3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New 2004.5 is GREAT!! Which 4" free flow muffler is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up New 2004.5 is GREAT!! Which 4" free flow muffler is best?

I picked up the new 2004.5 April 2nd with my family and it is GREAT!!

The first thing that came to mind was other people saying these trucks feel "tight" when you drive them. SO TRUE! There's no creaking, squeeking, creeking, bending or anything! The doors close with a solid thunk. You can really feel the "tight" sensation when crossing a railroad. It just makes it feel so quality.

I guess I got lucky with MPG. Maybe it's the combination of 2WD and 6 speed tranny though. We put about 100 highway miles on it going home from the dealer going 55 to 65 mph (we're trying to baby it right now). The overhead readout stopped going up at 16.7 mpg and stayed there. I don't know exactly when my dealer filled the tank in relation to the miles but hand calculated it came out somewhere between 16 and 19 mpg! Wait, it gets better. Today, we took a trip (all highway) and added about 200 more miles. The overhead stopped going up at 19.1 and stayed there. I havn't hand calculated this yet. Speed stayed between 55 to 70 mph with a light foot, except when the Ford F150 tried to cut us off and then the truck just zipped up to 80 in half a second and the Ford couldn't keep up. (My perception of the acceleration might be skewed because my only diesel experience so far is the 2001 GMC Savana in my signature.)

I can't get over the sound of the motor and exhaust! Under medium acceleration just before and around 2000 rpm it sounds exactly, and I mean exactly, like an eighteen wheeler! I keep looking back to see where the Kenworth is but I never see it. I love the deep smooth sound!

I'm trying to follow a break in plan that the "powermaster" (powermaster@cummins.com) emailed me after I sent them an email asking about proper break in proceedure. I can post it if anyone wants to see it.

The transmission feels new and it's hard to shift smoothly but it is already feeling a lot better after just 300 miles.

Overall the truck is excellent! Top notch. Like others have also experienced, I am also suffering from the uncontrolable smile that occurs when the vehicle is driven. The only un excellent thing I've noticed is the spare tire. It has a totally different wheel than the other four and has no plastic crome cover. What are you supposed to do when rotating the tires? Just leave it out? I guess that's what you're supposed to do but whats the point in having that good Michelin tire up there doing nothing?

Now to adress the second par of the subject. I am lucky enough to live where they don't check your exhaust system with a mirror and fine you for taking off the cat.
Therefore, the first bomb, coming soon, will be taking off the cat and stock muffler and puting on an after market 4" free flow muffler. Which one is the best? I have read good stuff about more than one brand so I can't make a decision based on that. I would like stainless steel. If it comes down to muffling and free flow, I'll sacrifice noise reduction for free flow. Thanks for the recomendations! Good luck if you're having trouble with fuel economy. There still might be hope!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:58 AM

too long?

Don't bother reading my long discussion of the new truck...just a lot of blah blah blah.

The important part is about a new muffler. If anyone has a recomendation for a good straight thru 4" that would be great. Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very happy with my Magnaflow!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 AM

I just noticed you are from Reno, go down to Mr.Z's and ask for Dillon. He will know what muff to set you up with. Mr.Z's is on Glendale down by Cashman the Cat dealer.

If you want to hear my truck I can meet with you.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:08 PM

Highten....I would be interested in seeing that breakin procedure. Either post or pm it to me. Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 12:32 PM

Me too I would like to see the break in procedure. I am still waitin for the truck
Old 04-05-2004, 12:48 PM

Break In Proceedure

I'll post the break in proceedure Cummins sent me on this thread later today. Right now I'm not on my own computer so I don't have access to it.

Thanks RankRam for the recomendation. I'll look into Mr. Z's. Thanks for the offer to listen to your truck too! Don't think I will though, I'm just too darn busy these days with college and stuff!
Old 04-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Thumbs up Here it is!

Summary: Ram engine break-in

Solution:
Thanks for your Email message.

Here is what we have shared with others about engine break-in:

What is the recommended break-in procedure for my new Cummins engine?

Cummins does not publish a specific time or mileage threshold that provides when an engine is considered to be broken-in since our engines are used in such a variety of applications and purposes. Here are some general guidelines to consider when breaking-in your new engine:

INTIAL BREAK-IN PERIOD = 1000 miles or less. During this period, the piston rings may not have had a chance to seat yet, which allows cylinder pressure to pass by the rings into the crankcase, causing blowby. After the initial break-in period, the engine will need to be worked to create high enough cylinder temperature to seal the piston rings, which helps prevent blowby.

Vary the engine speed so the entire vehicle, as well as the engine, becomes accustomed to varying speeds, loads, rpm, etc..

For on-highway, automotive applications, operate the engine at 1500 to 1800 rpm in high gear for the first 80 to 160 kilometers (50 to 100 miles). However, DO NOT idle the engine for more than five (5) minutes at any one time during the first 160 kilometers (100 miles).

For off-highway, non-automotive applications, operate the engine at 75% throttle while loaded during the first three (3) hours. Again, DO NOT idle the engine for more than five (5) minutes at any one time. Also, DO NOT operate the engine at rated speed (rpm) and full load for more than five (5) minutes at any one time.

MID BREAK-IN PERIOD. After the first 1000 miles, the engine is ready to be worked, which will help seat the piston rings to avoid blowby and avoid carbon buildup to avoid fuel slobber because of light load operation. If possible, drive in hilly or mountainous areas OR load the truck with 700 - 800 lbs OR pull an empty trailer (tandem car-hauler type)*.

*NOTE: If you use a small single axle trailer, some load on the trailer is recommended.

Certainly everything with a new truck will 'loosen up' after 40 or 50k miles, including the engine, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. etc. We doubt that the engine torque or power will increase much, however. With light loading, the engine can take as high as 30,000 miles to be considered 'broken in'.

When the bearings, brakes, engine, etc. do 'wear in', the truck may seem to perform better, just because you will have less resistance from all these new components. The amount of fuel consumed by the engine may improve slightly after the break-in period, however, there are many other variables involved with the vehicle chassis that will affect MPG, more than the engine.

We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. Please let us know if you need assistance in locating the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider. For assistance in locating a Service Provider, feel free to use Cummins North America Dealer Locator, which can be found on Cummins website:
http://www.cummins.com/service_locator/index.cfm

This site can be found on the "Service Locator" link, at Cummins North America website:
http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/index.cfm

For service locations and Cummins Regional Offices, outside North America, you may select the region of the world in which you have an interest, by using the following Cummins website and click on the "view distributor network" button:
<http://www.cummins.com/index.cfm?changecountry=true>

Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) at 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357). Customers may also call Cummins switchboard 1-812-377-5000 (worldwide toll call) and ask for the 800-DIESELS Call Center for assistance.

Cummins Email (via webpage): <http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/c...ance/index.cfm>

Email direct: powermaster@cummins.com

Regards,
--
Powermaster
Customer Assistance Center
Cummins, Inc.
Columbus, Indiana, USA

Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

Cummins, Inc. is not responsible for any improper use of the information supplied with this email.

Personally, I'm trying to follow this plan and it seems to be working. If the computer is right, my milage has been quite good for a 600.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:46 PM

Re: too long?

Originally posted by HighTen
Don't bother reading my long discussion of the new truck...just a lot of blah blah blah.

The important part is about a new muffler. If anyone has a recomendation for a good straight thru 4" that would be great. Thanks
What do you mean HighTen?

I enjoyed reading your first post!

It means I can be even more psyched about getting my own CTD next Fall!!!

Sounds great!

Now I just hope I can wait that long!

DT.