3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How hot are ya'lls regens?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hot are ya'lls regens?

I've been reading on the ferd site that the tailpipe is getting up to 450 degrees and it even makes the bed of the truck hot. Are ya'll experiencing the same thing?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 PM

I haven't had a regen yet, but I only have about 2000 miles on it.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 PM

from what i read and heard it sounds like dodge/cummins put alot more thought into the regen process than furd did.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 PM

I've got nearly 2,500 miles, and have not experienced it yet.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 AM

17k on the clock and NO regen as yet. However, speaking of how hot, had a boost leak develop and had to take to Dodge. They put the rubber exhaust hose on the pipe and torqued up the 6.7l a bit to hear where the boost was leaking and I thought the hose caught on fire!! Man what a stink, it was really burning!!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM

Hot enough to burn the hair off you hand if its 10-14 inches away
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Great. I can see it now. I'm at the beach enjoying the scenery, sitting in the usual gridlock, and someone walking between cars gets his leg burned and sues me.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by C&C Milo
Great. I can see it now. I'm at the beach enjoying the scenery, sitting in the usual gridlock, and someone walking between cars gets his leg burned and sues me.
It has not been that long sence I have been in SLO but I dident remember any traffic. I wish that I could move back there, I think that it is one of the best areas of the contry. I had the joy of seeing the ford in regen/flame through mode today. I work next to a ford dealer, and my heat gun would not read and it goes to 1200*.

Another thought, doesnt regen only happen on the freeway?
Jeff
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM

I gaurantee that if you truck has more than 500 miles on it (prolly even 300) it has regenerated the dpf. The fact that you can't tell you're doing a regen is a testament to the effort put into this new engine

You should not have the heat problems of the furd cause the vehicle will not regen in park (or at idle for more than a minute). If you were in a regen and went to idle, it will attempt to "maintain" some heat so that when you do drive away again it will be able to start the regen quickly.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Doesn't the overhead indicate when you are in Regen mode?? So far no indications @ 17k miles.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Yes the overhead tells when the DPF is being regenerated. The exhuast is hot enough on mine that it could burn your leg if you held it there long enough - about 30 seconds would do it. I did it once not realizing how hot it was - levi's got really toasty! I know that it is not hot enough to change the tailpipe colors.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
Yes the overhead tells when the DPF is being regenerated.
Actually I think it only tells you when the DPF is 80% or more full. The manual says if this happens you need to take it out for 45 minutes of 'highway driving' to get enough heat to clear the DPF.

So I'm pretty sure that the DPF regen is not noticeable on the overhead unless you do a lot of city driving and it gets up to 80% full. Today I noticed my truck was a little sluggish accelerating from a stop. After 30 minutes of highway driving it is back to normal. I'm thinking it did it's regen thing today and you can only feel it at really slow speeds. Once it gets going on the highway I noticed nothing different and it seems to have cleared up the DPF. No smoke or flames and the acceleration is back to normal.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by SteveKrasnow
Actually I think it only tells you when the DPF is 80% or more full. The manual says if this happens you need to take it out for 45 minutes of 'highway driving' to get enough heat to clear the DPF.

So I'm pretty sure that the DPF regen is not noticeable on the overhead unless you do a lot of city driving and it gets up to 80% full. Today I noticed my truck was a little sluggish accelerating from a stop. After 30 minutes of highway driving it is back to normal. I'm thinking it did it's regen thing today and you can only feel it at really slow speeds. Once it gets going on the highway I noticed nothing different and it seems to have cleared up the DPF. No smoke or flames and the acceleration is back to normal.
Correct. if the EVIC is giving you messages about the catalyst, you better start driving it harder. If it reaches 100% full, the check engine light will come on. If you truly do plug the filter, it can be so restrictive that it will affect performance.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 AM

Actually - it will not regen without being at least 80% full - therefore the overhead tells you when it reaches that point.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:48 AM

There is an excellent discussion of this topic at:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-...aning-dpf.html

Also see the link to the technical article on regen. This should put to rest all the speculation:

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/fil...t_training.pdf

Quick Reply: How hot are ya'lls regens?