3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel line question with picture

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel line question with picture

Hi Folks,

While looking through the drivers side front wheel well on my '03 5.9, this picture can be seen. In middle of pic is a black hose marked "high pressure fuel" coming from the bottom of a black cylinder shaped part. My question - Should there be a clamp holding this secure to the nipple (not shown)? Or is this just in place as a sheath to protect a metal line underneath? I can slide this hose up and down but not down far enough to see whats inside. I just had truck at local dealer to replace transmission lines and found two line/hose assemblies they never placed back in a plastic guide holder. Probably not a major deal (we all make mistakes) but it makes me question if they forgot a clamp in this spot during reassembly. To further my doubt I had to return to dealer once I discovered they had billed me for a line they never initially installed! I could easily place a clamp on this hose myself as precautionary but am more interested if the dealer forgot. My thinking is that it's just a sheath covering as if it was high pressure it would be leaking or blown off, no? I just waned to hear it from you guys with more expertise and not a bias answer I'd get from the dealer. After this experience I don't believe I'll be returning to this dealer for service. Any input on this hose is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Fuel line question with picture-fuel3.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That is your stock fuel pump line, it is a low pressure line. Looks like someone has messed with it before. You can put a clamp on it if you want. I would not sweat it too much. It is just a rubber line.

You might want to be ready to replace that... they go bad, I'm pretty surprised that pump is still going. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Might want to invest in one.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fuel line is going to the OE pump on the fuel canister. There is a protective sheath over the plastic fuel line on the '03. There is no clamp on the line, it is molded to the pump. There is a quick disconnect about 18" below the pump.

You have the OE pump, it may have been replaced by PO if you bought it used, but you need to know that the OE pump is prone to fail and can leave you stranded. A fuel pressure guage would help to monitor the pump.