3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trashed my engine? oil everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0524 = Engine Oil Presure to Low Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 08-09-2004, 07:33 PM

supergewl,

i don't care about the ford guys, heck, i own several fords. as a matter of fact that is what i am driving now that the dodge is torn up.... i have done all the same stuff on my fords that i have done to my dodge,,,,,,,,,,i can tell you which one i enjoy driving the most--------the dodge--------which one has given me the most trouble.. the dodge........will i buy another,,,,,yup, i guess i am just dumb....but i prefer driving it, i just wish the **** thing would stay on the road.......

so far in 47,000 miles

new transfer case, intercooler boot, rear caliper, grab handle, hub caps, overhead display, turbo? engine?

in my 3 other fords that i have now...... 2003 f550, 2004 f550, 2003 f350,( also the 2002 dodge has been trouble free) no troubles to speak of, and NOTHING mechanical.

i will give dodge another try, and if it does not work, i will step up to a mid duty truck.

chris
Old 08-10-2004, 08:46 PM

CCOUGHRAN

Can you also edit that picture?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:53 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to hear what happened too!. But I can't see how it could be the turbo. With the heavy blowby, enough to blow oil out and all over, and the blowby out the oil fill cap, it sounds like a head gasket or a cracked piston. But those would not cause low oil pressure with no load and OK oil pressure with a load (I think that's how you described it). Maybe it's also out of oil. Or the piston has a hole in it and the piece is down playing in the crankcase causing the grinding and oil pressure problem. Eeeek.

Wetspirit
Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say you hit the nail on the head Wet, it's done.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:46 PM

I am thinking the same thing , there probably a piston scored or cracked , the blowby would not be that high if the turbo let go only and at idle from lack of boost, there is probably enough debris in the oil system to cause a oil press. problem at idle and have just enough press. at above idle , which I doubt because of the on/off switch used in the oil press. sensor. Cummins have been loosing pistons from injectors getting clogged and shooting full fuel into the cylinders at all 4 strokes on the common rail system, last one was in a firetruck that didnt last 3 seconds when the driver heard the knocking.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:48 AM

some stuff i forgot to mention.........
the oil level on the dipstick seems to be rising...oil everywhere, but it is way past the full mark, also, while idleing on the side of the freeway in texas heat, the truck would read good oil pressure, but consumed 1/4 tank of fuel in 1-1-1/2 hours.

the oil pressure drops when coming to a stop from running at load, like say sitting at a stoplight it will drop, then i goose the engine, and it will idle properly.

dealer is working on the truck, should have some news today, i hope.

chris
Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 AM

The fuel is going into your crankcase & oil somewhere. You probably have a leaking/faulty injector that burned a hole in one of the pistons and is now continuing to fill the oil pan with fuel. That's why you're seeing the rising oil level and high fuel consumption. With all the extra "oil" in the crankcase the oil pressure will drop dramatically, so that explains why you're seeing no oil pressure at idle and low oil pressure underway. With all the fuel in the oil the lubricity drops fast, so the "rough" oil took out the turbocharger bearing and is causing it to leak oil, too. As for all of the oil everywhere, my guess is the crankcase pressure is is really high with the overfilled "oil" level and the piston damage, so it's shooting oil out the blow-by tube & filter assembly that's under the black plastic valvecover. That probably got overworked with all the oil coming through it, so it just spewed oil everywhere. That's my guess on the situation anyway....

John
Old 08-11-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe Banshee is right, a bad injector started the chain of events.
CCOUGHRAN, I noticed you have a Edge EZ, do you have gauges?

MikeyB
Old 08-11-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please keep us posted, I'm curious how DC handles this.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 AM

banshee.

thanks fr the input, i believe that makes perfect sense.
the oil looked to be coming out the tube directly in front if the starter. maybe 1/2-3/4" diameter, then spewing all the way back.

i talked to the dealer this am, they said so far it is a blown rear seal, they are pulling the tranny to look further. said give them a few more hours to get more info for diagnosis.

chris
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 AM

If they find it holed a piston and filled the crankcase with fuel fight for a new engine don't let them rebuild that one. And make sure they flush and flow test all coolers and the radiator or replace them completely.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:11 PM

ok, here is the deal......
the chrysler lady happened to be at the dealership today, and will not authorize warranty coverage.....what is the saying?
"modify, and you are your own warranty station"

they did not tear into the engine, but have said it will require new oil pan gasket, rear seal, turbo, and misc. internals....

i have a few options.

i can trade it in as it sits and take about a 6000.00 loss, and get a new one, but they don't have exactly what i want, and having trouble finding another 6 speed as well.

i can buy a complete new engine and turbo......any idea what that will cost????

or i had the idea that maybe i should have piers build me a 12 valve..but, will it bolt in, and what all will be entailed in the swap?
i assume just a flywheel/ clutch?

thanks, chris
Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

I'd buy a good used lower mile 12v motor and bomb the **** out of it!!!

Forres
Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM

Chris, you said this earlier:
"my dealer has always told me that they are not concerned with aftermarket parts, acually they will sell and install injectors, performance boxes, etc.... " . So why aren't they going to cover the repairs? Was there something that made the bombs apparent?

Quick Reply: trashed my engine? oil everywhere!