3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

possible causes for white smoke on first morning start up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible causes for white smoke on first morning start up?

A few weeks ago my truck would sometimes start kind of rough and blow some white smoke after sitting overnight, and this is summertime!

So I'm currently on my 2nd tank of fuel in which I've added some Power Service Diesel Kleen.

Now it doesn't shake anymore but it's blowing even more white smoke. About 3-4 seconds worth after sitting for more than 8 hours.

Could this be caused by bad fuel? Failing injectors? Bad fuel filter? Could the Diesel Kleen additive have caused more white smoke possibly by loosening up some crud?

Does anyone know what's most likely the cause?

Is this even a matter to worry about?

My 7 year warrantee is about to expire soon and I'd like to use it to fix this problem, if it is fact a problem.

Thanks a lot for any help.

DT.

It's a 2004.5 with only 47000 miles on it. I don't really work it hard. Just haul some stuff on occasion.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:35 AM

Sounds like an injector leaking down. Try changing the oil filter and add about 10 -12 ozs 2 stroke. Mine does this on occassion, and this seems to fix my issue. I chalk it up to crappy fuel and the need for a better filter.

You can take it to the dealer, but all they will do is a flash and tell you it's fine. If your lucky, they will acknowledge it's an injecotr leaking down and replace - none of the dealers in my area would.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info.

what's stroke? And where do I add it?

I was thinking this problem may be more pronounced in the hot weather because if the fuel gets thicker in the cold weather it probably gets thinner in the hot weather. Maybe thinner fuel leaks easier.

I have till next summer on the warrantee and believe me if it needs replacing I'll sleep down there till they do it.

Thanks again!

DT.

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
Sounds like an injector leaking down. Try changing the oil filter and add about 10 -12 ozs 2 stroke. Mine does this on occassion, and this seems to fix my issue. I chalk it up to crappy fuel and the need for a better filter.

You can take it to the dealer, but all they will do is a flash and tell you it's fine. If your lucky, they will acknowledge it's an injecotr leaking down and replace - none of the dealers in my area would.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:58 AM

I believe he is talking about 2 stroke engine oil, add it when you change your truck's oil... My truck was doing the same, white on start up, when it was warm it went away, it continued to get worse. I put a number 2 injector in it yesterday morning... Good luck!!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM

1st thing I'd check is the smell. If the exhaust smoke is sweet, it's coolant issue; head gasket or injector cup (do these engines have them?).

If it's fuel you're smelling, it's injector related.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM

If it only spews some white smoke after sitting for several hours, it sounds like an injector leaking down. Fuel is leaking into the cyl, and burning off on startup. Do a search on white smoke and read for a while.

Yes, I was talking 2stroke oil, add it to your fuel tank.

I doubt it has anything to do with antifreeze or it would do it all the time.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahhh nothing like the smell of diesel and white smoke in the morning on a hot summer day! like ^^ they said if its white and smells like raw fuel its likely an injector(s) leaking down after sitting for a while. you can try 2 stroke oil or diesel kleen but its been my experience that they are a temp solution. if an injector sticks open while running bad things will happen. i've had 4 done under warranty for the same thing and i would recommend changing out your fuel filter, make sure you have a good tank of fresh fuel from a truck stop, and if its still doing it take it to a dealer soon. Let the dealer keep it overnight to reproduce the problem and monitor it on start up.