3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DBLR raises a point I have heard before. And it is a point worth considering, as these trucks thrive on work. Now, making a general statement based on a single, particular experience is risky, but I'll make it anyway.

I have a '04.5 High Output 1 ton Laramie, auto, 5.9, bone stock. I bought it because I thought we would enjoy 5th wheeling. We bought a 5th wheel as well. I pulled the 5er less than 3000 miles before I decided I would never be an avid trailer puller. Prefer to pull my boat (2500 lbs) and spend time renting cabins in Montana, Idaho, BC, etc.

As a consequence, I have a 5 model year old truck with less than 50K very lightly used miles on it. I drive it in our small town and on trips. Pulling a 2500 boat is pretty much the same as running empty for these trucks

The only time it has ever been in the shop has been for oil and lube and other routine maintenance. I still have the original tires on it. It's been a great truck - on the hwy running empty with 4.10 gears it routinely gets 20 -21 mpg at a steady 70 mph - hand calculated.

So, thus far the smog equipment has not jumped up to bite me and at this point I don't expect trouble. I do recommend anyone buying these trucks without the intent to work it should get it out on the highway at least once/week and work it out - power it up.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mdbrown
DBLR raises a point I have heard before. And it is a point worth considering, as these trucks thrive on work. Now, making a general statement based on a single, particular experience is risky, but I'll make it anyway.

I have a '04.5 High Output 1 ton Laramie, auto, 5.9, bone stock. I bought it because I thought we would enjoy 5th wheeling. We bought a 5th wheel as well. I pulled the 5er less than 3000 miles before I decided I would never be an avid trailer puller. Prefer to pull my boat (2500 lbs) and spend time renting cabins in Montana, Idaho, BC, etc.

As a consequence, I have a 5 model year old truck with less than 50K very lightly used miles on it. I drive it in our small town and on trips. Pulling a 2500 boat is pretty much the same as running empty for these trucks

The only time it has ever been in the shop has been for oil and lube and other routine maintenance. I still have the original tires on it. It's been a great truck - on the hwy running empty with 4.10 gears it routinely gets 20 -21 mpg at a steady 70 mph - hand calculated.

So, thus far the smog equipment has not jumped up to bite me and at this point I don't expect trouble. I do recommend anyone buying these trucks without the intent to work it should get it out on the highway at least once/week and work it out - power it up.
The only emissions equipment you have is a catalytic converter, hardly anything worth worrying about working out.

Shawn
Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 AM

20/21 mpg at what I speeds? I'm 5 miles to the gallon under that at 70mph and 3 mpg under that at 60 mph.Plus that driving it like its got a flat tire.LOL
Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 AM

Buddy of mine had the Toyota for 1 year after having had many GM trucks.
BAAAAAAD mileage and he also seemed to have a bit of an issue with getting the gas cap door to close. Apparently when you put any kind of load in the box it would twist the frame so bad the door would hang open. NICE!
Traded it and has a new GMC
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
20/21 mpg at what I speeds? I'm 5 miles to the gallon under that at 70mph and 3 mpg under that at 60 mph.Plus that driving it like its got a flat tire.LOL
Seriously, don't think I've seen over 16-17mpg in ANY condition. Hoping a smarty to replace my Edge makes my mileage a little better, but not holding my breath.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the GM Duramax/Allison option. I don't think anyone saw that his sig mentioned a B&W GN hitch.

It's going to pull like his current truck, ride like a tundra and get similar MPG as the Tundra. I was in the exact same shoes as him 2 years ago(Tundra vs 2500 Ram) and never looked at the new LMM Duramax because I was scared of the emissions stuff. Until 2010 that will be the diesel to buy IMO and the ride and refinement is better than the dodge IMO. I think I was worried for no reason and possibly missed buying a great truck.... Although I do love my 5.9 Cummins and never plan to sell it unless i need a DRW.

I will say though that 9 grand off on a Tundra is a good deal, they wouldn't deal with me a couple years ago and I ended up with my current truck for the same price as a comparable optioned (ext cab 4x4 leather trd) Tundra. It was a no brainer to get my Diesel and just hang onto it, although now I wish I had bought a Mega Dually.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the GM Duramax/Allison option. I don't think anyone saw that his sig mentioned a B&W GN hitch.

It's going to pull like his current truck, ride like a tundra and get similar MPG as the Tundra. I was in the exact same shoes as him 2 years ago(Tundra vs 2500 Ram) and never looked at the new LMM Duramax because I was scared of the emissions stuff. Until 2010 that will be the diesel to buy IMO and the ride and refinement is better than the dodge IMO. I think I was worried for no reason and possibly missed buying a great truck.... Although I do love my 5.9 Cummins and never plan to sell it unless i need a DRW.

I will say though that 9 grand off on a Tundra is a good deal, they wouldn't deal with me a couple years ago and I ended up with my current truck for the same price as a comparable optioned (ext cab 4x4 leather trd) Tundra. It was a no brainer to get my Diesel and just hang onto it, although now I wish I had bought a Mega Dually.
Ride refinement? I really don't think they ride THAT much better. My old boss had an 08 GMC with an Allison/Duramax. Don't know what trans model, or engine model it was but I wasn't that impressed. It drove pretty well, but I don't think it was any better than my current 06. I can't totally comment on the ride because I was hauling a pretty heavy trailer at the time and only drove it unloaded for a few miles.

On a side note, my 06 drives A LOT better than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting much improvement from my 99 and it's a night and day difference.

Shawn
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Well I'll just say he should test drive one. IMO they ride better and have a more refined interior (it is a newer style truck).
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM

Also, no one suggested wait for a year or so and look at the 2010. I really think that will be worth the wait.

I don't see why he'd want to trade in a 3 year old truck for the same thing.... That's probably why I'm biased because I own one and I only like to own something once, no reason to pay a premium on the same thing just because it has that new car smell.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Houndog - At what speeds? Steady 70 mph. Your driving a different variation of the 5.9 than I am. Also, your 4X4 catches considerably more air than my lower to the ground 3500. Your 4X4 truck weighs more than mine does. Do you have taller/wider tires than stock? If so, that usually serves to cut down your mileage. And one's driving style can certainly effect mileage.

XtoyZ17 - I guess I'm from the old school. I've always felt a good power run out on the interstate helped blow out some of the carbon build-up our trucks are noted for. But, I could be wrong. As for my referrence to "smog equipment" - that was a response to the suggestion by DBLR that these truck's smog equipment could cause problems down the road unless the trucks are worked. You are quite right in your observation these trucks have only the cat.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM

I also agree that DBLR has a valid point; avoid the new Cummins if it is just going to be a highway cruiser. It is my belief that Cummins & Dodge engineered the engine and exhaust treatment to a degree that caters to heavy duty use. Essentially "over building" it, however it seems if you don't work the truck you get all the CEL's and gremlins.

I wish I could afford it right now, because for me I think it'd be a no-brainer to take the 09 Dodge. I haven't ridden in one yet, but the lifetime powertrain warranty is very convincing.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM

take the epa crap OFF the dodge
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 PM

I drove both again today. The Dodge salesman told me that the '09 2500s "get 31 miles per gallon" while I'm test driving it. I laughed at him. I then spoke to the fleet guy at the same dealership, and he promptly told me that "Ford owns Cummins". I am not making this stuff up. I said "Are you serious?", and he gives me that dumb look. I told him Ford has never owned Cummins. The salesman didn't know what half the buttons were for the GPS/audio systems. Then the fleet guy quotes me a price that is exactly $8 lower than the price they have advertised on the paper hanging on the rear view mirror. MSRP is $50,000+ and they're quoting $39,000 + tax and license. Not impressive. I love the trucks though.

I'm leaning towards the Tundra. It's an '08 TRD CrewMax and it's still sitting on the lot. I'm meeting the fleet guy tomorrow to see what kind of deal he'll work.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 AM

I have stock size tires. I can drive it at 40 to 55 mph like its sick and hurt and maybe just maybe can hit 18 mpg or so.I mean really trying for every ounce of mpg.Usually it in the 16 mpg range and that still under 70.At 70 and staeady it will level off to around 15.9 or so.My overhead on the times I've checked it is withen .3 of hand.My 03 3500 and my 1998 1500 get about the same mpg only the 1998 is much more fun and easy to drive.Hey the FORD saleeman also told me FORD owns Cummins when I was looking.I told him I'd bet him the PRICE OF THE NEW TRUCK that he was WRONG! He said well they use a Cummin in the BIG Fords yadda yada.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 AM

Don't care how stupid the sales guys are.I'm not buying a Tundra or any other import vehicle in this economy.I worked for Nissan 15 years and wouldn't spend a nickel with them now.Of the UAW is not on my good side eaither.But the lesser of the two in my book.

Quick Reply: '09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?