3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dpf Delete And Egr Plate/unplug

Old 10-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dpf Delete And Egr Plate/unplug

Okay I have read almost all of the threads on DPF deletes and EGR unplug/block plate and I wanted to pick you guys and girls brain. Im a newbie on here and my truck is completely stock and last week for the first time my CEL came on. I ran her down to the dealer and they told me that while my DPF wasnt full, my catalyst was, and that since I had the 70000 mile maximum care warranty theyd be taking all of it off and cleaning it out at no cost to me (other than being without my baby for three days). When picking her up my service dealer inquired as to my thoughts on DPF deletes (cause my dealer knew of course that I drive offroad all the time) and expressed that the dealers view on it was that it only voided the emissions and exhaust warranty. So after researching I am considering the DPF delete and EGR block plate/unplug. My questions are:

What are the differences/benefits between the DPF delete Stage 1, 2, 3 kits?

Ive heard some neg things about BADP but they are close to where I live and I think the owner is a fireman so I might get a discount...Is there a reason HS is better?

Do you recommend the EGR block plates or just unplugging the EGR?

If you recommend the unplug route what about when I plug it back in for a trip to the dealer, will there not be a large amount of concentrated soot build up in my EGR that will be dumped into my engine all at once? That cant be good?

Lastly I do not want a whistle when I get the delete do you recommend some type of muffler over the other? Or maybe just getting the exhaust guide?

My dealer did however say they dont like (in not so many words would void my warranty) the aftermarket tuners like Juice and etc. However I think they would be okay with the edge insight as all it does is analyze engine performance and does not modify it.

Thank you very much for all of your input.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
gw2

Well H&s doesnt have a code free ready yet and u will have to have some sort of tuner to get rid of the cel light.
Get the egr delete and the cooler delete so ur system will be efficent and leave the little egr buterfly plugged up just relocate it with a zip strip and un hook the metal wires. so u dont get a light from that
And last of all if u dont want a whistle leave all ur stock stuff on cause once u start deletein stuff ur exhaust brake sounds like a jet takin off
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Parafiredieles;

I unplugged the black cast iron EGR unit on the drivers side, I fabricated caps to block off the EGR crossover pipe, and removed the butterfly from the intake, and blew out all the Soot from the intake. All of the other wires are connected, even the butterfly controller.
I am running the BADP Fooler boxes, This is three plugs that take the place of the EGT Probes in the exhaust, No problem with them.
I installed Magnaflow’s 5” Stainless Steel, Turbo Back pipe. I got it from BADP.
The pressure lines are removed, and no longer used. The two O2 sensors are reinstalled into the Magnaflow pipe.
I did not like the Loud Hiss from the straight pipe, when the Exhaust Brake comes on, so I installed Magneflow’s SS Muffler. This got rid of the Hiss!
I installed the Edge Juice, with Attitude, with the EGT Probe that mounts in the exhaust manifold.
I do not race my truck! I run the Edge on level 1 (Economy) and it clears the codes at startup.
I now love my truck! It is running great, and is getting 21.5MPG.
I have a Boxer, that goes everywhere with us, and I can now leave my truck Idling at the Sporting Clay Range for 3 to 5 hours, get in and drive off with no problems at all! I couldn’t do that before!!
My Dodge dealer knows what I have done to my truck, and has no problem with it.
Just last week, he installed a new Turbo under warranty, with all the above mods left on the truck. I was not having any problem with the old Turbo, but a couple of months back, they drilled a cleanout hole in it. I did not like this, since there were very few threads for the new plug, He agreed, and installed the new Turbo.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks

Thanks guys, I cant do the performance tuner as my dealer has said he doesnt like them but thats great news about the muffler and I will definitely be getting one, I dont need any airplanes in my driveway. I agree on the idling and thats one of the big reasons why Im doing this....I mean a diesel truck you cant idle.... Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM

If I were you, I would talk to the shop again about the Edge. If they trust you, you may be able to install it.
I mounted my Attitude, just to the left of the 6 speed manual floor shift.
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM

Badp Dpf

I just got off the phone with the BADP guys and they are selling a GEN 2 4 inch delete that uses your factory muffler and just deletes the cat and DPF. This kit is code free. Think Im gonna go with that...just need to make sure I can get the cat dpf delete in stainless as I dont mind replacing the rest of my muffler system once it rusts but want that part to last.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM

You will still get the hiss out of the tailpipe. You will need an additional muffer to eliminate the hiss...

I just got a code reader to read and clear my codes....
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
You will still get the hiss out of the tailpipe. You will need an additional muffer to eliminate the hiss...

I just got a code reader to read and clear my codes....
If thats true then I might as well go with the five inch and get the ss muffler. I was just trying to avoid the extra cost but guess its irrevelant in the long run. As far as the code reader goes which did you choose? Does it clear your CEL? I can live with the light if I have too, but was thinking that with the insight I could learn more about whats going on overall with my truck....I want this truck to last a long time so money spent on a product that will help it last is not a problem....well to a certain degree
Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM

As long as the EGR is unplugged and there is no fooler plugged in it's place then you will have that CEL even after clearing codes. I got my Code Reader at Harbor Freight for around $90.00. It reads and clears them...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:58 PM

DPF delete without EGR

Okay so Ive talked to my dealer and they've said they'd only void my emissions warranty if I go the DPF delete because Id be driving off road but would not even talk about a EGR delete. My question is if I do the DPF delete but not the EGR will I have a problem as everyone on here seems to have done both. And will I get much out of just deleting the DPF and not unplugging/plating off the EGR. My dealer doesnt seem to like the idea of tuners of any type or form, and after reading a few of diesel Ladies posts it sounds like I cant clear the computer before I go in or it will throw a flag, making just unplugging the cursed EGR not an option? The dealer said I should consider using the tx lemon law and going back to a 5.9L since I only have 15000 miles on my truck....my jaw nearly fell off....I dont think I could give my baby up....Id just keeping paying at the pump and buyin warranty extensions before I did that.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:32 PM

You can do the DPF delete without the EGR delete but the EGR is the one that will give you the great mileage.
You can just plug the EGR back in a couple days before going to the dealer and the CEL will disappear. If it doesn't then you just ask them to check out your CEL and see why it's there..
Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by parafirediesel
Okay so Ive talked to my dealer and they've said they'd only void my emissions warranty if I go the DPF delete because Id be driving off road but would not even talk about a EGR delete. My question is if I do the DPF delete but not the EGR will I have a problem as everyone on here seems to have done both. And will I get much out of just deleting the DPF and not unplugging/plating off the EGR. My dealer doesnt seem to like the idea of tuners of any type or form, and after reading a few of diesel Ladies posts it sounds like I cant clear the computer before I go in or it will throw a flag, making just unplugging the cursed EGR not an option? The dealer said I should consider using the tx lemon law and going back to a 5.9L since I only have 15000 miles on my truck....my jaw nearly fell off....I dont think I could give my baby up....Id just keeping paying at the pump and buyin warranty extensions before I did that.
Did my dpf delete back in February and unplugged the egr about Sept 1.
Have recorded every fuel purchase, gallons, mileage, time and type of driving since 2003. Average 2,500 miles per month.
Gained 2 mpg with the dpf delete and only .75 mpg with the egr unplug.
I would recommend doing the dpf delete now with your dealers approval and wait to unplug the egr until your dealer learns that it will not harm your engine.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 AM

Hmmm. I did the EGR first and got a 3-4 mpg gain. I did the DPF delete and mileage did not get any better.......
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 AM

You need to disconnect the EGR Now!
If you want to save your engine, disconnect it now. You would be amazed at how much crap this puts back into your engine.
If you do not want to completely block it off, at least unplug it.
OH! And go with the 5” with the Magneflow Muffler, you will not have the Hiss with this set up.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Im leaning

Im leaning towards leaving the EGR plugged in but relocating the butterfly (gw2 seems to think it wont throw a code), and fabing some thin plates to keep the EGR in place, that way I might not throw a code. I want to unplug the EGR but my dealer does not want me too, so I have to do it in such a way that I get no code and its not obvious i.e.-leave the egr intact but put some thin plates in to block. As far as the DPF goes Im gonna run over to BADP sometime soon and buy the GEN2 kit that they say does not throw a code....we'll see about that....maybe Ill let them install it and then ask for a discount when it throws a code lol...worth a try at least Believe me I want to do everything I can to help prolong the life of my engine, but on the same not Im not looking to void my 70,000 mile maximum care warranty and my 100,000 mile engine warranty. Thanks guys your advice continues to be exceptional.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dpf Delete And Egr Plate/unplug