 300k+ on the engine. I was a bit envious but I'll probably hold off an the deletes until after the warranty expires. By that time I may even buy a new truck, so doing the deletes now may not be a smart move, financially. Anyway, I'm always open to suggestions and appreciate your input...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Ed;
I don't want to encourage ANYONE to violate any EPA Regulations they wouldn't violate on their own. That being said, to each his own but if you can turn a wrench it takes about 2 hours (Maximum - I'm 58 with a bad back) to delete or return to stock if you do the California deletes. My Dealer knows what I've done and has told me just to put all the EGR/DPF stuff back and reflash the ECM to Stock before I bring it in for warranty work.
I run +100hp w/85 POD and get 23.4 MPG (running empty - Hand Calc.) between Vancouver, WA and Seattle. Big improvement over the 17/18 that I was getting before. Just my .02 cents but I think you're missing out on a lot of your Trucks performance/milage abilities.
Dana
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm also no advocate of breaking the law, but this is an exception. The mandates are ridiculous, and in light of recent CARB misinformation, more than likely unlawful themselves.

Look at the benefits vs leaving stock and make and educated and sound decision.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree Blake. I've never been able to figure out the burn more fuel for cleaner air logic.
Dana
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the difference in the Ebrake performance before and after towing it sounds like the nozzle is hanging up in the turbo. The carbon cleaning procedure should clear out most of the soot buildup on the nozzle ring. I do know a few out there that once they got to the 100,000 mile mark the nozzle would hang up and required a cleanup/rebuild on the bench.

Hope it clears it up for you.