3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question on how to pinion seal replacment

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on how to pinion seal replacment

OK, I have searched the threads and found various instructions on how to replace the seal. What I did not see is how the yoke is held in order to get the pinion nut loose? Is it left or right handed threads? Front AAM 9.25 axle.

I tried last night but all I seemed to be able to do was make the truck move back and forth. I had a 4' pipe on the wrench sticking out from under the truck. With the limited range of movement, I could only make the truck move. I'll admit it was getting late and I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Any suggestions? I am sure my air supply and impact aren't big enough for this job so it will have to be with hand tools. The only thing I can think of is to make a bar that bolts to the yoke and levers against something else like the ground or frame.

Last edited by knc77; 01-04-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine off with an impact, and the threads are standard.

Miller makes a tool like what you described but I just made one out of flat plate and angle iron.

I had my yoke off my d shaft for joints so I just used it as a template to drill my holes. Either way you are gona have to have something to hold it when you tq it back down so you may as well go ahead and make the tool you are talking about making anyway.

Make sure and get a new pinion nut too.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I'll build the brace bar tool then.

If I get a new nut, any suggestions on getting the proper pre-load on the crush sleeve without pulling both axles, getting a in/lb torque wrench, etc? I have read where others simply marked the nut, pulled it, the yoke, replaced the seal, then reinstalled everything tightening the nut back to the marks. I understand the threads can stretch but if the nut ends up in the same place the pre-load should be close. I also plan to use locktite on the nut.

I guess if I end up having to pull the axles, my passenger side bearing will get cleaned up and coated with anti seize. Drivers was done this past week for a u-joint in the axle.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

You could have someone sit in it and apply the brakes.