3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rail Pressure Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Pressure Help

Hi there,

Well I am little concerned?

I have been running a FASS pump for about 3 months now, every now and then the pressure will jump to 18 psi normal is 16. No porblem I have figured until now. Well tonight I was watching the numbers at traffic lights. My big concern is the rail pressure flucuating the like crazy, seems normal but the numbers I saw have me puzzled. At idle at a light I saw numbers as low as anywhere from approx 3900 to 5400, same ilding on the highway. I have never seen the rail pressure hit the 3k mark. The fuel pressure was all over the place tonight, anywhere from 18 to 16 psi. It will also surge from time to time, very quick but you can see the needle move maybe 50 rpm.

Just wondering what normal numbers are for the rail pressure? My truck is a 2003, stock system. I have the commander ready to instal a chip. I really hope my injection pump is not gonna die on me. I usually run with alot of addtive in the tank, didn't have any on my last fill up, wondering if that may be causing something?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rail pressure at idle is right at 6000psi. Highway it's between 10 and 17,000psi depending on speed, load and grade.
Cheers
Mike
###
Originally Posted by ollie32
Hi there,

I have been running a FASS pump for about 3 months now, every now and then the pressure will jump to 18 psi normal is 16. No porblem I have figured until now. Well tonight I was watching the numbers at traffic lights. My big concern is the rail pressure flucuating the like crazy, seems normal but the numbers I saw have me puzzled. At idle at a light I saw numbers as low as anywhere from approx 3900 to 5400, same ilding on the highway. I have never seen the rail pressure hit the 3k mark. The fuel pressure was all over the place tonight, anywhere from 18 to 16 psi. It will also surge from time to time, very quick but you can see the needle move maybe 50 rpm.

Just wondering what normal numbers are for the rail pressure? My truck is a 2003, stock system. I have the commander ready to instal a chip. I really hope my injection pump is not gonna die on me. I usually run with alot of addtive in the tank, didn't have any on my last fill up, wondering if that may be causing something?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Rail pressure at idle is right at 6000psi. Highway it's between 10 and 17,000psi depending on speed, load and grade.
Cheers
Mike
###
Hi there,

Thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Banned

HiI have been running a FASS pump for about 3 months now, every now and then the pressure will jump to 18 psi normal is 16. . At idle at a light I saw numbers as low as anywhere from approx 3900 to 5400, same ilding on the highway. I have never seen the rail pressure hit the 3k mark. The fuel pressure was all over the place tonight, anywhere from 18 to 16 psi. It will also surge from time to time, very quick but you can see the needle move maybe 50 rpm.

Thanks

Surging only 50 RPM is nothing, and I am surprised you even feel such a low "surge" LP pressure is way fine, and those numbers are not "all over the place" A variation in 2 PSI is nothing to be concerned about, at all. My Walbro is 17-20PSI. Now, you IP pressure @ 3K is low, even at idle. Mine idels @ 5500PSI, and will jump around a few hundred PSI in either direction....down to 5000 PSI and up to 6000 PSI. You may have a problem with such low (3K) psi wth your IP. But first, I would check you fuel filter (is your LP FP gauge before or after your fuel filter?