3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

making fuel and EGR delete....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
making fuel and EGR delete....

in 1500 miles, I have made about 1/4 inch of motor oil. If I delete the EGR will it keep it from overfueling......I have searched and just got confused...
Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe the programmer (that allows you to delete like the Smarty) will stop the extra injection cycles that seem to cause the fuel getting into the oil. Just another benefit of the programmer and delete scenario.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Both the Smarty and the H&S will disable the 4th injection event (regen shot).
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I did the deletes, my truck was making oil too. I then unplugged the egr and it stopped making oil (not sure why as the regens were still occurring), but it derated the power, but my fuel economy in town and highway, running empty went up. Since the deletes are done, the power is back and no more making oil.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Same with me. For a few days after I did smarty jr and the delete, I did not delete the egr. Just as you say, made oil. I then followed Mads instructions and pulled the spring out of the egr and as suggested by one of the other forum members, (can't remember which one) put the egr back in it's original position. Since then no more makin oil. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:03 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Bluetek
Same with me. For a few days after I did smarty jr and the delete, I did not delete the egr. Just as you say, made oil. I then followed Mads instructions and pulled the spring out of the egr and as suggested by one of the other forum members, (can't remember which one) put the egr back in it's original position. Since then no more makin oil. Good luck.
How did you like the looks of the EGR when you cracked into it? A bit sooty?

Makes one wonder why you'd need a good air filter with that being fed back in.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM

I was totally amazed at the amount of soot. No wonder my oil turned black so fast. Also, in the 1st section of the delete from the turbo.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
"California Style"

I was also amazed at the input to the NOX (as in my delete case) being so sooty as well yet the output of the DPF was nice and white.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Making oil, smarty question

My truck has been making oil, even worse since the last update a month ago (went up 2 quarts in 2,000 miles). Unless you leave the oil down from the top of the stick it can be hard to see just how fast it comes up. I am not going to try and look for a dealer fix any more. I am not looking to make any more power, just don't want fuel in the oil. I understand the DPF delete (picked up some pipe for it today) and EGR stuff, but how do you setup the SMARTY? I do not see any info on their web site about the delete (maybe I missed it). Also, do they offer a "stock" power setting, I see they have 10 other ones?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by etoy
My truck has been making oil, even worse since the last update a month ago (went up 2 quarts in 2,000 miles). Unless you leave the oil down from the top of the stick it can be hard to see just how fast it comes up. I am not going to try and look for a dealer fix any more. I am not looking to make any more power, just don't want fuel in the oil. I understand the DPF delete (picked up some pipe for it today) and EGR stuff, but how do you setup the SMARTY? I do not see any info on their web site about the delete (maybe I missed it). Also, do they offer a "stock" power setting, I see they have 10 other ones?
Hello, and, Welcome to the DTR!

The Smarty is very simple to set up and the software version that youll want to run can be downloaded here.

http://www.madselectronics.com/DownloadS67ME.html

The loading program as well as instructions can be downloaded there as well. Smarty does not have a stock setting per say, and if you are not looking to make big power, take a look at the Smarty Jr.

Delete info can be found here.

http://www.madselectronics.com/CodeF...EGRDelete.html
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Just wondering how do they know that the ECU has had a smarty on it (other than checking the number of flashes)? At this point I don't really care about the warranty, just the 15% fuel in oil...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Well, the 6.7 ecm records so many parameters no programmer on the market is undetectable. These trucks are getting really advanced.

If youre not worried about warranty, and can get away with the emissions delete with no worry of testing or fines, have at it, you will be much much happier, and so will your 6.7.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
"California Style"

True, they have a 1/2 HP setting and 30 HP setting, nothing "stock". Making oil is just one of the MANY reasons I deleted and sounds like you need to also. Go ahead and remove 5 easy bolts/clamps on the EGR crossover tube and take a look at what goes on behing the scenes of your air filter .

Clean up the intake, no more oil making, more power, better economy, no CELs.

Who needs any stinking warantee for all those problems?