3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dually and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dually and Snow

So what's a dually like in the snow compared to a single?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by blownsmoke

Thanks
Harder to do a 360 with a dually than a single.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Less ground pressure.. Overall less traction... On a single wheel the front tires can somewhat compact the snow before the rear tires go over the same spot... Not the case with a dually...

Normally single wheels are better in the snow/ boat ramp/ mud/ wet grass/ etc...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

i dont know about that donut thing. my dually will sling a pretty rowdy donut.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks
One word. Terrible!

The rear tires being wider do not run in the rut from the front tire, plus they float around due to the reduced contact pressure.

Living in a land with snow on the ground 7 months of the year, I went to singles on the back of my dually.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM

All over!!!

I am all over the place with my dually in the snow and ice for that matter! Even with a large load I slide like crazy I have to put on chains in the craziest of places to get any decent traction!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM

So what about a long bed Vs a short..? SRW
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM

So what about a long bed Vs a short..? SRW
not sure if a long bed or short bed will matter. I use to have a 2005 Chevy 2500 crew cab gasser short bed and it did great in the snow.

As long as you are SRW you should be fine no matter what the bed length
Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM

HUmm - As you may have guessed, I'm looking for a new truck and trying to decide what I want. My brother is telling me get a long bed but I'm not so sure.. I have a Chevy 2500HD CrewCab short now.. I like the Dually but we get a fair amount of snow here.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM

HUmm - As you may have guessed, I'm looking for a new truck and trying to decide what I want. My brother is telling me get a long bed but I'm not so sure.. I have a Chevy 2500HD CrewCab short now.. I like the Dually but we get a fair amount of snow here.
Well it depends on what will work best for you. If you need the dually for hauling that is the best thing to get as for the snowy time of year you can always put a wide single tire on the back sometimes called a super single! Just depends on what will work best for you. Maybe a 3500 SRW and put the wide tires on it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Biggest reason that I went with a SRW in mine is due to the fact I did not want to be paying for 6 tires instead of 4. I have absolutely no problems with driving my 3500 quad cab,LB, SRW in snow or ice. However I did have so problems with my friends dually I drove last year in the snow. Snow kept getting packed between the duals. Also didnt help that the tires were balding out pretty bad.

With towing I've towed a 28' horse trailer with both my friends dually and my truck and I dont notice to much of a difference. I guess look at the cost savings of going SRW verse Dually and see where you come out.

good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by rogers259
Biggest reason that I went with a SRW in mine is due to the fact I did not want to be paying for 6 tires instead of 4. I have absolutely no problems with driving my 3500 quad cab,LB, SRW in snow or ice. However I did have so problems with my friends dually I drove last year in the snow. Snow kept getting packed between the duals. Also didnt help that the tires were balding out pretty bad.

With towing I've towed a 28' horse trailer with both my friends dually and my truck and I dont notice to much of a difference. I guess look at the cost savings of going SRW verse Dually and see where you come out.

good luck with your purchase.

The biggest difference I see Vs my srw is that when you are pulling really heavy and real long it tends to firm you up and you dont sway as bad! That is the biggest reason I like the dually also for a little extra blow out protection while pulling.

As for the dually in the snow it is really bad. I have to slap on chains in the smallest amounts of snow. I never had to do that with my SRW.

What kind of life do you get out of a set of tires on a SRW 3500?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Weight is your friend in snow with a dually.
Especially with a Rear-Wheel Drive.

I have 800 pounds of sand tubes that ride in the bed just in front of the rear axle when the stuff gets sloppy.
If it gets REAL bad, I leave the dually at home and take the Wifey's Landcruiser.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Weight is your friend in snow with a dually.
Especially with a Rear-Wheel Drive.

I have 800 pounds of sand tubes that ride in the bed just in front of the rear axle when the stuff gets sloppy.
If it gets REAL bad, I leave the dually at home and take the Wifey's Landcruiser.
Yeah weight is your friend I forgot to say I have put sand bags in the back as well we my wife and I go north for vacation. I got a few bags from home depot! The play sand is real cheap if you dont have a sand source close by. Now when you are pulling a 4 car trailer loaded in the snow then you have some nice weight holding you back and that can be real real fun especially when you go up a grade
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

I havent ever had a problem with my dually and really I think it does just as good if not better than any of the single wheel trucks i had

Quick Reply: Dually and Snow