3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Think have a leaking injector

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well I have injectors 1-5 removed. Just how do you remove that bracket from the back of the motor??? I have read how some have removed it from below. I don't think this will work as my back will not allow me to reach at that angle to get the bolts off.

Anyone else have methods that have worked for removing this cursed bracket?

I'm thinking using an air ratchet would be the best, just not sure that I could even fit one in that tight space.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by masterphreak
Just how do you remove that bracket from the back of the motor???
If I remember correctly (I tend to forget past nightmares) I just used a combination wrench. I tugged and pushed on it from every angle you can think of but don't remember exactly which one was the successful one. Sorry. I do remember laying across the engine and do remember trying to pull on the wrench from below.

What I do remember very clearly, is the fact the bracket and bolts fits very neatly in the rear under-seat storage compartment.
Good luck. Back to morning brew . . .
Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 AM

I may go invest in one of those ratcheting combination wrenches to aided in this endeavor.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 PM

I got that stupid bracket off tonight and got #6 injector removed. Those ratcheting wrenches are actually really nice.

Sat on top of the motor and felt around to get a good idea of what I was working with since I can't really see anything from below when reaching up that far.

Was able to get both bolts off with relative ease. Almost caught the bracket with my face when it came loose.

My 9 year old son was supervising from above.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:47 PM

I know this is an old thread... I just got the new injectors for my truck. Took me 2 years to be able to afford that. Just drained the oil before getting ready to start it and got over 6 gallons of oil/diesel out of it. Since I have never encountered this issues before, is this normal to get so much oil? I drop a bore-scope in each cylinder and didn't see any obvious damage. Worried now that it may have been leaking fuel into oil much longer than previously thought.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:05 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by masterphreak
. . . is this normal to get so much oil?
The amount of oil/fuel that drains out is directly related to how bad the injector leakage is and running time with the leaky injectors. Once you put the new injectors in, you probably won't have any more issues. Some people run the engine with the new oil for a short time, then do another oil change. Some don't think this is necessary.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 PM

After charging the batteries went to start the truck and bumped the starter to activate the lift pump. Heard it come on, ran for 30 seconds, bumped starter again and went to look for any leaks on the low pressure fittings while it was running... suddenly diesel starts pouring out from under the front bumper area were I had rerouted a new drain hose from the filter canister. Yep the one thing I hadn't checked was the fuel drain valve. Of course I was able to verify good fuel flow as a result. Once I closed the valve bumped the starter once more before trying to crank. Truck fired up after about 60 seconds of cranking in short 20-30 second attempts. Ran rough for a bit then ran smooth as ever. No leaks yet as far as I can tell.
The following 2 users liked this post by masterphreak:
CTD NUT (09-24-2019), FMB (09-22-2019)