3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not impressed with 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Where is a moderator when we need one? PG is putting PG13 language in his posts...against the rules.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
The Isuzu is all aluminum
no its not.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM

WOW you guys really need to get a grip on things. The guy sounds like he is stating facts. I love how brand loyalty equals blindness. I spend time on all the truck sites. Every truck has it's issues including Dodge. I was on the Ford site awhile back and they are all praising the 6.4. There is only one guy stating that he has over 10,000 miles on the thing. The reality is nobody really knows how that truck is going to be over the long haul. Chevy guys are still complaining about frequent CEL issues and limp modes on stock trucks. Dodge guys are whining about the trannies and the front ends. If anyone on any site knocks the sponsored site's vehicle brand they are called a troll.

PG nobody makes a truck that will be trouble free in that harsh of an enviroment. If Ford has an engine in their truck it might be the best bet. The oilfield guys I know have the best luck with gas trucks staying together. It seems that the heavy diesel over the front suspension simply beats the pee out of the thing. The 5.9/6.7's aren't lightweights so I am not surprised you see suspension malfuntions. I am a little surprised that you have tranny issues with a 48re. They are pretty tough. Maybe your company should look at manual transmissions. Unless the drivers are morons it should save some money. Muddy roads and hauling trailers is a little tough on manual trannies.

If Ford got the 6.4 right (pretty iffy right now) they will have a great package. Just don't expect fuel mileage. The interior build on those trucks is WAY nice. The only knock is the outrageous price tag!! Bells and whistles=$$$$

one4

Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
I do know that you won't find a powerstroke in the bigger Ford chassis (I think F-650 and above), and all the ones I have seen use 5.9b Cummins. That's pretty telling.
Also, none of these trucks were designed for oilfield hammering. I do think that is you quad shocked the front axle from the start they would last a lot longer on the washboard. Your kidneys, not so much!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Where is a moderator when we need one? PG is putting PG13 language in his posts...against the rules.
Yes I was notified that using the s work and a work isn't aloud. I didn't realize that weren't aloud and I'm sorry if it offended anyone.

The price tag here is about 2g difference between a fx4 ford and a Laramie dodge. Which isn't bad for the difference u get. Its 4g difference between the lariat and the Laramie.

Yea I have seen lots of people here in the bush use gas trucks, but its nice to be able to fill up out of your tidy tank, and I love the kinda power diesels make.

Its mostly torque converters slipping till they take out the tranny. I have only heard of a few people have their OD go out on them because there where chipped tho.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Lighten up fellas. This string reminds me of being a kid; you can pick on you own brother but let the neighbor do it and all heck break's loose. There are all sorts of complaints on this site about our trucks and people dont jump on the guy/gal; but let that person even insinuate they want to try something other than a cummins and he gets hammered. Like any product advocate we always hear the pros of our product and cons of the competitors but very seldom do we put any merit in the opposite side of either argument. Good luck PG with the Ford and I think their restyled tow mirrors look great.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 PM

not much signal to noise in this thread.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Hopefully one of the things that separates this site from others is the quality of folks using it.

Have to agree, he's stating information that from his point of view is fact. No big deal. If his Dodge, 5.9 or 6.7, seems like junk or whatever, so be it. Beating a guy up is pretty juvenile.

If a troll posts, the best defense/offense it to ignore him.

I happen to think my Dodge is awesome but others have had problems and chime in with their complaints. Same with Fords and Chevys.

Hey on this site we don't even agree on Mega vs. QC or 4wd vs. 2wd BUT at least the conversations (for the most part) are respectable and often times humorous.

Let it go.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM

The only thing i see so far about the ford is getting in there to change the spark plugs
Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by erics76
I thought I smelled a troll
Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

I just want to have him come back with his views on having to remove the entire cab of the 08 Ford truck to get the engine out!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by one4speed
The reality is nobody really knows how that truck is going to be over the long haul. Chevy guys are still complaining about frequent CEL issues and limp modes on stock trucks. Dodge guys are whining about the trannies and the front ends. If anyone on any site knocks the sponsored site's vehicle brand they are called a troll.
exactly!!

very nicely said.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:28 PM

When you say how smooth the power comes on, I think that's called turbo lag. Ford is famous for it. You best not be in a hurry to take off, because it's going to be slow getting started. I had a PowerJoke. Won't have another one.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Lancaster
When you say how smooth the power comes on, I think that's called turbo lag. Ford is famous for it. You best not be in a hurry to take off, because it's going to be slow getting started. I had a PowerJoke. Won't have another one.
Have u driving the new 6.4 ford? I know what turbo lag is, the 6.0 has tones of it. The new 6.4 has a twin turbo design and there is way less lag compared to the 6.0. From a stand still or doing MPH when u step on the throttle the dodge has a more of a firm shift and the ford and Chev are more smoother.

If anyone cares the power problem with the 6.7 we had, was a couple loose injectors.

I don't keep trucks much longer past when the warranty is up, so if they gotta pull the cab off or remove the whole box it don't matter to me. Its there problem not mine. Me personally will never have to pull the engine out so it don't make much difference to me.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Is the truck fixed now PG? What do you think of it's performance now?

The 6.4 should perform very well. Hopefully the emission stuff doesn't cause any more headaches. Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. With the headaches for had with the 6.0liter the 6.4 should be a much improved version if that saying holds true:-)

one4

Quick Reply: Not impressed with 6.7