3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should not VOID the warranty based on the spent turbo and the rear seal-makes no sense. If they scanned the computer and saw higher boost and fuel rail pressures then yes.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry forgot to mention this..........

there was the factory airbox, and no box on the truck............

but, go look at where the connector are for the edge, you will see a strip of paint running vertically on the plugs ( is green on mine),

first thing they saw was the clean fuse box cover (it was much cleaner than the rest of the engine) and then they took a flashlight and saw the connectors and the broken paint line, and that was all she wrote.

chris
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So they are getting tricky!! I like the looks of the truck with the 315's!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 AM

Have you tried getting CUMMIN's involved? I would call and have them work with you and Dodge.

Just a thought..
Old 08-12-2004, 09:32 AM

Ok it has been asked a couple of times if you have guages and I don't see that you have ever said you do. In which case I say to bad for you because no one should be running a fuel box with out an EGT guage at the very least.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 AM

MOPAR, you are correct, i am not running gauges.....should i run gauges, yup.........would that have solved this problem? no way to know. i am just not going to run another chip on my new truck, or whatever i do, being as i run these trucks so hard already, i don't want to give the dealers anymore reason to void warranty.......

chris
Old 08-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by CCOUGHRAN
MOPAR, you are correct, i am not running gauges.....should i run gauges, yup.........would that have solved this problem? no way to know. i am just not going to run another chip on my new truck, or whatever i do, being as i run these trucks so hard already, i don't want to give the dealers anymore reason to void warranty.......

chris
It may not have kept it from happening no, depends on what did happen. If their is a piston with a hole in it or such the EGT would have let you know something was wrong. Same with a turbo problem a boost guage may have gave you an indication before things got real bad.

Personaly I have been running the EZ on my truck level 4 all the time, have 42,000 miles on it now with 0 problems so far Done a few runs around 31,000 gross and one at a tuch under 38,000 with no troubles.

I run the X-Monitor and wouldn't go with out one now that I have it, great for knowing how hard the truck is really working.

But on a happy note I think yours is the first 3gen Cummins that I have read on theese boards, much better then I can say for the Ford and Chevy boards, just too bad it had to be you.

If I were you I think I would go for the trad in and see if you can get them a little closer then the $6000 loss.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM

Chris, I think you're rolling over too easy. If the wires aren't pierced, and so what if the fuse box is cleaner than the rest of the engine? I think you're giving up too easy. You need to press the issue further up the chain.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM

Cummins sells the engines to D.C.with NO WARRANTY.That has been part of their agreement.D.C.foots the bill or so I have read and been told.I also bet the failurs they see percentages must be high that is was BOMBED and not stock.G.M.got fussy about AUTO TRANS repairs under warranty and through their GMPP contracts.had to have proof of maintance as per the owners manual.Said the ones that at LEAST had that the failure rate was cut by 3/4! Mazda is TAKING a BEATING on manual trans repairs.Bent&badly worn shift forks and broken collars and synros.The RACE ROCKET crowd is at fault.Mazda does a ONE time deal and its NOTED on the computer about warranty restrictions on trans from then on.But just recently on ONE of these boards a NEW(485 miles)burnt a hole like a blow torch through number 6 piston I believe.Injector failure! The tech was NOT required to pull head(had 0 compression)but he did because he was curious and thats what he found.the POST said he took it in running ROUGH and a Tech and shop foreman I believe took it on a test drive.They came back with the COPS following them and it died on their lot.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 PM

Good luck whichever route you take.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:45 PM

do worry about that picture all that says that ford is a slave to a DODGE!
Old 08-12-2004, 02:22 PM

Well you can bet its most often the other way around.we read about one or two failures bi yearly.The FORD site its kinda been weekly! they even link into truck pulls showing DODGES pulling and blowing smoke.NO V8 diesels in the clips at all.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Banned

Coughran: I went to 3 different dealerships before i could get a VP replaced..and when the last one finally did it, the turbo blades had been scraping the compressor housing and making alot of noise...they wouldn't warranty it because i had an AFE filter on it! YET...i had a Holley Blue pusher on the frame and they warrantied the VP
Old 08-13-2004, 09:50 AM

it amazes me that so many of you want to cheat the dealers for problems you know that are directly related to what you did to the truck (if cummins and DC didn't put it on than why should they cover your risks or stupidity). is there no honesty with you ya'll complain that the dealer is cheating you but its ok if you do it to them. Take some responsibility for your actions if ya'll want to make your trucks more manly than act like a man when you screw it up. it disgusts me tohere all this whineing

Quick Reply: trashed my engine? oil everywhere!