3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

lift pump warranty DENIED

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope its by the year or mileage which ever you hit first, kills guys like me always enough time never enough miles
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding of the 7-year/100 K engine/emissions/fuel system warranty is that for the first 5 years whatever is fixed at NO COST to you. In the last 2 years you have a deductable, I believe it is $100.

They base the 7-year on the national average of 15K miles driven per year, which if that were the actualy mileage YOU put on your truck, it would be close to 100K total mileage. That calculation estimate takes you to 95K, but then you'd also have the +/- factor which would be more specific to your mileage. So, if you were like me, at 7 years you'd only have right around 70K (if that) mileage on your truck when your warranty was finished. I suppose you could argue the point, but with what we are seeing in the general attitude of the company at this point in time . . you'd probably be left out in the cold and be your own warranty station.

I had a friend who has 42K on his truck break down with the lift pump dying on his 2006. This was a couple months ago, he was on the road moving a couple of his horses to his new home. He found a close dealership, got towed, and was told that the lift pump was on national backorder, but they'd try to track one down for him at a dealership. 3 days went by, still no pump, so he called Air Dog and had a pump shipped to him. He installed it himself and went down the road. A couple weeks ago, he had an injector go bad, took his truck to his local dealer, and they informed him that since he modded the fuel system, his injector would be at his expense, no warranty coverage whatsoever. So, they cannot supply a part that IS warrantied during the warranty period, if you take steps to keep your truck on the road with an aftermarket part, they will seek to void your existing warranty - tell me how that works???? Sure didn't work for my buddy did it??

He just re-connected the old, bad pump line and electrical, disconnected the Air Dog, but left it in place. And then said to them, now it's back to stock, what say you now??? They chewed on it for a day, replaced his in-tank pump and also a complete set of injectors as they all were having problems. AND it was totally covered under warranty. I guess we can have an emergency system, but when we take it in, the old stuff better be what's hooked up.

Now, he's thinking of putting in a switch so he can go back and forth between the two fuel pumps.

CD
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
7 x 15 is 105....

The dealership cannot void a warranty for a replacement pump unless that pump has been proven to cause the failure.

It's federal law. If your buddy accepts that answer, too bad. We're dealing with people, most of the time they have their agenda and we have ours. If they tell you it's not covered and you pay to have the truck fixed they are happy as clams. The service manager probably doesn't care, it's not his money, he has other things to worry about, you are one of a thousand customers.

If your friend shows them the Magnuson-Moss act and tells them they will hear from his attorney they will probably follow the law. Now you aren't just another sheep being pushed through the service bay. Now you are a person demanding attention. You are a potential problem. You need to be addressed immediately.

The law says:

Tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. These kinds of provisions would require a buyer of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product if they want to be eligible to receive a solution to a problem under the warranty. The following is an example of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Proctor Silex Coffee Maker warranty in effect, you must use genuine Proctor Filters. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Company, will void this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty also doesn’t have to cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your Pioneer Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that buyers use only authorized Pioneer dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repairs will void this warranty.

So as long as your friend used a pump made for this application, and it did not cause the failure, the warranty is claimable.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:58 AM

My bad about the 95K, I meant to say 105 but was actually thinking about MY total mileage in about 7 years.

I fully agree with what you have had to say Lost Lake. So does my friend. It is just the PITA that goes with dealing with their mentality vrs the way it should be.

I would have also blown a gasket at them when they could not meet my warranty expectation with having a part as important as a fuel pump on national backorder. But like my friend, what do you do then?? He chose to just get a pump and go down the road, never expecting it to become the secondary problem it did when it came to the injector issues. Who knows, maybe as the old pump was dying and maybe putting out less and less, it could have been what underlied the injector failure???

I do however like his idea about installing a switch to turn the factory pump on/off, same with the AD, and then a switched valve for the fuel lines. Have to look into that idea some.

CD
Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

I received Call from Dodge today THEY WILL PAY CLAIM. This after i resubmitted a new letter and documentation for the claim. slightly different from first letter, Go figure and the same guy that denied me called and said checks in the mail. Go figure I contacted lawyer last night for details of suing them for breech of contract deceptive trade practices. I guess i read it enough here YOU have to threaten legal action to get them to do something that was clearly spelled out for them.. oh yea no more dodge vehicles for me. clearly too much BS to deal with.....
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yea no more dodge vehicles for me. clearly too much BS to deal with.."

If you think the same thing can't or will not happen to you at Government Motors or Ford you kidding your self.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 PM

DBLR, Thats okay , i would never buy any Big 3 autos again, They are not near what the others are, and who do we blame... themselves so they can all go to _____.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is all normal. It is always a fuss to get a LP warrantied for the 03-04.5 trucks. The problem is the dealers filling the paperwork don't know how to code it properly, so it get's kicked back. If you want a diesel 2500 to 3500 truck and need it like me, you don't have a choice but to deal with them. Cars, I am all Nissan.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Warranty starts AFTER the truck was built. So if it was built on 09-22-2003, the engine warranty expired on 09-22-2008. Can call and ask any dealer, and they will tell you the same thing. BTW, lift pump re-locate is only covered under the truck warranty, NOT THE ENGINE warranty.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Warranty starts AFTER the truck was built. So if it was built on 09-22-2003, the engine warranty expired on 09-22-2008. Can call and ask any dealer, and they will tell you the same thing.
And the owners manual says the Cummins Warranty starts after the Truck Warranty runs out.

It has been like that since they started, so if it was a misprint, it has survived for decades.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The warranty starts on the in service date. That date is the day it was purchased by the first customer. The LP warranty is covered by the engine warranty on the 03 to 04.5 trucks. That warranty is 7 years/100,000 miles. In year 6 and 7 there is a $100 dollar deductible.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 AM

sLICE,

sO WHAT WAS IN YOUR DODGE LETTER.... mY TRUCK IS AT THE DEALER NOW WITH A BAD LIFT PUMP 2004.5 62,000 MILES AND THEY LET ME KNOW IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY " i AM tHE FIRST OWNER" What is it that I need to piont out to the service manager or is this just hafta be drawn out thru dodge? Could you post what was in your last dodge letter in case I am heading that way for reambursment? Please
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Interesting to read of all the problems getting LP's warrantied. My LP went out at about 22k miles in my Dodge. I called up the 1-800 roadside assitance number that came with my warranty paperwork, they sent someone over in about 20 minutes, and it got towed to the nearest dealership (35 miles away, but also where I bought my truck) I put the keys in the night drop, as it was after hours. Got a call at 4pm the next day that my new in tank lift pump was installed and they were washing AND waxing my truck, and it would be ready by 5pm. I now have just over 60k miles on the truck, and haven't had a single problem with it since... Knock on wood. Sorry to hear so many guys are having rough times getting warranty work done. I guess it REALLY is all about the dealership you choose.
Scott
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Cool

Ya..... My dealer that I bought the truck from is no longer a dodge dealer.... They had been always ahead of the game in taking care of any "very few" problems I had with the two trucks i bought from them. When this happened to me this week I realized that the other two closest Dodge dealers had also closed. And My truck was towed to a dealer much farther away that I have only had this expierience with so far....

Now I have called the customer service line and anither "much farther away Dodge dealer" And both seem to think it should be covered but they Customer service told me not to pick it up yet because now they have opened a case on it and they will contact me within 24 hours one way or the other.... Also said if I did pick it up and pay for it that the reembursment procees is much longer so I am opting to wait for tth 24 hours and see what happens........
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
stay on them. have experience with this so don't relax and think that they are going to handle it. Call them first thing in the morning.

Quick Reply: lift pump warranty DENIED