3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pinion Bearing replacement in 2006 $$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the brgs in my D80 in my 97 about 12 yrs ago. $65 for all brgs and cups. Wish I would have bought a shim kit. The pinion needed a little change and I hunted around for shim stock (on a weekend) for a couple of hours. There's no gaurantee it won't need reshimmed, just replacing brgs. BTW, mine had around 80k when I did that and it was perfectly quiet and ran cooler when I was finished. Watch the temp and for metal on the magnet. Craig
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mutt68
UPDATE.....

Ok....So the pinion bearings and the carrier bearings have been replaced. The Tech installed everything 3 times to get the gear pattern acceptable. There is a slight gear whine now ....most audible at highway speeds on both acceleration and deceleration....almost the same pitch noise. The Tech said that the ring and pinion would need to be replaced to make the whine go away. My concern is....is this whine caused by the rear not being set up right or is it because the R & P have 112K miles on them and have been disassembled and reassembled. If the whine is just an annoying noise I can deal with it but if it because something in not right...then i want it fixed. Hoping to get some rear end mechanics to weigh in here...please.
There should be no gear whine when assembled properly. Used gearsets do not whine because they are used. They whine because they are not set up properly.
Put a big trailer on the truck and torque the Cummins up and listen to that noise, it will probably scare you. They are correct on one point, you will need a new gearset soon. I would say take it back and make them fix it, but they already have you on the hook for needing a new gearset.... Cut your losses and take it to a different shop for a complete overhaul.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It's nice to hear the guy actually checked the pattern and took it back apart for adjustment, instead of just slapping it together with new bearings and calling it good. It's easier to justify all the labour that way. But it sure shouldn't be noisy if that was done.
If the pinion bearings were worn badly enough that the pinion had end play, it must have worn the gearset badly enough that getting a good pattern was impossible.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
It's nice to hear the guy actually checked the pattern and took it back apart for adjustment, instead of just slapping it together with new bearings and calling it good. It's easier to justify all the labour that way. But it sure shouldn't be noisy if that was done.
If the pinion bearings were worn badly enough that the pinion had end play, it must have worn the gearset badly enough that getting a good pattern was impossible.
This was basically his response. That I drove on the bad bearings to long and the gear set is going to whine no matter what we do unless replace it.

So my next questions is....can I drive it like this until I squirrel away enough money to have it fixed by a Driveline shop? The dealer says the only fix is a new R&P.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM

You need to see if you it is shedding metal. Pull the fill plug and see if the oil has a metallic shine to it. I have seen gear sets that whined for years but never shed any metal. If it is not shedding metal I would drive it and not worry, just keep an eye on it. Was is whining when you took it in?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 AM

It is hard to get a normal contact pattern on a used gear set. I like to check the back lash and the pinion preload before I tear an axle down. The best thing you can do is to run a contact pattern before you tear it down, I like to take a picture of it so I can compare the new and the old. But if you pinion bearings were shot when it got to him he had to start from scratch. Oh and never run just one contact pattern, do three or four about 90 degrees apart. I had a 14 bolt that the carrier bearing had spun and screwed up the adjuster. After tearing it down three times I found it.