3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Very unhappy with Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice if I'm running the rpms too high (>1800) until it warms up, it'll smoke alot.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:41 AM

dodgetech77

You running a predator?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 AM

brk300

Drive it like you stole it for about a week. Then go back to driving normal with the occasional romp on the pedal and you wont have anymore problems. These trucks are not meant to be babied along.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm one of those guys that does a lot of short trips during the week that rarely gets the engine up to temp. I have to say that it runs much better and has a lot less clatter after a day at the drag strip, say 20 or so WOT 1/4 mile runs. It will run real well for the next couple of weeks, then its time to hit the strip again.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 AM

I agree that you need to romp on these trucks sometimes to get them to run tip-top, but what the dealer is saying to him is BS. They can't deny a warranty claim for not "using the truck hard enough" unless they told him so before he bought it.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by bama
Do you know any lawyers?
You may need to use the lemon law in your area.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 AM

You guys are right, they can not deny a warranty claim. However they are just trowing darts blind folded to fix the problem, meaning they dont have a clue what is wrong.

However the smoking problem is not uncommon in any diesels produced on the market today. Its not a common rail problem and its not a Dodge problem. Its a diesel problem that all diesels have. Have a neigbor that has a Duramax that smokes the neigborhood out every morning and a buddy that has a powerstroke and they have the same problem on cold starts. Powerstroke putting out wayyy more smoke, especialy when its cold out. They have came long strides from the older diesels but they still have some of the same problems and smoking is one of them.

The key is additives. You need to run some to keep those injectors clean. Once you do it will be fine. Romp on it everyonce in a while. When you blow the built out soot out of your pipes and see black smoke as you get on it. Thats good enough.

If you cant deal with that then maybe you should go back to gasser.

For the guys that say they dont smoke, let somebody else start your truck and watch your tail pipe in the morning. It will smoke unless your heavy on the addidtive and heavy on the foot.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 AM

Well today I started the “drive it like you stole it†test on the truck. I just hope I don’t get a ticket for driving like a mad man. Thanks for all the responses I will let you know if it improves.

1 more question…. How long does it take for your truck to come up to operating temp?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:11 AM

So, now you drive the struck like you stole it. Truck runs better but then something happens and it dies. So back to the dealer only to find out that since you were beating on it, they won't warranty anything.

That would be my luck.

Though I will admit. Mine is a daily driver and have only towed a small utility trailer once or twice. But my right foot is rather heavy and those rear tires do seem to have less tread then the front ones.

Oh, and my truck runs like a top. No smoke or anything. 13,600 miles so far in 4 months.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:23 AM

The only white smoke I have seen from my truck was from the tires
Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Berak
I bought my truck new in 2003 and it has never towed a **** thing. Until this year (35000 miles later), I never even had a good load in the bed. It runs like a top. I don't buy what your dealer is selling .... and I say your dealer cause I don't think DC would be dumb enough to say what they say they're saying.
Same as above except the heaviest thing I tow is my utility trailer with a Sportsman 700 on it.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Change that fuel filter out and start fueling somewhere else using additives on every fill up . I changed mine at 6000 miles and it was black and made a noticeable difference .
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by dodgetech77
Well you dont go in there with the module on your truck. the one im talking about is the one i run takes about 5 min to install . I noticed my truck seems to run better with it. Im dealing with these problems everyday and i dont have an answer and niether does DC.
Your a Dodge Tech and your running a chip???
Please tell us what your running??

I would like a small boost but don't want to push the 48re!!

Sorry if this is a post-jack!!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Hog Wash, don't put a chip or module or programmer on your truck unless you want your warranty voided. A dodge tech told me to put one on the 99 when I bought it new and was having warranty problems, it was just a way for them to deny warranty on the total drive train.

dodgetech77 you should be banned from these boards for giving such stupid advice. Man, it just xxxxxx me off when some one gives crap advice like that. You know how much xxxxxxx I've gone through since 2000 and money, like $6,000.00 extra out of pocket expense all because some service rep told me to put a power module on.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:28 PM

This may be a dumb question but I have never been able to break my rear tires loose no mater how hard I try. If its wet and I am turning at a corner sometimes I can though.

I see a lot of people talking about burning up the rears but I cant

I wonder if this may be a result of the injector problems I am having?

Quick Reply: Very unhappy with Dodge