24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trans temp gauge and trans cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans temp gauge and trans cooler install

Installing an extra trans cooler in-line on my 99 4X4 auto. Just a few basic questions from a newbie ???<br><br>Which line coming out of the trans is the pressure line? Is it the one that comes out towards the front of the trans or towards the back? Here's another: I bought a trans temp guage and the sending unit is a little screwy. The directions tell you to tap it into your pan. Not crazy about that. There are 4 small plugs on the passenger side of the trans. They appear to be the same size thread as the sending unit. Can I use one of these plugs to screw in the sending unit? What are the plugs for? They look like empty sensor ports or something. Trying to temperature proof this thing before vacation and some tough pulls with my trailer in the southwest desert. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:26 AM

Location: Friends Don&#039;t let Friends Drive Power Jokes!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:trans temp gauge and trans cooler install

The best place to install the sender for your gauge is in the line leaving the trans, That would be your hottest temp as fluid leaves to be cooled. Be carefull hooking into the line taps on the side as they are mainly for testing different line pressure readings and you may hook into a servo tap and your gauge will only register when that servo strokes, Now as to which line is the pressure line....They both are!!! But to answer your question the line torwards the rear is the return line, Bringing the cooled fluid back then dumping it into the overdrive section. Hook your cooler into the front line and for about $10 you can get some compression fittings and a adaptor fitting at a hardware store you can screw your sender into. Make sure you place the sender before the cooler so your reading the temp before the fluid is cooled. I would stay away from installing the sender in the pan as I have seen alot of those setups leak and that would not be the hottest place for reading fluid temps... Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck,
FreightTrain Wayneo,
17 Year Transmission Vet