3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DTR search engine inop... fuel filter change?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTR search engine inop... fuel filter change?

Greetings,

I'm working on my Dad's 2007.5 6.7L that we just purchased. Seems to be a geat truck so far, but the previous owner said that it has never had the fuel filter changed (54,500mi) and we need to get it done. Has anyone made up a good 'how-to' with pictures yet? I have read some posts about purchasing the geno's garage canister and filter, but don't know how to change it.

Should I remove the fender well or can I get to it from underneath?

Anything else I should consider since it's new to us? (It's had a new turbo already at 45k)

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks,

McGyver
Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed my inner fender to get at mine. Not hard, but a little time consuming.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM

I've done mine a few times. Instead of taking out fender liner I do mine from top and bottom. Heres my method:

Start underneath,
1. unplug water in fuel sensor wires
2. open drain a few turns to drain fuel. Hint a large funnel with hose into catch container helps keep things clean

Go up top ( this is tricky, you have to find a place where your arms can go through to get to filter. This normally causes scratches to arms)

3. Using a strap wrench I loosen filter housing, then remove by hand. (you have to go back underneath to get housing out from engine compartment.
4. Replace filter cartridge or both if you havnt done yet.
5. Replace o-ring and oil with clean motor oil.
6. Back underneath to put canister back up into engine compartment.
7. Back up top to put canister into place and tighten up
8. Back underneath to close drain and replace water in fuel sensor wires.
9. Turn engine over for 1-2 seconds, then stop but leave ignition on to prime filter.
10. Wait 30 seconds
11. Start

Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you get the new style filter (with the 1/2" square hole at the bottom) you should be able to feed it through the wheel well without having to remove the liner. After installing it hand tight it's fairly easy to use a socket wrench with a long 1/2" extension to reach the square hole in the filter from the bottom of the truck to give it the final tightening. With the new style filter there shouldn't be any need to do anything from the top of the truck. It's all done through the wheel well and from the bottom. I just did mine and it was pretty easy.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mr. ed
If you get the new style filter (with the 1/2" square hole at the bottom) you should be able to feed it through the wheel well without having to remove the liner. After installing it hand tight it's fairly easy to use a socket wrench with a long 1/2" extension to reach the square hole in the filter from the bottom of the truck to give it the final tightening. With the new style filter there shouldn't be any need to do anything from the top of the truck. It's all done through the wheel well and from the bottom. I just did mine and it was pretty easy.
I have the new style and was still unable to get to it from the wheel well, unless I removed the liner. Not sure why??
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the information... It's got the factory canister on it. Should I do the upgrade from Geno's with the 5m filter? Will the ******* make me buy a new canister if I Just have the filter changed down there? (if that's the case, I may just do the canister myself!)

Again, thanks...
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver
Thanks for the information... It's got the factory canister on it. Should I do the upgrade from Geno's with the 5m filter? Will the ******* make me buy a new canister if I Just have the filter changed down there? (if that's the case, I may just do the canister myself!)

Again, thanks...
You need the new canister and filter. After that you can replace just the filter.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM

I have yet to get the new fuel filter system installed on my truck. Do we have to pay out of our pocket to have it installed or is the cost of the new unit and the initial installation being covered by Dodge? Just wondering....
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Im pretty certain this is an out of pocket expense. It was for me and Im still under warranty.