3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer idiocy or manufacture direction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer idiocy or manufacture direction?

I bought wheel liners for the 08 since they don't put them on anymore.
The dealer had them in stock and they were cleaning up the truck for me since I had just bought it so I said "How much to install them" and the counter guy said "sure it will take a couple hours we have to take the wheels off"...so I was like "no thanks I'll do it myself".

What a crock...15 minutes tops to install no wheel removal needed...I'm wondering if its the dealer trying to make an extra buck on labor or if the manu says to install you have to take the wheels off.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Dodgestang,
You know how cheap I am? I took mine off when they were taking off my sidesteps and brushguard on my trade. Put them in the back in the back of my new truck and had them on in ten when i got home (no air wrench)
I went back today for my tow mirror (had to slip the guy a $100); almost $300on ebay,
I ****** myself off when forgot about them on the deal, could of had them for free. I keep making the same mistakes....never buy anything on the spur.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dodgestang
What a crock...15 minutes tops to install no wheel removal needed...I'm wondering if its the dealer trying to make an extra buck on labor or if the manu says to install you have to take the wheels off.
Hey Nick, good to see you over here (normally find you on the Vintage Mustang site).

I put those liners in myself too, but it took me slightly longer cause I'm slow. But I didn't have to remove the tire either. Yeah, the dealers think us dimwitted truck owners have bottomless wallets; little do they know. I've installed everything except for the window tint and sprayed in bedliner.

Almost cut my leg off (including ambulance ride to emergency) putting in a new Class V hitch, but I'm saving that story for the major doofus award.

Hope you're lovin your '08!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flattman
Almost cut my leg off (including ambulance ride to emergency) putting in a new Class V hitch, but I'm saving that story for the major doofus award.
how'd you manage that?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Hey Nick, good to see you over here (normally find you on the Vintage Mustang site).
I get around

I also bought in installed one of the tail gate spoilers (not the big honking wing the little black cap that is about 4 inches wide that helps get rid of the drag at the back of the truck...at least that's the theory...but regardless it looks nice and will protect the paint on the tailgate as well). Nothing like drilling 4 new holes in the tailgate of your 6 day old truck....good thing I have a steady hand

I also got a chance to see how well the 'oversized' torpedo I bought works...it took the barn from 39 to 54 degrees in just under an hour which seem pretty darn impressive to me. Now I know I can fire it up and come back in an hour and have a shop warm enough to work all day in without getting really cold!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by hovisimo
how'd you manage that?
Using a 7" angle grinder to cut the receiver part of the factory hitch off. I was cutting with the rotation of the grinder when it grabbed and kicked down into my leg. Friggin' blood everywhere and a gash that required 30 stitches.

But i'm very lucky; an inch and a half up and it have cut my knee cap and an inch and a half down it would have cut through my calf muscle.

I'm still waiting for the hospital and ambulance bills. Probably get them Christmas Eve.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Using a 7" angle grinder to cut the receiver part of the factory hitch off. I was cutting with the rotation of the grinder when it grabbed and kicked down into my leg. Friggin' blood everywhere and a gash that required 30 stitches.

But i'm very lucky; an inch and a half up and it have cut my knee cap and an inch and a half down it would have cut through my calf muscle.

I'm still waiting for the hospital and ambulance bills. Probably get them Christmas Eve.
kinda makes the 12 stiches I got from a razor knife trying to strip electrical wire seem insignifcant

I used to have an old Makita 7" grinder at work, weighed about 10lbs, put a wire brush through my jeans, can't imagine a cutoff wheel. Our shop foreman knew a guy that was killed like that, wheel went through an artery in his leg. glad you're OK, get well soon.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM

Sounds like you asked the parts counter man and he didn't have a clue.