3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What do you all think? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you all think? (Video)

Been noticing a lot lately (about the past month or so) that when I start the truck, it has been rolling blue smoke for a good 20-60 seconds or so and flat out idling like crap until it warms up (you can hear it running badly in the video). On top of that, I have started hearing a slight tick on the driver's side while I'm a little above idle (but can't hear it when I am speeding up and the RPMs are a bit higher).

I have checked the oil and all is well there...still normal level and no hints of diesel smell in it. I just changed the fuel filter about 3K ago, so that should be good. So what do you all think? Do I have an injector going out or what? Here's a little clip of what I'm seeing every morning and most of the time when the truck has sat a while and cooled off some. Once it's warm, it runs fine and still pulls fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qnirsWa2mM
Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM

It's either oil or fuel. Looks like bad valve seals on a gasser but if your not using any oil I think the only other thing could be a leaking injector. It's smoking way to much on start up. Think of it this way, it's now a good time to buy those injectors you've been thinking about.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Yup looks like mine did when I had bad injectors.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 PM

From what I've read blue smoke and rough idle is possible symptoms of a bad injector(s). My dad has an '06 Mega that has just started doing the same thing on a cold start.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Bad Injector

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
Been noticing a lot lately (about the past month or so) that when I start the truck, it has been rolling blue smoke for a good 20-60 seconds or so and flat out idling like crap until it warms up (you can hear it running badly in the video). On top of that, I have started hearing a slight tick on the driver's side while I'm a little above idle (but can't hear it when I am speeding up and the RPMs are a bit higher).

I have checked the oil and all is well there...still normal level and no hints of diesel smell in it. I just changed the fuel filter about 3K ago, so that should be good. So what do you all think? Do I have an injector going out or what? Here's a little clip of what I'm seeing every morning and most of the time when the truck has sat a while and cooled off some. Once it's warm, it runs fine and still pulls fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qnirsWa2mM
You have a leaking injector...Just went through the same thing with my 07 Mega 5.9 Have the dealer do an injector duty dycle test to determine which injector(s) may be leaking down.
Rob
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM

yup injector. ive got a 07 5.9 that the number 1 injector died on. Started the same and no diesel ever showed up in the oil
Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Yeah, you'd never believe that I just dropped the truck off at the dealer and told them flat out that the truck has to sit for an extended cooling period, such as 8-10 hours of sitting at work (it's not so bad then) but after sitting overnight, well, you all saw the video of the result of that...they let it sit for 3 hours and called me back and said "we can't see any blue smoke". Well, they aren't open tomorrow, so I told them that I'm not coming to pick up my truck until they actually SEE the problem, i.e. I will see them Monday. The truck is like clockwork, does it EVERY TIME I start it in the morning. I even offered to show them this video and they said "no we believe you, sir. we'll just see you monday"
Old 09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

I would show them anyways, that video speaks for itself.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ain't no diesel wiz, but when mine did that exact same thing when it was only a year old, I was told to run some injector cleaner through it. I did, and she's been fine since. I was told my 2 mile commute to work was (for lack of a better term) dirtying up the injectors. I ran double dose of Howe's Meaner Power Cleaner for a bit. I also now live 20 miles away from work.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Mine is doing the same exact thing, though not as long as yours does. Puffs a blue smoke cloud on start and then idles rough for about 5 - 10 seconds but it runs and drives like normal. I took it into the dealer last week and told them what it does and that I thought it was an injector leaking. They "said" they started it 3 mornings in a row and it did nothing, they couldn't find a problem. Well the first day that I started it, because the techie had started it behind the dealership and brought it out to me when I picked it up, was yesterday. It did it 6 times yesterday, either when it first started in the morning or after it had had about 2 hours or more to cool off. It defiantely did it this morning too, dumb morons. I plan to video tape it too, to prove to them what its doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they even checked it, though they had to start the truck atleast twice because they replaced the transmission range sensor too.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM

IMO, the dealer 'mechanics' just plug in the dianostic computer and go by what that tells them. If you would ask them a question, I'd lay odds that most of them wouldn't be able to tell you 'cuz there is no computer to tell them what to say. (for those mech. who do know, no offence intended) My wife's new car keeps tripping the check engine light, we took it in for the 3rd time yesterday, 'checked' it, brought it out, said it was running perfect on invoice, started it and the check light tripped. They u-turned back in and 'dianosed' brought back out. So far so good, but the mpg was down prior to yesterday, will be checking on mpg. I'm curious if they can over ride the eng.light. 'cuz it's on lemon law turf now. The 'mechs.' don't know exactly what the problem is, "it could be 100 things" is what they told me.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Horn 06
I ain't no diesel wiz, but when mine did that exact same thing when it was only a year old, I was told to run some injector cleaner through it. I did, and she's been fine since. I was told my 2 mile commute to work was (for lack of a better term) dirtying up the injectors. I ran double dose of Howe's Meaner Power Cleaner for a bit. I also now live 20 miles away from work.
I guess that I should have included this...tried this already too with no positive results...I checked my fuel filter too and it looks fine...should since I just changed it around 3K ago or so...I told them that they aren't to start my truck until Monday afternoon when I get out there to WATCH them start it so that I can see with my own eyes that it just doesn't have the problem in their shop but DOES every morning in my driveway...morons
Old 09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

#1 and #2 injectors being replaced...leaky, guess we'll see how long I'm without truck. Been 4 days so far
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Did they say anything about the mods or did you take them off? Is it still under warranty?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tunaman
Did they say anything about the mods or did you take them off? Is it still under warranty?
Spoke with the diesel mechanic for about 30 minutes...all he cared that I DIDN'T have on it was Bully Dog stuff for some reason? He didn't mind my Edge or Puck stack at all. He knew that our engines have injector issues even under stock power...pretty cool place I think. I was fully prepared for them to void my warranty and send me on my way...and I was also fully prepared to tell my wife that I needed 50hp injectors to cure the problem...and a Walbro kit to cure draining the rail...and a turbo to help keep the EGTs down...and a torque converter and valve body upgrade to help the tranny from slipping from my new found HP...and...well, you get the idea. But they didn't void it

For some reason, something about me and I guess the way I was raised makes me feel bad about taking my mods off the truck before taking it in for $400 a piece injector work to be done when I put a Power Puck on there which raises pressure prett good on them and can cause them to fail prematurely, but that's just me.

Keep in mind though, that I feel like I have gotten lucky with a good dealership for working my issue with performance mods on the truck. Most won't, and I would be willing to bet that since you have a pressure box on your truck, you're gonna have to either get lucky too, or take it off to have warranty work done on it if something goes wrong engine wise.

Quick Reply: What do you all think? (Video)