1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need to replace Getrag rear seal and spicer 70 pinion seal, HOW HARD????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace Getrag rear seal and spicer 70 pinion seal, HOW HARD????

I have a leak at the output of my getrag and since I'm running Royal Purple i dont want all that money dripping out on the road, so how difficult is it to swap seals?

My rear diff pinion seal is leaking too and I hate the way it slings oil everywhere. How difficult is it to change this seal?

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
I have a leak at the output of my getrag and since I'm running Royal Purple i dont want all that money dripping out on the road, so how difficult is it to swap seals?

My rear diff pinion seal is leaking too and I hate the way it slings oil everywhere. How difficult is it to change this seal?

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Not a hard job at all. 1hour tops. If your yoke shaft is beginning to wear, you'll need to add a sleeve. Otherwise you'll change out that seal and within 6 months or less it will begin to leak again. Use welders chalk to mark your yoke. You shouldn't loose more than a cup of oil. Check out this thread:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=147766
Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM

That thread does not say it, but you should really replace the nut. It is a stover style style lock nut and they don't grip as well after they are removed and reinstalled years later.

Andy
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM

A year after redoing my Dana, the pinion seal started leaking. It was a steady leak. I eventually discovered that the vent was plugged. I now check this whenever I service the truck. It is very important that the vent be clear as moisture accumulates in the gear oil and on the first long trip in the spring the vapour pressure will force gear oil out past all seals.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Tomlinson
A year after redoing my Dana, the pinion seal started leaking. It was a steady leak. I eventually discovered that the vent was plugged. I now check this whenever I service the truck. It is very important that the vent be clear as moisture accumulates in the gear oil and on the first long trip in the spring the vapour pressure will force gear oil out past all seals.
Now thats worth a look, my last first gen (89') I kept having the diff fluid turn milky, even though I never drove through water. I bet its vent line was blocked. I changed my diff fluid today and it was low and NASTY! I think when the pinion bearing went out they didnt clean it out good and just put it back together. Hopefully since its really clean now and got some RP in it any further damage will be put off.

Maybe I should check the getrag vent line too, it could be blocked also causing it to leak.