3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question about Dodge recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 AM
j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Dodge recall

I know there's a recall regarding steering on our trucks. I had my inspected and they said nothing wrong with it. Recently I've been hearing a metal clacking sound every once in awhile and can't locate it. It doesn't do it frequently enough to figure out where it's coming from, but yesterday I got under the front end and hit the tie rod with my hand and heard a sound similar. If I hit the tie rod with just my hand I hear the sound and it seems to be coming from the steering box or the turnbuckle thing for the tie rod adjustment. Is this somewhat normal? Also when I was under the truck I can actually move the transmission mount about 1/2 inch as I watch the bushing deflect, is there supposed to be movement that freely in the mount?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say what that specific noise is, but regardless of whether Dodge says you need parts or not, you do.

Get the '08 steering linkage upgrade and you'll be much better off. If you do a search on this you'll get lots of info. It involves the linkage, the pitman arm and the damper as three separate parts, not a kit, and it bolts right on to any earlier third gen. Also, the track bar bushings and the ball joints should be checked and/or replaced. But the steering linkage is a must in my book. It's much stronger than the stock setup.

While you are under there checking, hit the sway bar end links with your hand and see if they clack. They're a known noise maker.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM

I agree w/ everything Raspy said, and thought of one more thing for you to check J.

Put a wrench on the front shock mounts. Use a breaker bar, and really give them a good torque. If you type front end noise or clunk into the search bar you will find many have solved their clunk issues by tightening the front shock mounts.

Again, if this is not your issue pursue the steering linkage.

Scott
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the recall does not affect your truck UNLESS you purchased the upgraded steering over the counter.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
j

Yeah I was going to get under there and tighten everything up again just to make sure. I'll check into the steering upgrade. Is there a place other than dodge that sells it? pretty sure dodge will want my left arm or leg..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Most likely the front axel u-joints. If there is any play at all they will rattle. Time to change out. Pain in the *** unless you do like I did and take it to the shop. $200.00 per side.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Does it sound like you have a stone in your tire? If so mine is doing it as well,I drove around hanging out the window trying to hear it better.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM

when i got that recall they just took my vin number. to where as on my dads 03 thay crawled underneath and looked at it. so are they making easy money off me just by taking my vin. the recall sheet had my vin so why would they write it down. iasked are you going to look and he said no.