3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Runs fine without the Walbro

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Runs fine without the Walbro

I worked on the truck today and had a battery out. In the process I forgot to re-connect the lift pump relay wire and drove for about 15 miles before I thought of it. My Walbro pump was not running and the truck ran normally. I guess the CP3 can suck through it just fine. Now I'm wondering if I should just leave it off until I run out of fuel or change the filter. When the original lift pump failed, about 120,000 miles ago, it killed the truck.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
John, I would not run with out the low pressure pump for very long, even though the CP3 can pull enough to keep it running. I know D-max's run their CP3 with no LP, but I would not chance it, that is too expensive of a chance.

Get rid of the walbro and get an AD or FASS. I had a walbro a while back, it ran great for a while, then I could not get it to be consistent on the pressure. I hear a lot of stories like this.

The reason that your truck would not run when the original LP died is because it is not a flow through design. Once that motor died in the pump, the impeller fins (or whatever you call them) would not spin, and would not allow enough fuel for the truck to run to get by.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Mark,

I'm not serious about leaving it disconnected. Just surprised.

I've had excellent luck with mine and I have a low pressure gauge on it that consistantly reads about 25 PSI. Been good for about 120,000 miles now. Maybe I'm on borrowed time.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my Walbro this past summer. I did not have the miles on mine that you have on yours. I didn't know it was out until I changed the fuel filter. I was towing at a gross of about 11,200 lbs over some long 6% grades. I may have even had it out the year before when I towed over a pass that was over 8000 ft. as I changed my fuel filters at 12,000 miles.

I was in Idaho Falls, ID and could not get a replacement Walbro until they shipped it up from Salt Lake City. I found a Holley Blue and it got me home and lasted exactly 30 days. I then bought an Air Dog FP100 from Lary here in the DTR Store.

I suggest either buying an AD now or at least saving up for it because it isn't "If you will need a replacement but when".
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
Mark,

I'm not serious about leaving it disconnected. Just surprised.

I've had excellent luck with mine and I have a low pressure gauge on it that consistantly reads about 25 PSI. Been good for about 120,000 miles now. Maybe I'm on borrowed time.
Man, I'm glad you have had good luck with that pump. They seem to be great for normal applications, but when you start playing, they don't last long.

If that walbro is working for you, you could always buy another one (they're still about 100 bucks, right?) and toss it in the tool box. I've been thinking about throwing my old walbro in the truck just in case...

Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have erratic pump pressures as measured by my Commander anyway... Always low since new. Bounce around some, from maybe 3-8 pounds, but I can change the input values so the gauge reads 8-11, which may be more accurate.

Anyway, is the fluctuation normal? I think the Commander samples too often and needs smoothing like a mechanical gauge.

If my pump were dead, I'd see a significant drop in pressure I assume.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Mad,

When I first put the Walbro on, about three years ago, I threw a cheapo 12v pump in the box and continue to carry it with me. Mine is set up to easily replace on the side of the road in minutes with a minimum of tools. I don't really want a fancy Air Dog or FASS because it's not rocket science with fuel delivery, just reliability and common sense air management. Also ease of getting replacement parts anywhere and installation alongside the road are very important. I drive a lot for work, in the winter, in the mountains, and at night with my wife. Simple, proven parts, work for me. Well, within reason. After all I am driving a CR instead of a 1st gen. Been there, done that.

This is the first I've heard of people starting to have failures with Walbros. And, also the first confirmed running with the pump failed. The first indicator for some of us may be at a fuel filter change when the system won't purge.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, when my first Walbro went out I knew exactly when it happend as I watch my pressure religously. I went to a movie and all was well. Came out and started truck and bam no low pressure. I was so ticked I drove home about 15 miles hammering it all the way. Never missed a beat. So it seems they will run without it, but as pointed out I wouldn't make it a habit.