3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Possible coolant in oil and over filled truck with oil got some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible coolant in oil and over filled truck with oil got some ?s

Well I changed the oil in my truck for the first time since i baught it 1500 miles ago and I had a total brain fart and pored 16qts of oil in it instead of 12 I ended up driving it 100 miles max like this till i figured it out got home drained out 4qrts and the oil level seams to be at the top of the safe line. I say seams because every time i check the oil it varrys just a smig over or dead on im assuming this is do to not a perfectly flat surface.

So what if any damage might i have caused and what sighns should i look for to see if i did any damage?

My second ? is when i originaly drained my oil it came out like a title wave which i found kind of odd cause it flew out like it was water almost. The oil was hot at time of draining. After the truck was done draining i noticed what looked like something was in the oil kinda like when u see standing water in the street after it rains with the oil's mixed in with it. IT could be the sythentic oil left over residue in the drain bucket from the wifes car but I dont know.

Reason why im asking if my truck might be eating coolant is in 1500 miles the coolant resivoir has lost about 2-3 inches and i dont recall my last two trucks 05 and another 06 ever having that problem sure i got alittle that leaked out of the overflow tube manufacture problem but when i got the truck from the dealer the resivoir was never fully filled up and i just drive interstate so i know i was not bouncing around enough to realy slosh it out. The other reason i was wondering is the truck always red high on the oil dipstick but the dealer tech may have just added a bit more than 12 qrts. Would a oil analysis tell me if i had coolant or fuel in the engine oil?

sorry for the long post just trying to get all problems solved with truck b4 the warranty is up or dodge goes under.

thanks
-Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 PM

It's not good to run your engine over filled with oil. It will foam badly and your oil pump will cavatate starving your bearings for oil. I'm not sure if 1 gal over filled is enough to hurt. You should check your oil on level ground after the motor has been shut down for a few mins.
Billy
Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM

An oil analysis should tell you if you do, but I think you don't have much to worry about, when you drained the oil into that pan the slightest condensation or old residue would cause what you saw, as for draining fast you said the truck was warm and thats what caused that. Also your dipstick reading will be alittle off especially if its not on level ground or the amount of time bewteen pulling the stick from wiping of to the second check. As for your truck going through coolant you have a slight leak in one of the hose maybe check the hose at the back of the block that goes to the heater core have had problems with the clamps coming loose.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Ill have to check that hose at the back of the heater core. The 4-5 times i have checked the oil after my screw up the truck has sat for at least 5-8 hours plenty of time to drain in the pan but i guess my street has a little crown in it to help water to funnel to the gutters.

So cavataion of oil pump and bearing problems hmmmmm i hope i did not cause any excessive bearing damage.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 PM

If you only ran for a 100 miles or so, you should be alright.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will notice if the oil and coolant mix they will be seperated i know it happened on a car of mine however i dont think you did any damage a gallon over isnt to bad. my fill level on my truck for the coolant is a little low as well but right where it should be you maybe filled it up to the line when it was cold you are suppose to do it when its warm. also it is getting warmer out so maybe it just blasted out from to much pressure. i would just keep an eye on both the oil and coolant but i think you are fine.