3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can trade it in as it sits and take about a 6000.00 loss
If your payment is the same, and that is your "only" loss, I'd say trade it. A new engine will cost MORE. Plus, if you trade it, you'll be getting more hp/torque stock.

Trade it. Plus, you'll have warranty on the new truck.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:12 PM

the dealer is in a funny spot right now........the lady from chrysler was there today, and saw the truck, and said no deal........i confronted the dealer, about them trying to sell me the performance goodies, and trying to sell me a 2004 on the lot new with lift, exhaust, box, etc.......after that the service manager is much more cooperative..... i asked him about trading in my truck, and he said to tell them(the sales guy), that it has an oil leak, and he will confirm that, and not tell the sales guy about the extent of the damage at trade in........i am not really sure what to do at this point........i do have some decent connections at another dealer in town, and will probably try that route first...and then go from there.....
the 2004's have rebates right now, but finding the one i want seems impossible.

chris
Old 08-11-2004, 09:12 PM

I still don't understand them denying warrenty? If the damage was is fact just a rear main seal how was that caused by the Edge and why is the Chrysler lady denying warrenty? I reread this thread numerous times and still don't see the real problem listed. What is the final verdict on what happened to the damage the engine? This is all starting to smell funny to me...

-Richard
Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by sloppy
That is the second time I have heard about "Edge Chip" tearing up a Diesel Engine. The other occasion was a 04 PSD. Why don't you see if "Edge" will pay for the damage. This is there product, they need to have a decent backing, belly up and pay up. DC shouldn't have to eat the cost.
What makes you think it was the Edge that caused the problem? Could be a number of things not even related to the Edge.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 PM

What HAPPENED to it? i'm missing that!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM

That's what I was saying earlier. This whole story doesn't make sense and is starting to smell of bait...
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM

There was also a NEW one with less then 500 miles burn a hole in a piston.had to have a engine.NO BOX OR ANY MODS.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

the new engines have had a few problems w/ injectors leaking... not nearly as frequent as the 6.0's or Duramaxes, but the problems do exist...

he had one or more leaking injector which filled the crankcase w/ diesel, wiped out the bearings and turbocharger, probably wiped out the rear main seal, and who knows how the cylinder walls look!

Forrest
Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM

Last time I checked, they have to prove that the BOMBS is what caused the failure.
To me it seems that they are taking the CHEAP way out because you are not pushing the issue.

I guess I had better pull my Banks Six Gun off. Well I guess it doesn't matter now, Ive already had it at the dealer and they probably already have noted the BOMB I hope I don't run into any problems.

Good luck in getting resolved
Old 08-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Banned

last time I checked, they have deeper pockets than you... good luck w/ your lawsuit!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 AM

1/2 inch play at turbo ,it's done. Oil pan filling up with fuel = bad injector. A hole in your piston will definately cause a miss, even when the turbo is shot. The way you described your dealer diagnosing your oil leak /blowby problem makes me think they do not know what they are doing . if you are worried about your engine get a compression test done, all holes should read the same, worst case you scored a cylinder ,that will be your bad injector . If all holes are good (no scores) get the injectors tested, replace the turbo and turbo drain pipe. Why did they pull the pan ? I myself would fight tooth and nail until they fixed it. Their is definately something wrong with how the dealer went about diagnosing this. Keep us posted
Old 08-12-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, if he removed everything prior to arriving to the dealer, how did they know it was bombed and deny warranty? (I'm sure if they diagnose readings in the chip, they might see things, but if it is not on it, will they look through a microscope?) Did he fess up to it or was this deal installed by the dealer and they knew about it? Reading these things is making me nervous to do anything myself. ARE THEY REALLY GETTING THAT BAD!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 AM

Beyond the obvious indicators like exhausts, guages, big air cleaners (which may or may not have any direct relationship to the injuries), they provide enough evidence to dig further if necessary. There are many ways to find evidence of tampering/bombing mods. Some of them include wires modded, dirt (or lack of), velcro, tie wraps, ECM memory.

Does it really surprise anyone on this board that any dealer will look for evidence of tampering to not honoring the warranty after catastrophic engine damage? Its not that they're getting that bad, its been like that. Its all about $$$. The burden of proof will be on the truck owner in a legal setting to prove otherwise. As someone said above, DC's got some pretty deep pockets and a legion of lawyers well versed in warranty issues on the payroll.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and if you've got a good relationship with a particular dealer, good for you. Ethical issues not-withstanding (as said above as well), its still a crap-shoot and the dealer could change thier mind at any time. If the dealer pays the claim and DC denies it, the dealer just ate the cost of repairs - again, thats good for you.

There can be a fine line from being your own warranty station.

edit: Maybe DC could sponsor a new tv show: CSI Daimler Chrysler.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:25 AM

gypsyman, i really dont understand why you call this bait... i made a post about a prob with my truck,and asked some questions......big deal.............

i agree somewhat about the diagnosis being fishy........truth be known it is undetermined at this point,,,,,,,,,they said they are denying warranty on what they have seen wrong( turbo,rear seal), why would i have the tech go any further?

as said before i can trade it in, fix it, or get another dealer to warranty it?

i think that i will trade mine in, and get another 6spd, 4x4, and just put in my gooseneck hitch, replace the bumpers, and install my stereo again.thats it........no more hotrod goodies for me.........i will just buy me a 1996-97 12 valve to play with, and get an auto for it.....

as for me pushing the warranty issue...........why? i tried to get them to honor the warranty, and i will prolly try another dealership( in hopes that they will cover it), but if they don't, i can't really blame them can i?

correct m if i am wrong, but the edge increases rail pressure, and that can adversely affect an injector, which we "think" is the root of the problems.........the filter should not void the warranty, nor the exhaust, but i can definatly see where the edge box did......

at this point i am just trying to minimize my out of pocket,,,,,,,and it looks like i will take a hit on trade or repair the truck will be about the same money, so if that is in fact the case, i will go with a new truck with a new warranty....

thanks for all the responses/ advice

chris

Quick Reply: trashed my engine? oil everywhere!