3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

White smoke, rough idle please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke, rough idle please help

My 06 5.9 is blowing white smoke and idleing rough. i had the reflash done and it seemed to fix the problem for a few hours but then started back up later that day. And as of right now it still starts up fine but will constantly blow a good amount of white smoke at idle even once it is warmed up and driven some (when the probem started about a week ago it would stop after it was warmed up but now it does it all the time). The amount of smoke varies depending on how long it idles for, it seems the longer the worse it gets and the more smoke the rougher it idles. if i idle it up to 1000rpms or more while stopped the smoke stops and it runs fine. also if it is rev'd up at idle to around 2800 or so it take a very long time to idle back down ( not sure if that is normal or not...take about 4-5 sec, doesnt seem right to me). Ive also checked the wire under the oil filter and it seem ok...i taped it up any ways but it didnt help. I also checked the oil to see if fuel was getting in it and it does seem a little on the high side (about a 1/4 in above full) i cant quite remember if i was like that after the oil was changed last or not. I did try dripping some of the oil on a paper towel and it seemed fine, didnt have a halo or anything around it like i was told would happen with fuel in oil. Suggestion please? thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Hey there, you have Textbook symptoms of an injector going out. Mine had similar symptoms but only puffed ONE little puff at start up and it was enough for them to hook it up and see. I had the #5 replaced for being out of spec. No problems since. You can always pull an oil sample and ck for fuel dilution. A dealer can do an easy ck to see if injectors are good. If your over 100,000 miles and out of warranty you can try adding an injector cleaner and working it HARD. Might clear it up... Hope that helps!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM

My suggestion is to take it to the dealer. It sounds like you have an injector stuck open. From what I have read here, this problem doesn't necessarily fill the crankcase with fuel. That comes more often from different injector problems like a cracked injector body. If the injector is stuck open then fuel is entering the cylinder under lower pressure and during the exhaust stroke causing your white smoke issue.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
My suggestion is to take it to the dealer. It sounds like you have an injector stuck open. From what I have read here, this problem doesn't necessarily fill the crankcase with fuel. That comes more often from different injector problems like a cracked injector body. If the injector is stuck open then fuel is entering the cylinder under lower pressure and during the exhaust stroke causing your white smoke issue.

Pretty much x2. Is it still under warranty? Sotck injectors?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM

I would guess a plugged injector. Run some injector cleaner thru it.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM

the delay to idle down is a good sign of bad inj. My beast was simmilar in problems and I had to do all six out of pocket!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 06 had similar problems it was the injectors
Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Thanks guys and its got 80k miles so injectors should be covered right? and they are stock injectors... i would really like to have them all replaced but we will see how that goes. If my predator programmer is put back to stock willl they know it has had one and give me trouble?, the only other thing its got is exhaust...What would be the best things to tell the dealership if they try to give me a hard time about replacing them? and are there any other electrical things that could cause this problem.. like map sensor, apps, fca, or the over flow valve in the cp3? ecu has already been reflashed. thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are covered they might find the predator if their are things that make them think the truck is bombed, most dealers will try to do as much as possible to get out of replacing them tho so, expect them to try the bad fuel card and anything else
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

I have ran a 1/4 take of Diesel Klean through my injectors so far and it does seems to be working ( Havent noticed much smoke if any) but knowing my luck as soon a i post this it will start doing it again. do you you guys think i should still pay the 100 bucks at dodge to have them check out the injectors, since the slow idle down problem still exists. and how bad do they have to be for them to replace? thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Dodge will replace only the ones that are bad, and injectors are a matched set so thats no good, but the way they do things. I think if you have 3 or more bad they replace all 6