Help with South Bend SDD3250-GK - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help with South Bend SDD3250-GK

Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #1  

Help with South Bend SDD3250-GK

Just got this installed, not even 100 miles on it.

I don't use 1st gear as it's really low unless I'm hauling, so I use second through sixth like a 5 speed for normal driving and I have a few questions ....

It's grabby once everything is up to normal operating temps. As I let out the clutch, I can feel it slip-grab-slip-grab repeatedly until the clutch is completely let out. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

What's the best way to break it in?

Shifting seems to be more difficult. I'm not trying to speed shift (I don't race it) but now its a bit more difficult to get it into second, third, and fifth. Again, is this normal?

Anything I should expect now that the lousy dual mass flywheel is gone?

Yes it's noisy and I expected that. Will it quiet down once it's broke in?

Thanks!

-Kris
HMX-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #2  

The one I drove had good manners. Slower shifting for sure but not bad.
Smooth engagement,and noisy with the peddle in.
You should get in touch with SBC.
be sure and register the product for warranty.
I miss that quiet stock dmf clutch. I just wish a stronger dmf had been spec'd.
Danderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #3  

If I remember right the Southbend 3250 double disc clutch uses ceramic lining on the inner disc surfaces and standard material on the outer surfaces perhaps one is mixed up. I remember the one on my sons 2011 G56 truck he installed it when they first introduced the different lining of the inner disc, he said it was harder to back up a trailer with but nothing about slipping while engaging going forward. Like Danderson said contact Southbend. It could also be the ceramic needs time to bed in.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote