3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Very unhappy with Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:15 PM
LCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by brk300
This may be a dumb question but I have never been able to break my rear tires loose no mater how hard I try. If its wet and I am turning at a corner sometimes I can though.

I see a lot of people talking about burning up the rears but I cant

I wonder if this may be a result of the injector problems I am having?
It rained alittle here yesterday when I was going thru town. Took off at a stop light , spin/letoff, spin/letoff, spin/letoff. Was trying to take off in 2nd, finialy went to third then fourth and lugged it to get it to grab. Happens all the time when I'm pulling our 16' inclosed trailer. We have two of these trucks and they're both that way. You can shift into third or fourth and throttle it and it'll break loose, all you have to do is keep the RPMS up and the turbo kicks and it'll spin at will. When its dry it's a different story, it really hooks up and jumps foward. A contractor we do some work for bought a used ton and its a dog, kills him to see us spin the tires with that trailer hooked LCH
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by bluebull
Hog Wash, don't put a chip or module or programmer on your truck unless you want your warranty voided. A dodge tech told me to put one on the 99 when I bought it new and was having warranty problems, it was just a way for them to deny warranty on the total drive train.

dodgetech77 you should be banned from these boards for giving such stupid advice. Man, it just xxxxxx me off when some one gives crap advice like that. You know how much xxxxxxx I've gone through since 2000 and money, like $6,000.00 extra out of pocket expense all because some service rep told me to put a power module on.

EDIT BY ADMIN I will tell you one thing, I have forgot more about dodge and cummins diesels then you will ever know!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:58 PM

I have been doing alot of reading and sand bagging before i posted on this site and the amout of R/D and experimentation that you guys do on you rigs is amazing! Now as far as adding a Module to your truck yes it will void warranty!thats why i like the edge EZ module on and off in minutes out of sight out of mind!! I also feel and many im sure would agree that these types of modules are pretty safe for both engine and drivetrain. As far as stacking,injector upgrades,turbo upgrades well you guys already pretty much know if you mess somthin up its on your own dime anyway! Im not encouraging in anyway im merely suggesting a way to get a little more power with out hangin the rods out the side of the block or leaving the tranny on the ground!

DODGETECH77, PLEASE READ THE SITE RULES AGAIN.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK fellows, lets get back to a civilized tone or the thread WILL go away.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You know ,i would try " mixer man " advice. I had problems with my 1st gen, and the problem was exactly that. A new fuel filter and a different place for fuel. I was getting so much water that the filter would start to rust after only about 3000 miles.No problems since. Its a cheap try also.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 AM

If they all don't smoke why do the bumpers and qtr/ panels turn black???
Old 08-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Brk - I think you've gotten some bad advice in this thread to a degree, and some good. I personally think you're starting to believe the dealer's bs, and several in this thread do. First of all you've done nothing wrong, as you suspected, and you are working the truck PLENTY hard enough if you are towing an 8500lb TT on weekends - give me a break! Plain and simple, the dealer/dc should fix your truck completely under warranty. You should be able to putt around like a grandpa empty in it and idle it for hours a day without smoke or ridiculous clatter. This is not a specific use vehicle as some have mentioned, there is nothing saying you can't use these trucks as a grocery getter, despite what all of the 'tough guys' here tell you about how these trucks NEED to be worked. Do not get some magic combination of additives, power modules, drive it like you stole it, or anything of the sort. This is not a diesel problem across the board as some have suggested, but a problem with your truck. As posted, several members have never towed a thing with their trucks, and they do not smoke and run perfectly. I would speak up and get the dealer to fix it, find a new dealer, get in touch with a dc rep (not cust svc), or call a lawyer if you absolutely have to. Diesels do not require any special love or treatment...I've had three now, none with injector problems, and treated them all just the same as any gas vehicle I've had... Stick to your original guns and get that thing covered!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 AM

Lightman speaks the truth ....
Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 AM
tcr

Brk- I worry that you truly do have a fuel delivery problem, your truck should be able to spin the tires on dry ground. My tired ol 03 will still light um up in stock mode and theyr'e 35's! Get your truck fixed, go to another dealer, what ever it takes I would make some demands or get a lawyer. You really shouldn't baby these diesels though, if I baby mine for a period of time and then romp on it (in stock mode) it will smoke like crazy. It never does this when I drive normal med. excelleration.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:25 AM

They did a lift pump test on it and it ran 575 ML up and 600 back in the 10 sec test. As you all can tell I am a newbe to the Diesel world so I am still learning.

Thank you all for all the advice and help with my truck. I have been in daily contact with the dealership and have asked for the Dodge ducumentation on how they want me to drive the truck. Idle time, duty cycles.... when and if they ever give it to me I will post it.

They are saying that the CTD engine is a commercial engine and its built to be worked hard all the time. My argument on that is that Dodge sold me the truck after I told them that it would used as a daily commuter and the sales person told me it would work great for that.

I dumped 2 bottles of PS in it yesterday and beat the truck like a rented mule. This morning it still smoked but It seamed to be a little better. I will keep the whip to it all week and see what happens.

Thank you all again for your help!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM

BRK I think I've made my point but you seem to be either ignoring or missing it. You work your truck PLENTY hard towing that TT - period! Driving it hard will not help a thing except the police's ticket quota. You have already admitted in your first post that you definitely have 2 bad injectors, and that dodge will not fix them. You can dump 55 gals of powerservice in your tank and it will not fix your injectors. Forget the driving style, additives, or other stuff, and concentrate on finding a dodge dealer that is not a moron, or getting your injectors replaced. Again, you should be able to putt in this thing like a grandpa with no smoke or issues. My truck is driven empty 85% of the time, and tows 4k or so a few times a month. It idles at tons of drive thrus, stop and go traffic, and elsewhere. I have no abnormal knocking or smoke whatsoever. Granted the 305/555's are cleaner running than your '600' model, but I can floor it and get no smoke, no smoke at startup either. You are letting your dealer steer you away from the real problem by BLAMING YOU! The problem is faulty injectors and the dealer or dc do not want to pay for them! Wake up buddy!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

brk300,
What ever you do don't let the dealer brush you off. It's their problem not yours, the price of the warranty is figured into the cost of the vehicle, you have already paid for it so let them fix their problem. Get a lawyer, or make a sign about the dealership and park accross the street from them or hound them to end.

Like has been said before a diesel needs no more special care or driving habits than a gas vehicle. Make them give you documentation that states your cummins diesel needs certain driving habits.

Also every time you talk to the dealer or have them do some thing to your vehicle get it in writing. All it takes is for them to write it on their dealership service slip. After so many attempts by the dealer to fix a problem and it still exists they have to buy the vehicle back under the lemon law. Keep a paper trail. As soon as they get you to do something to the vehicle that should not be done then they can and will void your warranty. Don't let them buffalo you. Another thing I wouldn't admit to them or anyone else I drove the vehicle like I stole it, they could constru that as abuse and that is whats causing your vehicle problems.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:50 PM

If you notice, the common suggestion from most of the responses offered is "find another dealer". I have been there and done that and i am convinced that finding a dealer who understands these diesels is scarce as hens teeth !
Old 08-17-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ask them where it says on the sticker "This truck must be worked real hard to comply with the 7/70 and 5/100 warranty." Hold their feet to the fire and make them fix it. I really can't believe that this type of nonsense still exists in the time we live in.

Follow the wise words of Mr Lightman, he is dead on with this.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM

I tow 8000 lbs about once a year, the rest of the time it's a commuter.

About a month ago, with 27.5k miles on it, my truck started running rough. No white smoke or hard knocking, but definitely louder and rougher than it "normally" did. Power was down a tad as well. I was getting worried about an injector going south, until I actually heard a bad injector (in another truck)…THAT was LOUD. I started using Power Service and took the “drive-it-like-you-stole-it” attitude……now, one month and 500 miles later; the truck seems to be running better than ever.

Just today I installed the Rokk Tech modified crankshaft sensor and it runs even better.

Quick Reply: Very unhappy with Dodge