3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not impressed with 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta look at what you have. First off, what the heck does a knuckle have to do with whether you're impressed with the 6.7 engine? It's part of the drivetrain, but it doesn't mean the engine is junk. The Dodge trannies have been notorious for being on the weak side, but stuff a performance converter in once and be done with it. If you think your luck will get better with the Ford, just look at the recent years since 03, and the 6.4 is having some issues already as well. From what i've read mpg is not real impressive, worse than other new engines of the past. I've also read that it is surprisingly slow. One owner also stated that an 07 stock duramax ran all over it in a drag race, same body/cab configs for both trucks. I doubt Ford will have to worry about warranty claims on them, cuz it sounds like they're gonna void everyone's warranty on the engine if you let it breathe fart contaminated air.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by PG4x4
U read my mind. I'm picking up a 08 ford with 6" lift and 37's tommorow. Imo the interior on the dodge looks cheap plastic like compared to the ford. The dodge handles easy, turns tight and rides smooth. The front ends dont last as long as the fords, but longer then chevs. Power wise when the dodge runs, the power is snappy and firm shift. On the ford the power is smooth and shifts arent as harsh. Chev is same as the ford power wise. Thats what I have found out so far.
Your gonna pay for that choice, these trucks are going to be even worse than the 6.0, think about it, about 40 THOUSAND of those trucks have already been recalled, some have left the factory without head gaskets, and working on them is edited by admin near impossible unless you have a lift. There isn't going to be anything good about that truck, I work for a ford dealership, I love listening to the diesel tech's edited by admin about the trucks, but I just tell them you have job security, nothing break's down like a ford does

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 04-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by erics76
Sounds like you need to try a ford.
Flame thrower......??
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...02-26&id=23999

enough said
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Maybe the problem isn't Dodge, maybe it's the driver
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM

I guess I should of put not happy with dodge product. It seems all of our trucks the 3 dodges keep having problems. We have 3 dodges, 4 chevs, and 6 fords. I can tell u all the problems with every make and it seems the dodge has the worest track record so far that all. I know people with other dodges and they run 120hp chip all day long with not a single problem. So I dkn if our dodges where build fri nite or something or what. I can type a 2 pages worth of everything that has gone wrong with each truck we have ever owned.

If I stick a aftermarket converter in a truck with 25,000km then I spend $2000 and void my tranny warrenty for that truck. So I might aswell stick a tranny and converter which will run me about $7000cdn otd for a truck that has warrenty for 160,000kms. Why should I have to front that bill in order for my truck to be reliable day in day out? I offered the dealer I would pay the difference of what it would cost to stick an aftermarket setup vs replacing it with stock gear, but they wouldn't go for it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jtkplc
Maybe the problem isn't Dodge, maybe it's the driver
So they are meant to be highway/town trucks and not bush work trucks?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 PM

So they are meant to be highway/town trucks and not bush work trucks?
Good Luck with your ford! head on over to www.thedieselstop.com maybe you can contribute to there forum! Buy for now...
Old 04-18-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
The Ferd and Brand X engines are "light" duty, as opposed to the Cummins "medium" duty rating. You can't kill a Cummins unless you do something really stupid.
The Isuzu is all aluminum and the Navistar is a junk pile and always has been. Ever driven a U-Haul? What a pile. Ever driven a 1st Gen 5.9 Cummins? NOT a pile, unless you hate engines that go 1,000,000 miles or more with average care.
We buy trucks for the power plant.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 PM

I

If I stick a aftermarket converter in a truck with 25,000km then I spend $2000 and void my tranny warrenty for that truck. So I might aswell stick a tranny and converter which will run me about $7000cdn otd for a truck that has warrenty for 160,000kms. Why should I have to front that bill in order for my truck to be reliable day in day out? I offered the dealer I would pay the difference of what it would cost to stick an aftermarket setup vs replacing it with stock gear, but they wouldn't go for it.
sticking an aftermarket converter in isn't gonna void the warranty. You tell the dealer theirs sucks and they should know it.

As for the last post saying all the nav's suck, not really. The 7.3 was just starting to get really good before they fudged it all up with the 6.0. Thanks to the government.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 PM

I guess I should of put not happy with dodge product. It seems all of our trucks the 3 dodges keep having problems. We have 3 dodges, 4 chevs, and 6 fords. I can tell u all the problems with every make and it seems the dodge has the worest track record so far that all. I know people with other dodges and they run 120hp chip all day long with not a single problem. So I dkn if our dodges where build fri nite or something or what. I can type a 2 pages worth of everything that has gone wrong with each truck we have ever owned.

Exactly how many of those trucks have YOUR NAME on the title? I'm betting none. Just anoher dilerious wanna be ford owner who probrably can' afford a gasser let alone ANY new diesel.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned

Um....
I dont mean to sound stupid or anything.....but I quite often do

What's a bush work truck?
Is that a political thing?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 AM

A bush truck is what you abuse when you work in Prince George... Middle of nowhere in BC and sitting on 5 billion barrels of oil.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
sticking an aftermarket converter in isn't gonna void the warranty. You tell the dealer theirs sucks and they should know it.

As for the last post saying all the nav's suck, not really. The 7.3 was just starting to get really good before they fudged it all up with the 6.0. Thanks to the government.
If I stick a aftermarket converter in and my tranny goes, they are going to say no warrenty cause of the converter. I allready asked if I could do that and thats the response I got.

A bush truck is a truck that drives 2hrs aday on Edit
gravel roads packing 1000lbs. It gets drivin hard 6 days a week and roughly gets 1200miles put on a week. I'm not going to lie and say these trucks aren't drivin hard because they are. I bet u more the 80% of the people on this forum prolly dont put no where near the amount of stress/abuse that bush/work trucks go thru. Hell might aswell be running baja minus the jumps for what these trucks get put thru. Anyone who is a logger or works on the rigs will prolly tell u the same.

I'm not saying nothing bad about cummins. They are good engines when in vehicles/trucks. Cummins in heavy duty equipment are a totally diff story.

The only reason I said the chev motor was better then the 6.7 was cause its not a new motor being put into a vehicle and the 6.7 is.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 AM

I personally think that some of you guys are being a little rough on pg. He is right, every truck out there has its plus's and minus's. Here in Grande Prairie we see the rough stuff that trucks can go through. A good indicator as to what trucks work and which ones dont is to look at what the oil patch guys are driving. I have to tell you, there is a lot of fords out there. Ford makes a much stronger front end then our dodges, I think that with the extra weight of the cummins and rough roads the front ends will prematurely wear out on our trucks. That being said, I know of a few companies that have went away from the fords because of engine problems, but are willing to take a chance on the 6.4 because they miss the rest of the truck. Alot of these same guys wish that Chev would build a real truck that had a real tough front end in it, cause to be honest the duramax is a good engine, and well the allison is just an awesome tranny (dont we all wish we could have an allison behind our 5.9?)

So I guess what I am saying, is listen to what he is saying, give him a break, and wish him luck with that 6.4

Kevin

Quick Reply: Not impressed with 6.7