3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission rebuild

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Transmission rebuild

Just wondering what I should do before the next travel season. My 05 Ram Cummins has 107K miles and so far the transmission has been good. I've changed the fluid and filter 3 times but a good percentage of my use is towing a 5th wheel. I have considered trading for a new truck but the price $$ scared me off considering the added pain of all the issues I read about with DEF fluid, sensors, computer glitches and so forth. I really like my 05. It's garage kept, perfect condition inside and out and pulls my 5th wheel very good. I can see no reason to spend another $50 to $70K at this point in life.

I'm considering a rebuild on my 48RE with new clutches, bands,torque converter, etc. before I head across the continent next year on a trip West. I would much rather spend
the money here and be without the truck for a few days rather than be in the Rocky Mts and at the mercy of some transmission shop I know nothing about. To be stranded in some remote location is not a pleasant thought. Transmission repair is not a one day fix. There is a local shop near my home that has a very clean reputation. Right now it works good but at over 100k miles I know it must need some attention considering the life it has lead in front of my 5th whee What would you do??? Opinions or experiences appreciated.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
> try this search

Honest Transmission Advice Needed

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I frequently ask myself the same questions. There are so many variables involved it's hard to decide. My '06 has 144K miles now and is used much like your '05.

On my '98 12V I replaced the T/C on a trip to Arkansas years ago because I thought it was slipping slightly. I still am not sure if that was the case or if it was my imagination.
The 48RE is a better tranny than the 47RE was and I haven't imagined any problems with it yet but keep watching for signs.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Danavilla
I frequently ask myself the same questions. There are so many variables involved it's hard to decide. My '06 has 144K miles now and is used much like your '05.

On my '98 12V I replaced the T/C on a trip to Arkansas years ago because I thought it was slipping slightly. I still am not sure if that was the case or if it was my imagination.
The 48RE is a better tranny than the 47RE was and I haven't imagined any problems with it yet but keep watching for signs.
I think I will keep changing the fluid and maybe have the bands adjusted soon. I will risk a breakdown and just keep in mind that Jasper sells re-manufactured transmissions nationwide with a three year 100K warranty. A friend of mine who runs a garage told me about this. This way I don't have to be at the mercy of some transmission shop possibly hundreds of miles from home. If I would get a rebuild at some unknown shop and then drive away and it fails again I would be totally out of luck!! Jasper's warranty is nationwide and you can even pay extra to cover labor charges. You shouldn't fix it if it is not broke........and right now it ain't broke! In the past few days since posting this question I have determined that the 48RE is much better than the 47RE it replaced in 2004.5, many transmission issues with Dodge trucks are because many people put chips or programmers on these trucks to up the power and this is hard on a transmission and normal driving with fluid changes has proven these transmissions to be pretty good. The newer transmissions with 6 gears or more (there are some 10 gears now) are very complex. The addition of all these gears is not for reliability it's for MPG mandated by the government