3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

manual says lube front drive shaft fitting but NO Zerks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't look anything like a normal zerk. and it's not for greasing the u-joints. It greases the centering ball in between the u-joints of the CV joint. They all have them, most people just don't have a clue what to look for. The exact same setup has been used on front shafts of just about every 4X4 built in the last 40 years or so. Look close enough and you'll find it. I've shown mechanics that swear up and down it isn't there. Oh, and even if you totally and completely neglect it, the centering ball it greases is replaceable. Don't let anyone ever tell you the whole driveshaft needs replaced. Hogwash!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DZLROKET
Well The mechanic and I went over the U joint with a magnafying glass and there IS no fitting of any kind!!! It must vary from truck to truck even in the same year same model....
It is not on the ujoint, it is on the center section of the CV joint. There are no aftermakets zerks for it as it is in a low clearance area. Look at the pictures posted and scrub the area down well with a brush and it will show its shiny little self.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
It is not on the ujoint, it is on the center section of the CV joint. There are no aftermakets zerks for it as it is in a low clearance area. Look at the pictures posted and scrub the area down well with a brush and it will show its shiny little self.
Isn't it amazing that even dealership mechanics can't find this? I mean really, it's been commonplace for well over 40 years. Unbelievable! How can a mechanic get a journeyman ticket without ever having encountered one? Bizarre! I mean that same fitting has been on every 4x4 I've owned in in my whole life..............probably 60 of them.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Well I guess I'll jack up one wheel and spin it till I find it... I guess the tcase has to be in Neutral???

I'll make sure to shoot a dab of orange paint on that area. Dodge should have done that to begin with!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Well I guess I'll jack up one wheel and spin it till I find it... I guess the tcase has to be in Neutral???

I'll make sure to shoot a dab of orange paint on that area. Dodge should have done that to begin with!
No, 2wd is fine, but yes, you jack up one wheel. The fitting is hard to see, especially once the joint is dirty and they usually are. Look to the center of the CV joint, on the driveshaft side, past the first u-joint. But its flush with the surface, just looks like a little ball pressed in, like the end of a zerk fitting, but tht's all you see is the end. You need a needle fitting the grease gun to get to it. you may want to take a toothbrush and some solvent to clean the area so you can find it.

Don't blame Dodge, almost all 4x4's have that fitting, and none have it marked or anything. They could picture it better in the owners' manual though. Even a lot of the "tech"s working in the dealerships can't find it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stickler
Isn't it amazing that even dealership mechanics can't find this? I mean really, it's been commonplace for well over 40 years. Unbelievable! How can a mechanic get a journeyman ticket without ever having encountered one? Bizarre! I mean that same fitting has been on every 4x4 I've owned in in my whole life..............probably 60 of them.
Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and walk away.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM

I found mine, but I dont know if any of the grease got in there... how can i tell? (besides dissembling it....)

I know thats tons of it got beside it and will make a mess the next time I drive...!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by banana
I found mine, but I dont know if any of the grease got in there... how can i tell? (besides dissembling it....)

I know thats tons of it got beside it and will make a mess the next time I drive...!
Since I've "been there, done that", about the only way to be sure grease is getting in there is to first throw away that so called needle fitting you apparently have, then go out a buy the one that looks like a true needle (the hypodermic type), stick it inside the tiny round hole, and squirt to your hearts content. Guaranteed it will work.

Somebody has already posted on the site the exact needle to get. I went out to look at mine, but don't have the box it came in anymore.