3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do know there is not a inexpensive truck on the market.The dollar doesn't go far.Shop wisely.If Chrysler is still around in another month if that long they''ll make it for a long time.One thing about Ford that I don't like is their warranty.Its the poorest of the big three.Also I read a few write up's on the Ford and all said the 5.4 was lack luster performance wise.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM

I had a 04 chevy 4x4 1500 super cab, that I replaced with a 05 F150 4x4 super cab. I hated the ford after 12,000 miles, and took a beating getting out of it. Really bad MPG, power sucked, ac would barely cool enough, truck was a rattle trap, bed sides were way too tall to work out of, truck sat tall but it would drag it's belly everywhere....... But what really got me was the computer programming, truck was always trying to learn my driving habits. I don't drive the same way all the time, so truck was always confused. It was a really good looking truck, all black FX4.

Chevy felt very light duty. It would creak and groan going through ditches, but it was rattle free. Motor needed to rev to make power, but it had power. After 30,000 miles of farm use, the rear axle had lots of slack in it, think the locker was fixing to go out. It would overheat idling in hot temps, and the ac wouldn't cool sitting idling, but it would freeze you out on the highway. MPG was ok. Chevy sat lower, but had a lot more ground clearance than the FX4. Chevy was much smoother riding, and handled much better than the ford.

Guess I really don't like half ton trucks, or gassers. Go drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and see what you think, wife loves hers.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
tcr

The new Ford F150s IMO are riding on their reputation and previous sales; they are a joke and are extremely ugly. As everyone else has stated; they have no power and did I say how UGLY I think they are! Now, an 08 F150 I really like, but still no power compared to the others and the warranty sux.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM

That motor/trans combo is the power for the Escalade from 07 on. Go drive one of them, I do all day long and can't wait till 5 when I get to drive my dodge home.

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I haven't driven one but the 6.2 GM motor is advertised to have more hp and torque then the 5.7 Hemi. I did drive a 1500 Dodge.Wow on the power and the ride was nice.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM

Been in two GM dealers.None had a 6.2 powered truck and neither/none of the salesman had a clue to a 6.2 powered truck with a GM built 6 speed auto.(its a Allison)Its in the 09 brochures.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM

I made a remark on this thread yesterday regarding possible solvency issues with Dodge.

I doubt Dodge will simply declare it can't make it in the current market and disapear as a brand.

I think one of 2 things will happen. Either Dodge will weather the storm, be viable and keep it's brand, albeit with likely a bit different lineup of vehicles, or it will be purchased by Ford or Chev, with the brand "disolving".

It would be great if the 1st scenario played out. But that's far from a sure thing. However, if Dodge is bought out, by either Ford or Chev - each of those companies already has a successful line of pickups. I can't see either company gearing up and carrying a second line of trucks - not in an age where they are going to be forced to go lean just to weather the storm. It's the possibility of this second scenario that would make me a bit nervous about purchasing a Dodge at this time. If the Dodge 1500 is really what I wanted, I would wait several months, maybe a year, to see how the auto business shakes out.

Now, I have no inside information, but it's clear that in the car business "the times they are a changin'."
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I made a remark on this thread yesterday regarding possible solvency issues with Dodge.

I doubt Dodge will simply declare it can't make it in the current market and disapear as a brand.

I think one of 2 things will happen. Either Dodge will weather the storm, be viable and keep it's brand, albeit with likely a bit different lineup of vehicles, or it will be purchased by Ford or Chev, with the brand "disolving".

It would be great if the 1st scenario played out. But that's far from a sure thing. However, if Dodge is bought out, by either Ford or Chev - each of those companies already has a successful line of pickups. I can't see either company gearing up and carrying a second line of trucks - not in an age where they are going to be forced to go lean just to weather the storm. It's the possibility of this second scenario that would make me a bit nervous about purchasing a Dodge at this time. If the Dodge 1500 is really what I wanted, I would wait several months, maybe a year, to see how the auto business shakes out.

Now, I have no inside information, but it's clear that in the car business "the times they are a changin'."
I doubt the companies, Ford and Chevy have the financial ability to even consider buying Chrysler. I'm not worried at all, they will survive. I get so sick of hearing the sky is falling. No offense to you, just a generalization.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Believe me, the purchase price for Dodge wouldn't be much. The only vehicle line that would be worth anything is Jeep. Dodge out of business would no doubt raise Ford and GM boats through less competition. I'm not saying it's going to happen, only that the possibility exists. Another possibility is that Dodge declares bankruptcy under chapter 11. They would come out the other side very much downsized and the value of their models would fall.

But, who knows what IS going to happen - I happen to think Dodge is the most vulnerable of the Big 3 to a weak economy.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LeonT
Looking to buy another pickup for running around town and a few road trips. They're selling the '09 Dodge Cummins (3/4 short bed) with ridiculous discounts in Phoenix. I've seen them for $12,000 to $13,000 off.

They have a bunch of '08 Tundras here that they are discounting $9,000 to $10,000.

Either truck will work for me, but I'm really in a quandary about what to buy. My heart says to get the Dodge, but my son is a Toyota tech and he says the Tundras are good trucks.

Anybody care to chip in and help a middle-aged man with diminishing mental capacities make up his mind?
You are kind of comparing apples to oranges. I guess all I can say is what do you plan on doing with the truck? My Dad has a 08 Tundra Crewmax and I drive it the most. Its a very nice truck. Great power. Tows very well. But keep in mind it is a 1/2 ton unlike the dodge ram. So if you are just looking a truck to joy ride in then the Tundra is probably the way to go. But if you want to mod it up, throw stacks on it, and tow a big camper than by all means go with the ram diesel!

The tundra has to be significantly less $$ though...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM

As bad as I hate to admit it, the Toyota is a good truck. I am too old fashion and would never own one myself. I know that all vehicles have foreign parts and some are even assembled out of country, but for what its worth I would buy the one with the most USA roots possible.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Been in two GM dealers.None had a 6.2 powered truck and neither/none of the salesman had a clue to a 6.2 powered truck with a GM built 6 speed auto.(its a Allison)Its in the 09 brochures.
Our dealer has 2 of them.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I looked at the new Toyota pickups while I had my wife's car serviced last week, I could not believe anyone would willing pay over $38K for a 4x4, 4 door 1/2 ton pick up that can only tow 7500 lbs. I was also surprised to see the poor mpg listed on the window sticker.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
When I looked at the new Toyota pickups while I had my wife's car serviced last week, I could not believe anyone would willing pay over $38K for a 4x4, 4 door 1/2 ton pick up that can only tow 7500 lbs. I was also surprised to see the poor mpg listed on the window sticker.
You should go look at a loaded out Toyota suv, close to $70,000.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DieselBoy92
You are kind of comparing apples to oranges. I guess all I can say is what do you plan on doing with the truck? My Dad has a 08 Tundra Crewmax and I drive it the most. Its a very nice truck. Great power. Tows very well. But keep in mind it is a 1/2 ton unlike the dodge ram. So if you are just looking a truck to joy ride in then the Tundra is probably the way to go. But if you want to mod it up, throw stacks on it, and tow a big camper than by all means go with the ram diesel!

The tundra has to be significantly less $$ though...
I was looking for a 1/2 ton, and then I saw the '09 Dodge 2500s so cheap that it made me start thinking. I had an '08 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. I loved the truck, but hated the "check engine" lights. Talked to my service guy and he said there were less and less of the 6.7 Cummins powered trucks coming in for service and the kinks were getting worked out.

Can I get by with a 1/2 ton? Yes. But if I can get a 3/4 Cummins for a comparable price it becomes a very tough decision. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I can see with you getting a 2500 with a 6.7 and not a 1500 with a Hemi is the fact the 6.7 will not get worked much if any and that may cause problems with all of the smog junk they put on those engines that may cause you to be spending a lot of time in the shop.

Quick Reply: '09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?