3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I want 4x2, cant find it, will I like the 4x4? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want 4x2, cant find it, will I like the 4x4? HELP

Hey guys,

OK, ready to order the truck. Want black dually with Mega cab. We are here in TX and I just don’t think I need the 4x4... Don’t get me wrong, if I had a fleet of cars and this was a work truck only I would probably get it in one second. This is going to be an everyday truck and a work truck to pull our trailers around TX and across the country. This has been a big hang up for me weather I should get the 4x4 or just what I want, and that is the 4x2...

Here is now the problem, NO ONE has the truck I want (just how I want it) and the cut off date to order what I want ended a few weeks ago. I’ve been told that they will start taking the 08' orders in a few weeks and we MIGHT have the truck by October or something..... I need it for work this summer..

So it’s coming down to brass tacks, I might not have a choice. They do have the truck in the USA with 4x4 but "not as yet" found a 4x2.... I think I would like the ride better as well with the 4x2 and "I" kinda like the front lower on the 4x2 as far as looks go... We are going to get the Mega-cab long bed conversion done as well.

Can the forum members give me a good idea what the difference in fuel economy is or the ride differences between the 4x4 and the 4x2.. And some HONEST opinions on the ride quality. I do so much high way for such long hauls ( I drive 15 hours straight often) I don’t want the 4x4 to break my back off....

Any input would be great..... again, we are looking for a Dually with or with out 4x4.. I would like to get a 4x2................... THANKS AGAIN !
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM

I have 4x2's. No complaints at all. When I tow heavy I do not have any sag whatsoever. I get very acceptable mileage for the speeds I drive too.

But I'll tell you what, my 4x2 and a 4x4 coming at you on the road and you look, you won't take your eyes off the 4x4! it just looks so much better to me.
There is such a nose dive on the front of the 2wd. And when I'm pulling a backhoe through a field I sure wish I had 4wd.
I didn't want to lose the MPG is whatit boiled down to.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by new2ctd
I have 4x2's. No complaints at all. When I tow heavy I do not have any sag whatsoever. I get very acceptable mileage for the speeds I drive too.

But I'll tell you what, my 4x2 and a 4x4 coming at you on the road and you look, you won't take your eyes off the 4x4! it just looks so much better to me.
There is such a nose dive on the front of the 2wd. And when I'm pulling a backhoe through a field I sure wish I had 4wd.
I didn't want to lose the MPG is whatit boiled down to.

What you just said is where im at..... I would like to have it but I 'think' I would rather have the MPG... Thanks for the post!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 PM

If you consider the higher resale value (check NADA, KBB etc) I think you will find that the 4x4 option will more than pay for itself down the road, even with the slight MPG offset.

I bought 4WD on my last two trucks and while I didn't use it often, I sure was glad to have it the few times I needed it. These trucks are real nose heavy/tail light and the traction sux on wet grass, soft sand etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As above the 4x4 has saved my cookies a few times while working construction sites in the mud 2x4 wouldn't even move. Also I have read reports that the 4x4 is less than a 1 mpg penalty as far as millage goes. You do have another differential to change and maintain but I know that the resale on the 4x4 will help pay the difference in a short time.

Good luck on your decision.....

PS. My 07 is a 5.9 auto 3.73 axles and millage is at 16-17 mixed driving at 2900 miles and it is a 4x4 short box single axle. Just got 11+ towing my 12000# fiver this past weekend and still a long way from broken in if anything like my 04.5 was.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go 4x4, even if you don't think your goingto use it much. I mean, you're buying the biggest, fanciest truck available, AND have it long bedded, why not have 4x4 as well.
Not that you can't get around fine in a 2wd, but if you're going all out, go all out!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:20 PM

If its gonna be a OTR truck the 4x4 will not really do you any good for resale. After all its most likely gonna have 3-500,000 miles when you sell it?? Also the front end maintnance will be lower.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really can't find the one you want in 2WD consider getting the 4WD and installing the Dynatrac kit with lockout hubs. Then put on high profile road tires and your mileage will be about the same as a 2WD. If you find yourself stuck sometime you'll have 4WD.

I really like 4WD and there was never any question about getting it, but I find myself using it when I didn't expect to. Like backing up in dirt on an uneven surface, or driving down into a camping spot with the trailer or in the mountains with an unexpected snowy area, etc. It is nice to have. In the winter it makes a huge difference on a slippery highway and no need to put on chains.

Wetspirit