3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel leak after Raptor install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel leak after Raptor install

I put a raptor fuel pump in my truck the other day and everything went fine. I have a 03 with the pump on the engine. Yesterday I filled up with fuel and after the fuel station pump clicked off I started to top off the tank. I like to fill it to the top of the filler tube. As soon as I added more fuel it started to come out onto the ground. I have not had much time to investigate it, but it seems like it is comming from somewhere around where the fuel line enters and exits from the top of the tank. As soon as some fuel came out it stopped overflowing onto the ground. It does not leak when it is running so I dont think it could be where to new raptor line enters the tank and that is the only thing that I messed with. Any ideas what may have happend and what to look for. Its really hard to see under the bed into that area. I probably need to pull the bed off the truck to see. What a pain.
Maybe the overflow line got knocked off. I am not sure where that is located on the tank?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a similar issue. Did you put the Raptor dip tube in the factory fuel canister? If you did, then I suspect that the 'seal' between the plastic and the raptor fitting is where the leak is. I found that the small o-ring they provide with the steel washers is not always a good combination for a good seal.
You may have to drop the tank again and do what we had to do...we put fuel rated washers on the plastic surface on the top side and underside before the steel washers and lock nut where installed. Problem solved.

Another issue that has happened is if the opening for the factory fuel supply is not blocked. Oversight.
And another is the quick connects at the tank are not fully engaged.

One time we had a leak near the front of the truck. Turned out to be the factory supply line was still hooked up to the tank and laying open at the engine bay by the factory fuel filter. Sloshing of the fuel would force fuel out of it.

I am currently awaiting a new regulator for my 100 as the fuel pressures are all over the map. Air Dog was very good at assisting with the trouble shooting. I can accept a few psi swing but I am seeing 10 psi or greater and erratic readings. Apparently some of the pumps had an aluminum plunger causing this. I hope it solves it for me and good luck with your leak!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM

I did not take the fuel canister out. My pump was on the engine. When you say that the factory fuel is blocked. I don't no what you mean. Can you please clarify?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by stealman1
I did not take the fuel canister out. My pump was on the engine. When you say that the factory fuel is blocked. I don't no what you mean. Can you please clarify?
Hmmmm
Did you hook up the raptor to the factory supply line?
I was thinking you dropped the tank and installed the pick up tube assembly the Raptor comes with. Maybe the 03 kit is a bit different and does not come with that?

What I was referring to is when you put the Raptor pick up in the fuel canister, the factory line is still there but needs to be blocked.

If you did not do anything to the tank, I am puzzled as well. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

I unhooked the factory line from the top of the fuel canister. The line towards the back of the truck and connected the raptor line to that connection. I did not drop tank or remove the bed. I just reached in there with my hand and did it blind so to speak.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by stealman1
I unhooked the factory line from the top of the fuel canister. The line towards the back of the truck and connected the raptor line to that connection. I did not drop tank or remove the bed. I just reached in there with my hand and did it blind so to speak.
Nice! I haven't got a chance of reaching in there...I'd be stuck.

Still leaking? I wonder if its not clipped on all the way?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

There is a third line fitting on the tank canister. It has a rubber cap to seal it. The top of the cap has broken off and allowing fuel to leak out when the tank is topped off.

I had to make a simple tool to get the spring clamp off as I did not have a tool to compress the clamp ears and I could not see with one hand and had to feel it. I used a hardwood clothes pin and cut the ends to a taper with the point at the center when the pin is closed. This allowed me to get the clothes pen on the ears and was able to squeeze the pen and was able to lift off the clamp. The broken rubber cap then lifted off. I made a cap using a short piece of 5/16 fuel line and I plugged the top end. Use a clamp with a hex head screw and use a long extension and socket to tighten the clamp. A long nut driver will also work.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks
That was the problem. I just went and pulled the cap off. Now the hard part, getting a fuel hose back on.