3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Idling question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling question

If we are not supposed to idle our trucks for more than 10 min., how do you defrost your windshield after an ice or snow storm, or even just on a frosty morning?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM

guess none of the engineers have ever been in a traffic jam!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM

It's OK to idle your truck, they just want you to do it at the high idle setting if it will be for more than a minute or two. If it isn't already, have your dealer activate it for free since you have an auto trans.

If you idle for extended periods of time, use the high idle. It supposedly helps keep the DPF clean(er) by running a little warmer (passive regen) and burns a little cleaner. Also, anytime you are idling at 1100 rpm or higher with the trans in park or neutral, the ECM does not log this as "idling", it will log as normal run time.

Thats important because Dodge has gotten really weird about idle time showing in the log on your ECM. If you go in with a CEL or DPF issue and have what they consider "excessive" idle time they threaten to void warranty. Personally, I want to see them try to void a warranty under those conditions so someone can sue their ***es off and win. Then some of that nonsense will stop.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Im really curious if high idle feature will help with the DPF and cause "higher EGTs", that is why i posted a thread asking ppl with EGT guages to do some research. I have gotten no responses from anyone with a 6.7 but ppl have responded that have a 5.9 and they say their EGTs DROP when high idle is engaged, which would lead me to believe, more emmisions + lower EGT= clogging DPF....
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM

I just got off of the phone and asked my dealership about the high idle feature on my 6.7, and he told me that they wouldn't recommed it due to clogging the DPF quicker.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Also, I have been reading other forums about idling with the e-brake on, does this make a difference? Also my truck has a man tran.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM

OK Riddler, I went out and ran this test just to answer your questions: I am at 6590 feet elevation, outside air temp is 70 degrees, truck was warmed up to normal operating temp (188 degrees) and air cond, heater, and exhaust brake are all turned off. Pyro is installed pre-turbo, Commander gauges.

So, I let it idle at normal RPM (700) with the transmission in Park for about 5 minutes to achieve maximum cool down, then I started using high idle in 100 RPM increments. I kept it at each RPM level for 2 minutes and recorded the temps, here are the results:

700 RPM = 250
1100 RPM = 280
1200 RPM = 295
1300 RPM = 310
1400 RPM = 320
1500 RPM = 325

With high idle turned off and the transmission in drive, it still idles at 700 RPM but the temp shoots up to 425 and stays there.

Turning the EB on or off during these tests made no difference at all in temps. The only time I saw a difference is when I started it cold, turned on high idle, then turned on the EB. The jet noise would start and the temp would shoot up about 100 degrees, and fall back that same amount if you turned the EB off, so it definitely makes a difference during warm up.

As far as I know you have to have EGT temps above 720 in order to achieve active regen, so that clearly isn't happening. I'm not sure how much passive regen can occur at these temperatures. I do have to think it idles cleaner and/or burns the fuel more completely at the higher idle RPM, plus the ECM won't log it as idle time if it's at 1100 RPM or higher.

Happy? Now, explain the story behind the chihahua with the evil eyes and the hypodermic needle in it's mouth?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by engine2007
Also, I have been reading other forums about idling with the e-brake on, does this make a difference? Also my truck has a man tran.
That is what the paperwork with my Pac Brake states. I would think the high idle would be a better way of warming up though......

BTW, you six speed guys CAN have the high idle enabled. Just have to ground a particular pin on the ECM (#22 I believe, do a search).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
That is what the paperwork with my Pac Brake states. I would think the high idle would be a better way of warming up though......

BTW, you six speed guys CAN have the high idle enabled. Just have to ground a particular pin on the ECM (#22 I believe, do a search).
The dealership told me that it can be done, but it's not recommended, so far I have not had any problems, will have to wait and see.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM

MTNTrucker, Thanks for running those tests for me! Im glad some one did. that clears up some things for me. I run my high idle either way b/c of cylinder wash, i just wasnt sure if it would help with the DPF or not.

the chihuahua picture.... You like that huh lol ill see if i can find the full size picture and the story behind it. I cant remember what the deal was, i just saw the picture and had to have it!!! lmao. Itll definitely catch your eye!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM

I think you also wanted to see one of the new trucks with the 2" front leveling kit installed? I uploaded photos of mine into my profile if you want to how how the truck sits with those installed.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM

high idle on 6.7 manual

there is an easy way to ground the correct pin. under the dash, behind the park brake assembly, you will find a large white electrical connector. behind that connector, you will find a green with orange stripe wire that has a black heat shrink on the end, total length of wire is about 3 inches. add a terminal to that and ground it and your setup is complete. just have the dealer enable the pto high idle option and you should be good to go. worked on my 07 6.7 with the 6spd manual.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MtnTrucker
I think you also wanted to see one of the new trucks with the 2" front leveling kit installed? I uploaded photos of mine into my profile if you want to how how the truck sits with those installed.

yup, ur truck looks awesome. I definitely need to get a leveling kit. im leaning towards the lorenz kit.