3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front Drive Shaft Lube Access

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Drive Shaft Lube Access

According to my owner's manual, the front drive shaft of my 2005 1-Ton 4x4 CTD requires lubrication. The fitting requires a needle type lube gun extension and is supposed to be at the rear of the front drive shaft. I have rotated the shaft and looked everywhere in the area of the u-joint coupling but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Smile

Take a drope light facing rear of the shaft turn slow looks like a littel cup.Its there take your time you will see it.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Check out my photo gallery. I have a picture of the lube point and the grease gun adaptor that you will need.

Good luck The first time is a real Blank Blank.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM

just got back from the dealer and they said there is no front drive shaft lube fitting . I think you're full 'o ****.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
rdc
Banned

who is full of **** ? I would guess you are talking about your dealer. Donut has the pics right there in his gallery.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 AM

I agree!! The grease zerk on the cardan joint is not easy to see, and does not have the typical nipple for grease that most joints do, such as your tie rod ends. You need a special needle adapter to fit into the recess of the cardand joint and then proceed with lithium grease.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM

Talking

My dealer didn't know what I was talking about either. They gave me a funny look and then covered it by saying, "The diesel tech is at lunch. I'll talk to him when he gets back."

Anyhow, I spent an hour (more but I will not admit to it in public) looking for that lube point. Then, after finding it, I had to go to NAPA to get the adaptor for my grease gun. Then, I had to find it again. Then (now here is the hard part), I had to get grease to go into the fitting. It requires, from my experience, about twenty paper towels and keeping the kids away so they don't hear any new words. When I was all done, I took those pictures to prove to the world that I found it and lubed it. It is not climbing Mt. Everest, but I am a simple guy.

Also, some guys are reporting that there is paint over the fitting on new trucks. Mine did not have any paint on it, but others have said that there was blue paint on the fitting.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks guys. I have the adapter and will try again. Donut, thanks for the pics.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Is that the ONLY lube point under there? Seems like there would be one on the joint behind the one in the picture too? I just want to be sure I lube all that is lube-able (is that a word??)
Old 07-11-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like the same grease fitting on air tools.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:20 PM

I have been assured that is the lube point refered to in the service manual. When it says "Lube front drive shaft" that is the lube point they are talking about.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nibroc
just got back from the dealer and they said there is no front drive shaft lube fitting . I think you're full 'o ****.
You are correct that the dearler is full of it. I had the same problem at mine. Even the dumb @55 mickanick with the monkey wrench who was doing it's 90 check up ( I don't want to call him a Mechanic) did not know about it and told me I was wrong. He looked with his flashlight and could not see it, that is until I pointed out the sticker on the truck to the lube guy who then told the mickanick guy it was in deed there and where it was. I'm sure glad I know more about it then the dealership people.

I asked the lube guy (found out he had only been their 6 months) why he did not know that this grease fitting is on all 2005 & 2006 4x4's and he said no one told him about it. I wonder how many have had to be replaced under warranty due to the lube person not knowing about it!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:13 PM

Well it took me a while, but I found it and lubed the crap out of it! Now I oughta hang out by the local Dodge dealer and charge 25 bucks to the guys who thought they got theirs lubed but really didnt! heh heh
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nibroc

Before proving your ignorance try listening. While not easy to find the lube point does exist. There's also a sticker under the hood indicating the general area of the lube point. It's comments like yours that make this board and others unfun.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wcjp
Before proving your ignorance try listening. While not easy to find the lube point does exist. There's also a sticker under the hood indicating the general area of the lube point. It's comments like yours that make this board and others unfun.
I took the comment as an attempt at a joke, meaning the dealer "could never be wrong."

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Lube Access