3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Go Ahead and Laugh now

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Ahead and Laugh now

I feel really dumb askin this, but where is the IAT/MAP sensor on my '03? Like I said laugh, but please answer too
Old 01-18-2006, 02:12 PM

The IAT is at the elbow going from the airbox to the turbo.

The MAP sensor is in the intake manifold (blue weatherseal), in the area of the 3-4 cyl injector plug.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 PM

thanks, I and I should be cleaning these from time to time to maintain performance and milage? Never cleaned in 71K miles
Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 PM

I wont laugh because i had no idea either. Thy can laugh at both of us.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope somebody chimes in cause I have never heard of cleaning a MAP sensor but I dont want to seem ignint for sayin you shouldnt.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 PM

There is nothing to clean if your air filter is doing its job.

And if its "that dirty" that you need to clean them, it gonna be all over with for the engine at that point.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nobody will laugh, thats what this forum is for... To learn stuff we don't know
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM

well again thank you all, I change my filter pretty regulary due to livin on a dirt drive off a dirt rd, just thought I would ask
Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I read somewhere that on 2nd gens, if you idle with an exhaust brake turned on, soot and carbon will end up in the intake manifold during valve overlap, and that the MAP sensor would not read right if you didn't clean it.

Supposidly the sensor is located differently on the 3rd gen so as not to have that issue...
Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM

When I worked for GM (why do you think I drive a Dodge? ), we used to clean MAF sensors all the time with Forte intake cleaner (spray). The sensor wires would coke up and give incorrect readings. A quick spray to clean them up and multiple drivability concerns could be repaired. May help on the diesels as well, especially with an oil coated air filter, the oil vapours? will travel down the intake tube and coat the sensors. Just my .02.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Only thing is that these truck do not have MAF sensors, so we don't have wires to clean.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Tweeter brought up an interesting point, is there a sensor in the intake that an oil coated air filter might affect over time?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

actually, there is no dumb question if you need an answer. i have the mentioned ebrake, and it does not seem to get anything dirty. even at idle, the turbo is still flowing some air. take off your inlet pipe to the compressor, start the truck and let it idle, the shaft is spinning, turn on the ebrake, nothing changes. just the sound.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, when all else fails, look in the book.

The 3rd gens use a combo Intake Air Temp and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. It is secured to the top of the intake manifold with two T-15 screws.

I figured that discussing whether or not it gets dirty is kind of like talking about how many teeth a horse has... to really know the answer eventually you need to go up to a horse and count.

I pulled mine off, and it is absolutely clean. It won't even make the slightest mark on a white cloth.

I use my Jake at idle for warm-up all the time, so I think that is a non-issue.

As far as over-oiling a cloth air filter, I read a tech memo somewhere about over-oiled gauze filters fouling the intake air pressure and temp sensors on a gas car. With the incorrect readings the motor would run rich, and ruin the converter, all of which would not be covered under warranty.

With a diesel, though, the filter oil would have to make it's way through the turbo and intercooler to get to this sensor, so I think it would be unlikely.

There is a second combo sensor on the air box, though, that the book describes as a barometric pressure/ambient air temp combination, that I suppose could get fouled by over oiling a filter? Anyway, if I ran a gauze filter I think I'd just be sure to properly oil it, and let the carrier dry off before installing it.

Anyhow, I took a photo of the intake sensor, which I will upload and post here when it's approved...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
our IAT sensor is nothing like a MAF sensor...it does not seem to care about air filter oil like the Gasser MAF Sensors...MAF sensors measure the amount of air that goes by them the IAT sensors on our truck reads the incoming air temp and the barometric pressure and that it...

Quick Reply: Go Ahead and Laugh now