3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota dealers are full of techs working also.I've looked some at all three 09s.Dodge,Ford,Gm.So far I like the Dodge the best.Ford is close but their warranty coverage is the worst.Gm was OK but butt ugly.The Ford salesman I delt with was very knowledgeable.Very.The Dodge was OK and the TWO different Gm dealers I stopped at the salesman had NO Clue.One said he had been selling Chevy's 3 years.I asked him HOW? I also asked him if in his spare work time is all he did was watch tv.All said take about 40% off MSRP.The Ford salesman told me to take 41% off.I might shop another Chevy store today or tomorrow.The TOYOTA prep/holding yard near me I was told had 3000 Tundras and Tacoma's sitting there.I passed it the other day and in one section I saw Toyota trucks as far as I could see.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Hate to say it, but if I were in your shoes, I would buy neither.

Go test drive a F150 and compare.
I did. It just confused me even more. Drove a 1500 Dodge too. Loved the way it drove, tons of power, but they are new and still scare me.

I'm keeping my big truck. This is mostly a runaround, people hauler, errand runner type of truck I'm looking for. May pull my 16' enclosed trailer with it (quads, Harleys, etc.)

I'm headed to the Dodge dealer again.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Here is my order: Dodge
Chevy
toyota
Ford

Plus I believe that Dodge still has the life-time power train warranty! How can you beat that. Support our American companies. I'm sure somebody will chime in and tell me all about where each vehicle is made.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 PM

im a tech at a toyota dealership and have drove the tundras lots of power seem to work good but hook on anyhting or load it down and say goodbye to fuel economy and they are not heavy enough set up but if your just going to drive around then it would be fine but if you want a work truck cummins all the way have two here at the farm and work awesome
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, I hate saying this, but my boss has an 08 Chevy 1/2 ton. Very comfortable to ride in and he's getting 18 mpg or so out of it, and he don't drive the speed limit... Might be worth lookin in to.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM

The Toyota Tundra is hard on gas we had one at work from a rental company it was rediculous on gas.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM

I've got almost 102k miles on my 2500HD Hemi powered Ram. It still burns it's usual .5 qt of oil during it's 5k mile OCI and still runs strong, quiet and smoke free. If the thing ever quits giving me top notch service, I'll be trading it for my 5th Cummins Ram. I like the Tundra as far as half ton Japanese trucks go but, I couldn't have asked for a better truck than my '05 Hemi powered Ram has been. I've been getting 14~ very light city where my Cummins Rams gave 18.5~. Hwy has been 17mpg at 70mph where the Cummins Rams gave 19mpg. Towing has been 8.5~ where the Cummins gave 10.5mpg. I don't know yet what the new 4.56 ratio will do to my mileage compared to the previous 3.73. So far it looks like it's up .5 in town and down .5 on the interstate according to the lie0meter. I seldom exceed 70mph (we need an old geezer smily). I'll do the math next fill-up. I think the Tundra has a 4.30 ratio doesn't it?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Baseball Song:

"DODGE! Dodge. Dodge. Dodge. DODGE! Dodge. Dodge. Dodge. DODGE! DA DA DA DAAAAA DA DOOOOOODGE!!!!!!!!! ....

They Look, Drive, and feel better.......Why not get the Dodge??? You know that is what you want...really!

I get 18.2 mpg on the highway and 14.7 average in the city with mine. Hauls the mail and pulls my 4500 pound boat and gear GREAT///////
Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't know how tall you are but I was checking out the Tundras at our International Car Show here in San Diego. A guy who was 5'10" could not see out of the windshield to see if it was a red light or not. I've read this in the mags. too. I'm 6'3" and it was hopeless. Toyota chopped the cab so severely and raked the windshield to such a degree without extending it rearward that it makes it hard to see upward and away. Quick truck for somebody who can fit in it.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm 6'2". I will have to check that.

So far I've have done test drives in the new Dodge 1500, a Chev 1500, the new Ford F-150, and the Toyota Tundra. Here's what I think:

The Dodge is the sweetest driving and sweetest sounding of the bunch, with the most power (at least it felt like it to me). Drives awesome and the crew cab has tons of room. It also has some nice nooks and crannies to put stuff in, including the little built in ice chests in the rear seat area. I don't like how the 4WD models look exactly like the 2WD models. Also, the 4WD tires are just road tires.

The Chev was OK, but smaller cab room, and not as much rear seat space. It felt cramped to me. Nothing to write home about IMO. I thought it was the ugliest of the bunch.

The Ford F-150 was the nicest looking of the bunch, although the Dodges always grow on me because I'm a non-conformist by nature. It drove very nice, was quiet, good interior room including the back seat, but not nearly as much power or quickness as the Dodge.

The Toyota was quiet and powerful. I didn't like how the gauges seem like they are about 3 miles away from you, and many of the indicator lights are almost impossible to find. The room in the Crew Max is AWESOME. I don't think it's the best looking truck in the world, but better looking than a Chevy. I am going to have to check that visibility deal. I didn't pay any attention. The one I'm looking at is a 4WD Crew Max SR5 TRD model. Stickers at about $38,000 and they're knocking at least $9,000 off.

I also think the Dodge has the best warranty, although I doubt it will last as long as a Toyota. Just being inside them all and driving them, I like the Dodge 1500 the best by far from the driver's seat. I had an '08 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins for 1 year before I sold it with 12K miles on it. I didn't like the constant "check engine" lights. I hear they are getting rid of the bugs in the '09s (according to the service guy at the dealership where they work on my 1 ton). After experiencing the roominess inside the new Dodge 1500 I am reconsidering the 2500. I hope to wrap this up by late next week. I have to make a few trips to the LA area this weekend and the early part of next week with my 1 ton, then I'm getting down to the final decision. Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Really it depends on what these trucks are equipped with.Ford has a 3 valve 5.4 with NEW 6 speed auto available.They also have 4.6 and 4 speed auto/5.4 2 valve 4 speed etc.The GM also has a available 6 speed auto and a new 6.2 litre that is advertised to be higher horse and torque then either Dodge or Ford.Then GM also has a array of 4 speed autos and other v8s.The 5.4 6 speed Ford and 6.2 6 speed GM are the MAX tow group 1500 trucks.It gets CONFUSING.AS I mentioned before the GM salesman I dealt with had NO CLUE to a 6 speed auto(not a Allison)and 6.2 GAS engine or even MAX TOW GROUP.That was TWO different GM stores I went to. I will say I thought the Dodge drove the best and felt it had more zip.It is rated to tow about 1000lbs LESS then the MAX tow Ford and Chevy.There was NO 6.2 6 speed auto GM to test drive! Only brochures.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 PM

I drove the 5.3 Chevy, the 5.7 Dodge, the 5.7 Toyota, and the 5.4 Ford.

Didn't hear about a 6.2 Chevy.

I'm leaning toward the Dodge 1500 if I can get past the fact that the 4WD has very little ground clearance and looks just like a 2WD. Like I said, from the driver's seat, it was the best of the bunch IMO.

I may get sick of looking at all these 1/2 tons and buy a 3/4 Dodge too.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM

Salesman's at a big FORD/DODGE dealer I stopped at liked the Dodge better then the Fords.That was like SEVERAL salesman not just one.Two TECHS liked the FORDS better but had NOT driven a new 5.4 3 valve 6 speed Ford or a 09 1500 just 08s.I want (I think) a 1500 I can pull a moderate size 5th wheel RV with.I also want real comfy when not pulling etc.That's why I'm looking at 1500/150s and not 2500s.Wanting to drive a 6.2 6 speed GM if a dealer EVER gets one or anyone in a GM dealer is even aware its a NEW model for them.I also do not want 4wd.2wd for me.Fords warranty is 6/60(I think) GM was 5/100 and Dodge was lifetime.Fords powertrain warranty dosen't float my boat at all.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Swayse
If you are keeping your 05, and this is gonna be a second run around truck and road trip truck, Toyota Tundra all the way. My Nephew and one of my buddies has one, really nice trucks for light duty.

And maybe we should support the guys who don't need bailout money. And when truck sales slowed down, they didn't lay off a bunch of people, they put them to work around San Antonio, gardening and stuff.

Aren't our trucks put together in Mexico? Or at least some of them. And our Cummins blocks are cast in China?
first its sad to see people here that say Chrysler (a.k.a Dodge) to go under just because they took bailout money. If Dumbler hadn't back in 1998-2007 taken Chryslers billions in cash they would have been fine.

Next the 2009 1500 Ram is made and put together in the US and the 2009 2500/3500 is assembled in Mexico, but 78% is US made parts. Cummins is all US made.

Oh and what a great idea to support an auto company (like toyota) that is foreign, they may hire people here but the money go's to that country. Not to mention toyota has tons of problems with the truck (if you can call it one) and it's over 2 years old!

To the OP, if its just a truck for light towing and running around the 2009 1500 Ram is best and there are some out there with a lot of miles already with no problems (I know of one that over 40,000 already).
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 AM

A buddy of mine just bought a Tundra 2 weeks ago and seems to be disappointed. He mostly complains about the gas mileage. The truck is only getting 14mpg mixed driving. He says the truck drives nice but the poor fuel economy is giving him buyers remorse.

I love the way the new dodge 1500 looks and all the upgrades that have been made. Gas mileage will probably be only slightly better than the Tundra but I think the Dodge package is better and has raised the bar. Will I buy one? Not until I see a diesel under the hood. Hopefully 2011 will be the year.

Quick Reply: '09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?