3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need opinions on drw 3500!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need opinions on drw 3500! (mod please move to 02-07)

I have an 06 2500 mega srw 6spd manual that with taller tires, exhaust,bully dog, and K&N gets 20mpg avg.(I didn't order the anti-spin because it would only come with 410s) My problem is that it is snowing like crz this year in the midwest. The d-mn thing gets stuck in snow all the time! So, I am intersted in buying a quad cab dually 3500 long box 373/anti-spin for more traction. I do not want to go 4X4 because I know the mileage will SUCK! I am intersted in peoples opinions on whether or not to get another manual, or the 48RE, 06/07 5.9.
What do you guys think? Is the tranny as big a POS as most people say on this forum? Should I just stick with the manual, I don't mind shifting? Scott

P.S. I don't mind changing to 342s if need be.Sorry I put this post in wrong place.

Last edited by cscott67; 02-20-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Put post in the wrong thread!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM

From what i read, it seems like the DRW is not as good as a SRW in the snow. I would go with the manual instead of the 49RE if you don't mind the shifting. If you get an 07 you can get the 6spd auto transmission. The link below is the dually in snow thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=drw+snow
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cscott67
(I didn't order the anti-spin because it would only come with 410s)
3.73's are commonplace with the anti-spin differential. Apparently your selling dealer is a candidate for the special olympics.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 PM

If you like your truck get some snow tires for the winter and put some weight in the bed, and if you still need more get some sort of a posi. BTW drw trucks are even worse in the snow without four wheel drive.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Cool Thanks for the replies.......

The crappy part is I already have an engine block and two large welding tanks in the back with the aggressive toyo tires! I dunno, maybe I'll just add the anti-spin and 342s and see how it goes. Anyone else have any opinions? Thanks again for the advice, Scott
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DR7seclx
If you like your truck get some snow tires for the winter and put some weight in the bed, and if you still need more get some sort of a posi. BTW drw trucks are even worse in the snow without four wheel drive.
X2 I am all over the place with mine. 4WD is a must with a dually in deep snow
Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM

My 05 dually was great on snow pack hardly ever put it in 4 wheel drive, of course if there was any slush or accumulated snow i didn't move without 4 wheel drive.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM

on your 2wd you need weight, i had a 2wd f250 that sucked so bad on the snow, till i put weight on it, i had to haul a rear end from another truck so all that weight was excellent in the snow, i drove thru everything in the snow and i didn't get stuck anywhere. sure its a lot of weight to be carring but for traction is good. now if you get off the road on some deep snow, it doesn't matter how much weight you got. so i end up trading for my 4x4 dodge dually and i love it, i live in the chicago area so i know about the snow too, my dually is great in 4wd, 2wd is not crazy in deep snow (3" plus of snow). btw i'm getting about 17-18mpg hand calculated empty. so is not that bad since you are getting 20 in a 2wd.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Theere was only a dusting on the hill part of my driveway this winter, just enough to put white on the ground, and I had to put it in 4 wheel to get up, even with CR-6 showing through. My mom's 2wd Excursion on the other hand was fine. You would think a dually would be better in the snow but because of the weight distribution over the rear tire's, it isn't.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 PM

DRW is not better in the snow because with four wheels you are effectively removing weight from the rear end. However, you are gaining two extra tires for traction. Add ARB air lockers to the rear end and haul a lot of weight. The air lockers will lock up the axle when engaged and when disengaged will leave your rear end open, thus maintaining your fuel mileage.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM

ive been working in the branson, mo area for the past couple of weeks, the weather has been on and off shiesty more off then on i guess you could say, the motel im staying has a pretty steep parking lot, w/ a lil moisture and and ice down id always have to put it into 4h to just get out of the parking lot where as my boss his truck ram 2500 quadcab short bed auto cummins, doesnt have a problem at all creeping out, i thought that my truck would do half way decent in the snow but it likes to spin the tires a bit, maybe i just dont know how to drive in that kinda weather being from south tx an all lol
Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM

I have the anti spin with 4.10's on my dually. My chain is trashed on the t case so no 4 wheel drive right now. It's not fun. I got stuck at work just turning around. My front tire came off the drive a little and the rears would not pull it out. IMO stick with what you have. Also...the anti spin does not usually lock up in snow (not enough resistance) unless you use the parking break a little. Sometimes it's better to have one rear spinning instead of both. Keeps your lateral traction.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Foster
DRW is not better in the snow because with four wheels you are effectively removing weight from the rear end. However, you are gaining two extra tires for traction. Add ARB air lockers to the rear end and haul a lot of weight. The air lockers will lock up the axle when engaged and when disengaged will leave your rear end open, thus maintaining your fuel mileage.
You are not 'removing weight' w/ DRW. You just have alot more tire contact, so there is less pressure on the snow. Just like big sports car tires not doing well in snow compared to cookie cutter skinny tires. The two extra tires don't gain traction for you they cause you to have less.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM

From my college physics days at GMI we used to call this problem low tractive effort. In other words less load over the larger contact area (duallie vs. single) same friction coefficient with dualies as with single tires which has been stated over and over. My simple solution is duallie chains, work great when I have to absolutely drive in the slippery snot stuff. 4wd is also good and I have only put chains on once in very deep wet stuff in NM.
Love my duallie and will put up with slip once in awhile. someone also mentioned parking brake, we call that brake modulation and it works great with no lockers. But I would recommend light touch on the brake petal then slowly give it throttle, this will allow torque transfer to occur in some cases.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 AM

I live in Texas now but I'm from the Idaho panhandle. I know it sounds funny and looks kind of funny too, but remove the inside tires so you only are running single wheels in the rear. This gives you more pressure per square inch on the snow/ice thus providing better traction. This also helps in the slush preventing the rearend from hydroplaning when you hit deep pockets of slush. Hope this will keep you out of the ditch and body shop!!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on drw 3500!