3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

here goes,
while towing a small load of hay ( 90 bales), i noticed a funny sound out of my turbo/ exhaust. kind of a strange whine/howl...
i pulled over to see what was wrong, and at idle, or if revving a little i got a metallic grind/clatter....

upon further inspection, i noticed that the entire understide of the truck was coated in oil, as was the trailer, my tailgate, etc.

it was coming out the tube in front of the starter, pulled the oil fill cap, and it was steaming out of there, but not a lot of oil, looked more like vapor/ smoke... also gray smoke pouring out the tailpipe.

the oil pressure was fine while driving, but if you were running down the road and let off the throttle, pressure would drop to to 0,and the check gauges lite came on.

it will go in for service today at dodge, and i will see what wil happen. i am going to pull my edge, and put factory airbox back on as well, and see what they say.

btw, here is a picture of my trip home behind a FORD.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great....just wait 'til the Ford guys get hold of this one...

Good luck with getting it fixed. I don't know much about it, but if I were guessing I'd say you smoked your turbo. Hopefully you stopped soon enough that you didn't smoke the engine as well.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:43 AM

Re: trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

Originally posted by CCOUGHRAN
here goes,
while towing a small load of hay ( 90 bales), i noticed a funny sound out of my turbo/ exhaust. kind of a strange whine/howl...
i pulled over to see what was wrong, and at idle, or if revving a little i got a metallic grind/clatter....

upon further inspection, i noticed that the entire understide of the truck was coated in oil, as was the trailer, my tailgate, etc.

it was coming out the tube in front of the starter, pulled the oil fill cap, and it was steaming out of there, but not a lot of oil, looked more like vapor/ smoke... also gray smoke pouring out the tailpipe.

the oil pressure was fine while driving, but if you were running down the road and let off the throttle, pressure would drop to to 0,and the check gauges lite came on.

it will go in for service today at dodge, and i will see what wil happen. i am going to pull my edge, and put factory airbox back on as well, and see what they say.

btw, here is a picture of my trip home behind a FORD.
Ouch; sounds messy. Any idea what the temps were prior to puking? I wonder if the box had anything to do with it?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:51 AM

Also make certain that you do not have a fram oil filter on her that will void your warranty . Also check for code if cycle the key three times it will give your codes were your mileage is. And good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 AM

If I were to guess I would say you will be getting a new turbo in your near future! Hopefully it didn’t hurt the rest of your engine.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:06 AM

If it were my truck and I seen zero on the oil psi gauge I would run it till it locked up cause you can bet that it shortened the life of your cummins. just my .002
Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 AM

i just checked the turbo, i have about 1/2 of play....

the psi would drop, and oil puking everywhere.......is that the turbo, or is that something in the engine?

i pulled off my edge, and put the silencer ring back in,,,,now i think i will go check codes.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:24 AM

P0524 is the code.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by CCOUGHRAN
i just checked the turbo, i have about 1/2 of play....

the psi would drop, and oil puking everywhere.......is that the turbo, or is that something in the engine?

i pulled off my edge, and put the silencer ring back in,,,,now i think i will go check codes.
As I said, I don't know much but it sounds like you smoked your turbo. I assume by "1/2" you meant that you have 1/2" play in the little turbo fan....which is a bad thing. I also think that a blown turbo would make your psi drop as well as start spitting out oil. Either way....it's not good.

I can't say that I agree with you pulling the Edge off and putting your silencer ring back in and changing the air box back to stock...but there's a whole other thread on the issue of modifications and ethics.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM

hoss,

thanks for your input about the truck, i appreciate it.

as far as the ethics is concerned, i am on the fence.....

are there ethics when it concerns a car dealership? i know my family has owned a few, and i have many friends in the business, who always justify screwing people(which may be exactly what i am trying to do, lol).

my dealer has always told me that they are not concerned with aftermarket parts, acually they will sell and install injectors, performance boxes, etc.... but that does not make me feel brave enough to carry the truck in there with the parts still on it.

chris
Old 08-09-2004, 12:28 PM

What dealer do you go to?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 PM

......edit........
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM

IMHO, you might want to edit this post and just PM the guy with the info so you won't get this dealership in trouble with DC, and that they will also still provide this type of service to other people. I'm sure they will appreciate it......
Old 08-09-2004, 01:05 PM

socal,,,,,good idea.

i guess i had my head up my bum, and not hyinking straight.

chris
Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Did you put gauges on that thing with the Edge? If you did and installed a Pyro then DC will probably VOID your warranty on the Turbo anyway. They might say that you let metal shavings drop into the Turbo and that is the cause of detination of it

IMO, you should leave the extra's installed so that they can properly troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed.
I'll bet yo were running that Edge Box on a high level also

OH yeah, those Ferd guys are NOT going to let us live this one down

Quick Reply: trashed my engine? oil everywhere!