3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2563 Code

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bif iron, thanks for the info. I am going to try cleaning with a couple of 3rd. party products. I have Forte Fuel Booster in my tank now and will be ordering some revice which comes with an air atomizer and sprays directly into the turbo intake. Also I have ordered a scanner which hopefully will enlighten me. My MIL did go out for one trip (100km) but the next time I started the engine the light was back on. When I get the scanner I can clear the codes and monitor a bit closer (hopefully). Updating the ECM-is this something you need to request from the dealerÉ Again, thanks for the info. Bob:-)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:50 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It sounds like you are working on the intake side of the turbo and hoping this will clean/fix the turbo, but the codes and what Big Iron is describing is the turbine (exhaust) section of the turbo which includes the actuator for the variable vane geometry that gets sooted up. The cleaning port on the turbo is for the turbine side, not the intake (compressor side). The intake side should always be clean...
Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 PM

MegEngr, what you are saying makes sense now that you spell it out. As mentioned I am using a Forte product right now. It is a fuel additive and so I assume that it would have an effect on the exhaust side. That probably explains why it was recommended by the local mechanics. I had put more faith in the other product, Revive, but it sprays directly into the intake of the turbo and as you explained, there isn't going to be any soot there. You mentioned the actuator and several people pointed out that because my engine brake seems to be working quite well it would seem that my actuator is working. That is not to say that it may be sooted up and not have the complete range of travel.

What actually triggers a P2563 code. is it a measure of the actuator travel, a pressure differential/drop or...? Thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I dont know if its the same for the 6.7 or not, however after looking at many failed turbo complaints on the ISX engines, it usually omes down to the actuator not making the full travel. There is a diagnostic procedure from Cummins that states the control arm under the actuator should move freely with minimal resistance to get it moving. I have never found one where the turbo itself has failed but instead it was the actuator not making full movement. Inside the actuator is where the sensors are that tell the ECM the location of the vanes. All that said, a good cleaning sure wouldnt hurt anything.
The following users liked this post:
mega-engr (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks SagginWaggon, It's good to know how the problem is detected. Time will tell if cleaning helps. Like I've said a few times now, the truck actually runs well with no detectable exhaust smoke and the engine brake does seem to be working quite well so I'm guessing if there is some restriction to the actuator movement it's not a lot. Again thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya it doesn't take a lot of soot to get the actuator movement to get sticky and hang up a bit causing codes... You're exhaust brake could be functioning great but because the movement and actuation is stiff or hesitates this indicates needed cleaning of the turbine section to prevent bigger issues and failure. Hence why the factory clean/test runs up to 3 times and if it is not clean then damage has been done and a new one is needed. I think it is worth trying the cleaning of the turbine. Then delete/fix so it does not recurr.