3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Goin Blue maybe

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goin Blue maybe

Have anyone here seen those new 2008 superduty's with twin turbo? I might just have to just the bandwagon to the other side. Those new trucks are awesome, all the way around. I wish dodge could do something like that!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM

Good luck with that. My question is why does Ford think they can run a truck with twins when their single turbos couldn't hold together.

Due to all of the new emisssions stuff these 'new' trucks aren't any more powerful than our older trucks - where it matters - at the wheels.

I wouldn't buy another Ford for a long while (I had a 97 7.3 PSD - decent truck) because:

1) The horror stories from the 6.0 liter trucks
2) The newness of the 6.4 liter motors
3) It worries me when one of the first training modules the Ford techs have to pass to be certified on the new trucks is how to remove the cab in order to work on anything major on the engine. I like the thought that if I had to do something major I could at least have a chance of reaching it / working on it without having to remove the darn cab.

Go over to thedieselstop.com - I think there are a couple of guys over there with the new 6.4's already.

If you do decide to buy one - good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:16 PM

There is nothing like having the latest and greatest. But I don't think the '07s are going to last any longer than my '03. They are more complicated and harder to work on. Do you really want two turbos? Don't think that a new truck is the end of all problems. Anything that could go wrong on my truck is cheeper than a new one. A budddy is buying a new King Ranch, $50K. I have other toys to put money into.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM

I suggest you take a long test drive before you get your hopes up. I had one in my hands for 2 hours and took it back because it didn't take that long to decide it sucks. Shame because other than the engine and tranny...the truck is fantastic. Drive one for a while..see what you think. I mean, turbo lag is one thing...but that is rediculous.

Bill
Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tmgxray
Have anyone here seen those new 2008 superduty's with twin turbo? I might just have to just the bandwagon to the other side. Those new trucks are awesome, all the way around. I wish dodge could do something like that!
Let me give you a bit of advice.....I owned, actually still own a 6.0 because no one wants to buy one that's used and it appears that I'm stuck with it.

The 6.4 is a bored out 6.0 with MORE electronics on it than the 6.0. You might want to give it a couple of years to make sure ferd doesn't put another terd on the market again.

If you decide to buy one and it has the same track record as the 6.0 don't say you weren't warned.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:31 PM

A guy I work with just purchased his first Dodge. Before he drove Fords.
He can give you a list as long as his arm that Ford does better than Dodge.
Feul economy was his main reason to buy the Dodge.
I tell him I bought a Cummins, the dodge just came with it
Old 02-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Im not sure if Id want the new Ford...yet...My family and I have always been Ford and Ford only...until I bought my Dodge (couldnt beat the price)...Im not saying anything bad about Fords...just the fact that alot of things have changed since it's a 6.4 and I personally would rather have other people find the little "glitches" here and there...and not put myself through it! But hey, your life, your money, your choice!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM

You could go buy your own set of aftermarket twins for your dodge and save yourself some potential headaches and lots of cash, those new fords aren't cheap.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by billindenver
I suggest you take a long test drive before you get your hopes up. I had one in my hands for 2 hours and took it back because it didn't take that long to decide it sucks. Shame because other than the engine and tranny...the truck is fantastic. Drive one for a while..see what you think. I mean, turbo lag is one thing...but that is rediculous.

Bill
Are you sure you drove a 08 superduty, because I did this past weekend and it has almost no turbo lag it will spin the tires from a dead stop lo=ike a gas motor. But I would not buy one until FORD can prove they know how to put a diesel motor in a truck that works.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

C-yaaaaaaaaaaa

on the side of the road!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM
j

i own a ford f350 right now. it has been a good truck and i have had no major problems with it. i'm selling it only because i dont trust it. i figure i've been lucky so far, but i'm not willing to push my luck any farther and will be coming back to dodge. you either get a good one or you get a bad one. if you get a bad one it will always be bad. if you get a good one, you just have to wait a little longer til it breaks. that is almost a direct quote from the district service manager from ford here in california. i came back from the coast today and saw two fords broke on the side of the road, both towing. like i said, i have been lucky, but out of the 6 friends at work that had 2003-2005 fords, 3 of them have had to lemon law theirs, another sold his, and me and one other guy have had no problems. pretty sad track record.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I bought a Cummins, the dodge just came with it
THAT'S EXACTLY WHY BOUGHT MINE!! I spent alot of years sitting behind the CTD in a KW. It's just rock solid.