3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans ??

I know nothing about transmissions, but here goes my issue.
In my 06 Mega CTD 4x4 automatic trans., when ever I first start it up and it has set more than an hour, it takes a couple extra seconds after I put it in gear to back up or go forward for the truck to move. I was leaving work last night and started up the truck, let it run about 1-2 minutes while I messed around with my CD selection for the drive home, put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot, and took my foot off the brake and on to the go peddle, then the truck just reved up to about 1500-1800rpm and hardly moved at all like it was in nutral. When the engine idles back down to about 700rpm the truck starts to respond to the accelerator more like normal. It is not that the gear is not in the right place I am sure of that any way I make sure it is in the corect gear and feel it in posion before i take my foot off the brake every time. Is this a sign I need to add more trans fluid or something or it it normal. This is my first diesel and like I said I know nothing about them, other than I love the power this thing makes and the milage I get while making it. Any help or input in this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Does this happen in forward also? Being that the truck is still under warranty you can take it to the dealer... to me right now I'm assuming that there is a line pressure issue in the tranny caused by a servo or solenoid.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Yea... forward or reverse. but once it get moving and idles back down it seem fine, but it does happen in forward or reverse any time the truck sets for more than an hour. What your saying makes sense though it is like the trans has to build up preassure to fully engauge or something, and it seems to do this only after I put it in gear and let it "think" about moving, (possibly building preassure???). LIke I said I don't know any thing about how it works. I just know with any of my other vehicle (gas any way) when I put them in gear and push the gas peddle, they respond immediatly to throttle input.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM

my truck did same thing. happened every other time i left from dead stop. it was torque convertor
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 PM

So i just got off the phone with the dealership and the tech there is telling me that there has been a TSB for this very issue. Something having to do a filter falling down in the trans. He said that he has had several trucks that have been towed in as a result of this and if the problem continues I more than liely will be in the same boat. Here is the kicker....the tech I spoke with is the trans guy for the dealership, so he knows what I'm talking about apparently but,,,,he is off all next week so the earliest I can get it in to be checked out is the 21st. I made the appointment for 8am on the 21st. I hope I don't get left on the side of the road between now and then, and that it will be fixed by memorial weekend (the 25th) so I can haul the boat up north and all the other toys..
Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM

If the filter is loose or has fallen off, then the tranny is starving for fluid, I would either park it until the 21st, find a dealer that can do the work asap, or do it yourself, but all you are doing is burning up the tranny by driving it the way it is.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

It's perfectly normal to have that happen after sitting overnight or for a few days...not sure about hours though. The fluid drains out of the TC and it takes a few seconds for it to refill. Idling in Park doesn't circulate the fluid so the TC can't refill until you put it in gear (or N). Mine does it after sitting overnight and you can actually feel the TC filling up and the truck slowly starts to move like it should.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rob C
If the filter is loose or has fallen off, then the tranny is starving for fluid, I would either park it until the 21st, find a dealer that can do the work asap, or do it yourself, but all you are doing is burning up the tranny by driving it the way it is.
I only have 5700 miles on this truck so far....
and I can't just park it (need transportation) if it cooks the tranny then It will be covered by warranty, and I will make damb sure that I get a compairable loaner from the dealer while they put the new one in mine...I guess.