3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Both 08 6.7's DOA

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaCabinPA
those are the exact same symptoms the quad cab experienced
when pushing the engine it would buck like a bronco. i hope you are
not next in line

OHHHHHH, I may know what your problem is...... have the dealer check or change the EGR valve to make sure it's not stuck....should have thought about that when you said they wouldn't start and now that you say it would buck around it's a big possibility that that is your problem.... I have seen this twice now and it fixed it so maybe.....

One other thing that would really top it off, have you ever used any additives?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge man
OHHHHHH, I may know what your problem is...... have the dealer check or change the EGR valve to make sure it's not stuck....should have thought about that when you said they wouldn't start and now that you say it would buck around it's a big possibility that that is your problem.... I have seen this twice now and it fixed it so maybe.....

One other thing that would really top it off, have you ever used any additives?

thanks for advice. i will call my dealer and share it.
as for additives....only for a bout 1 month in the winter.
i'm not sure about the quad cab.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 AM

thanks for advice. i will call my dealer and share it.
as for additives....only for a bout 1 month in the winter.
i'm not sure about the quad cab.

I don't know how long or much it takes but additives are what caused the problem in the few I know of. These new trucks hate additives. Hope this may fix your trucks.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM

I love my 2007, but in 3,300 miles, I've had two CELs. First time was for bad O2 sensor. This Friday it was for a bad turbo, but it was a stored code. Dealer said to let them know if it came back on again, and they'd order the replacement parts.

I bought this truck with hopes of keeping it for 10 or more years. I can't imagine what it will be like if I have to do constant repairs when I'm flipping the bill. And with fuel prices the way they are, I'll probably never be able to sell it for a good price down the road.

I sure hope things get better soon, for everyone.

ben
Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM

MegaCabinPA, did you get your trucks fixed or was that not the problem either?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM

both of our trucks are still dead.

the dealership has ordered 6 new fuel injectors for the quad cab.
only problem is there are not any fuel injectors in Dodges parts
system to be had. this leads me to believe that there are more
problematic trucks out there.

they just started working on my mega cab. they believe it is
having the same issues as the quad cab. come this Monday i
will have been without my truck for 12 days. I've never
experienced anything like this before.

the Chrysler rep will be at the dealership on Monday. I'm hoping
that something good comes out of this meeting. in the end i just
want to get out of these trucks and move to another brand. my
dealer hasn't even offered us loaners.

on Tuesday i will have a full analysis of our fuel in hand. with all
of the vehicles we have using this tank i doubt very highly this
will be the problem.

when i hear anything more i will pass it on.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are they going to test the fuel thats in the truck from the time of the problem and your storage tank or just your storage tank? Even though you say all of your trucks use the same fuel tank its still possible to have bad fuel in 2 of your trucks tanks like algae, dirt or sludge.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 PM

both of our trucks are still dead.

the dealership has ordered 6 new fuel injectors for the quad cab.
only problem is there are not any fuel injectors in Dodges parts
system to be had. this leads me to believe that there are more
problematic trucks out there.

they just started working on my mega cab. they believe it is
having the same issues as the quad cab. come this Monday i
will have been without my truck for 12 days. I've never
experienced anything like this before.

the Chrysler rep will be at the dealership on Monday. I'm hoping
that something good comes out of this meeting. in the end i just
want to get out of these trucks and move to another brand. my
dealer hasn't even offered us loaners.

on Tuesday i will have a full analysis of our fuel in hand. with all
of the vehicles we have using this tank i doubt very highly this
will be the problem.

when i hear anything more i will pass it on.

I don't blame you for wanting to switch to another brand. At the very least, you should have been offered a loaner. Geez.

I'd vote for a Duramax. I just drove my buddy's new '08 D-max last weekend for a while, and it's a really nice truck. Quick, too. Much more so than the Ford, and it gets far better fuel economy than the Ford.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 AM

well another update in my saga.

i went down to the dealership today to talk face to face with the Dodge rep. i waited an hour but he never made it to the dealership. caught on the interstate in bad traffic. with such dedication i decided it was time i went out and picked up a rental.

went back to the office and called Chrysler. they got on the phone with the dealer and put me on hold. gave me a reference number and asked me to try the trucks after they were repaired. if they were not repaired properly the adviser promised to push the claim to the next level. I'm not exactly sure what that level is but it seemed that it would be working out some kind of deal to dump the trucks.

during the phone call i was made aware that 6 fuel injectors surprisingly were delivered to my dealer. i don't understand how there are supposedly zero available in the system and then 6 show up? regardless they put the injectors into the quad cab and said it is ready to be picked up in the morning. the service rep asked if i would mind if he took the truck home overnight to make sure the truck ran properly but i said no. i didn't want any increased liability with a company vehicle. hopefully the truck is repaired properly and if not i hope it at least dies somewhere convenient.

as for my mega cab it is still on the lift. they are still running tests on it but they are leaning toward replacing the injectors as well. it will be out of service a full 2 weeks.

if and when my truck is running properly and the quad cab is running properly i am going to get some trade in numbers from GMC and Toyota. i have been reading up on the GMC diesels. they seem to be running better than the Dodges in regards to emissions. I'm very familiar with the gasoline engines and might go that route. as for the Toyota they are the only other manufacturer that has a very large cab available. i feel some low trade in numbers are in my future

a side note. the service adviser has been nice. he's aware of what a disaster the situation has been. he said he would talk to the Chrysler rep
about reimbursing me for my costs on the rental.

tomorrow i should have the fuel analysis from our fuel tank available. it is taking a little longer than expected because we wanted to have the sulfur count included.

to close out my update i am just hoping that when both trucks are repaired that they run well enough to make it to another dealer to trade.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM

If I didnt grab a 5.9, I would have went w/ a Dmax (GMC not the ugly chevy), also reading on some forums (2nd hand info) Id wait on the toyota I here theyre still working the bugs out and not little ones (like camshafts breaking)
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have one stupid dealer who after buying 2 new trucks does not give you a loner car to drive. But then I've also seen Ford and Chevy dealers do the same thing to people and not give out loaner cars as it saves them $$$$.

I've been told the reason that GMC has not had as many problems is that their diesel engine is not yet 2010 smog complainant like the Cummins engine. If thats true then once they have to meet the 2010 requirements they to will have some of the same problems.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
You must have one stupid dealer who after buying 2 new trucks does not give you a loner car to drive. But then I've also seen Ford and Chevy dealers do the same thing to people and not give out loaner cars as it saves them $$$$.

I've been told the reason that GMC has not had as many problems is that their diesel engine is not yet 2010 smog complainant like the Cummins engine. If thats true then once they have to meet the 2010 requirements they to will have some of the same problems.

Not only that but if you look at the GM forums they are having the same problems if they leave the emissions stuff on just like some of us (the ones that aren't having the problems are the ones with all the stuff off).

I can hardly believe that all 6 injectors are bad on both trucks?! it would be a first and actually this would be the first I have heard of bad injectors on the 6.7L.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 PM

well the quad cab kind of made it through the day. it started leaking fuel and had to be taken back to the dealer. plus they left a socket extension under the hood cowl. they fixed it and got it back on the road. it was actually strange seeing it pull into the office today under its own power.

as for all of the injectors being bad i can't say. I'm not sure if they are just throwing new parts at the truck to get them running or they only put in one new injector and said they put in 6. who knows at this point! this whole process has been exasperating. i know my ordeal is not the norm but, i can honestly say i will never and, i mean never purchase another Chrysler product. hopefully the days of CEL lights and regens will soon be behind me.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well the quad cab kind of made it through the day. it started leaking fuel and had to be taken back to the dealer. plus they left a socket extension under the hood cowl. they fixed it and got it back on the road. it was actually strange seeing it pull into the office today under its own power.

as for all of the injectors being bad i can't say. I'm not sure if they are just throwing new parts at the truck to get them running or they only put in one new injector and said they put in 6. who knows at this point! this whole process has been exasperating. i know my ordeal is not the norm but, i can honestly say i will never and, i mean never purchase another Chrysler product. hopefully the days of CEL lights and regens will soon be behind me.

Noop, CEL lights and regens are what we get with diesels now. I know it's hard but do your best to deal with it. Make them get to the bottom of it even after the truck is repaired. Being as you had to go back for a fuel leak I believe it isn't Dodge that has the issue. It's basically the fact the dealers don't want to pay to have qualified personal in there employment. It dosen't matter if it is Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, etc. So, what I am saying is take a deap breath or twelve and see what happens after a month. This is the first trucks ever heard of with a 6.7 that is having this issue. May I ask what Micron of fuel filter is on your bulk tank?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Man...I knew there was a good reason I bought one of the last 5.9's....

Quick Reply: Both 08 6.7's DOA