3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

front drive shaft lube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by el toro
Thanks guys. Jmac, no pictures on that thread. Just a bunch of guys sharing my same frustration.
Just checked that thread and it's on the second page.. I was able to pull it up by clicking on the link so I don't know.
Jamie

PM your e-mail address and I can e-mail them directly to you.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 PM

I just greased mine a couple weeks ago. Even knowing within a an inch of where it should be, it still took me 5 minutes to find it. I'll know where it is next time, though!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Eureka! I found it. Thanks for those pics. Found them on the second page and just found it on my truck. What a lame design!

Having never used a "needle" adaptor for a grease gun, please help me out. How the heck do you get grease into the fitting? Do you just push the adaptor up there firmly and pump the handle? Seems like most of the grease will coume out of the gun and just ooze all over rather than making its way into the fitting. I guess I just have a hard time understanding how that little fitting allows grease inside.

And you guys were right, the link I posted is not the right needle adaptor. I'll have to pick up one of the other ones at Napa. Do any of those adaptors posted work any better than the others? There is a Napa right down the street but I'd rather not have to make multiple trips back and forth to the store. Has anyone successfully used one of those exact adaptors from Napa? Which one?

Thanks. You guys have great info for a noobie.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 PM

There will be a little spring loaded ball in the middle of the fitting of the uiversal, the idea is the grease will push by the ball into the joint.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by el toro
Eureka! I found it. Thanks for those pics. Found them on the second page and just found it on my truck. What a lame design!

Having never used a "needle" adaptor for a grease gun, please help me out. How the heck do you get grease into the fitting? Do you just push the adaptor up there firmly and pump the handle? Seems like most of the grease will coume out of the gun and just ooze all over rather than making its way into the fitting. I guess I just have a hard time understanding how that little fitting allows grease inside.

And you guys were right, the link I posted is not the right needle adaptor. I'll have to pick up one of the other ones at Napa. Do any of those adaptors posted work any better than the others? There is a Napa right down the street but I'd rather not have to make multiple trips back and forth to the store. Has anyone successfully used one of those exact adaptors from Napa? Which one?

Thanks. You guys have great info for a noobie.
The needle has a round ball that snaps into the end of the grease gun fitting and the grease pushes through the needle just fine. It obviously is a hypodermic needle so be carefull. The little ball fitting you push the need into isn't hard to move, so it doesn't take much pressure to push the needle into position. IMHO the job is easier to do with a smaller one hand grease gun so your other hand is holding the needle in place.
Jamie
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM

OK that makes a little more sense. Any recommendation exactly which of those Napa adaptors I should use?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Chapter President

No I just use the standard needle from Advanced discount auto parts.

Jamie
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

why in he** wouldn't they just put a nipple there!!!