3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fass/air Dog

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass/air Dog

I've have read and read and read.....

Do these two products replace the lift pump?

Do any of you have these on your trucks where you can give me details how and where you installed it ?

Can you tell me what benefits would be realized by these products?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

This set up is much more dependable than the stock lift pump and will provide the needed fuel requirements when the cummins is modified for hp. it will also work for stock trucks. I am no expert but, the assurance over the stock lift and filtering properties is enough for me. I will be doing this mod. to my truck in the near future. If you search here for air dog I believe you will find some good pictures of install for this pump/filter set up. I have seen it posted here before.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

I have the Airdog 150 and we installed it in a couple of hours, had a lift handy. We also did the fuel tank vent mod while we had the tank out, has worked out great. The Airdog does make some noise but you only really notice it whiel your waiting for the heater grid to turn off, then the engine pretty much downs it out. The Airdog has better filtering of the fuel, takes the air out of the fuel and also any water.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TKC2000
The Airdog has better filtering of the fuel, takes the air out of the fuel and also any water.
It may remove air, but the water filtering just isn't there.. The baldwin PF7977 has the same absolute rating for filtration (5 microns) and meets the OE spec of 95% free and emulsified water removal, the AD only removes 50% of free water and 0% of emulsified water...

The AD/FASS is grossly underfiltered for the price.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
It may remove air, but the water filtering just isn't there.. The baldwin PF7977 has the same absolute rating for filtration (5 microns) and meets the OE spec of 95% free and emulsified water removal, the AD only removes 50% of free water and 0% of emulsified water...

The AD/FASS is grossly underfiltered for the price.
Fuel filter discussion....
I used Napa 3585xt gold filers for fuel. I looked up Baldwin you mentioned but I could not find where it would filter out 5 microns? The baldwin is a lot less in price...

I was told the filters are made by WIX and are labeled for napa, baldwin, purolator etc.

Overall I have learned that no matter what micron filter it is, water can still pass through......dang it!
Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by yepuhuh
Fuel filter discussion....
I used Napa 3585xt gold filers for fuel. I looked up Baldwin you mentioned but I could not find where it would filter out 5 microns? The baldwin is a lot less in price...

I was told the filters are made by WIX and are labeled for napa, baldwin, purolator etc.

Overall I have learned that no matter what micron filter it is, water can still pass through......dang it!
I got the baldwin specs from baldwin thru phone calls and emails. WIX doesn't meet OE spec... Water sep is not related to micron rating... I have a 20 micron filter and a 5 micron filter on my truck, both are rated the same for water removal.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
I got the baldwin specs from baldwin thru phone calls and emails. WIX doesn't meet OE spec... Water sep is not related to micron rating... I have a 20 micron filter and a 5 micron filter on my truck, both are rated the same for water removal.

Update: I talked to the head fellow at Wix for the napa gold 3585Xe filter and they buy them from Fleetguard and relabel them for Napa. The Fleetguard filters are OE certified.

The NAPA 3585xe is rated at 5 microns the NAPA 3585 is rated at 10 micons.

I'm interested in the 2 filters you have on your truck.....I would like to put a 5 micro near to the tank and then the 10 micron in the water/filter separator.

Is that how you did yours?

And Thanks for the info.
It's sad that some company's don't make their own products but buy them from the same manufacture and re-label them. I'm 53 and still learning things.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by yepuhuh
Update: I talked to the head fellow at Wix for the napa gold 3585Xe filter and they buy them from Fleetguard and relabel them for Napa. The Fleetguard filters are OE certified.

The NAPA 3585xe is rated at 5 microns the NAPA 3585 is rated at 10 micons.

I'm interested in the 2 filters you have on your truck.....I would like to put a 5 micro near to the tank and then the 10 micron in the water/filter separator.

Is that how you did yours?

And Thanks for the info.
It's sad that some company's don't make their own products but buy them from the same manufacture and re-label them. I'm 53 and still learning things.

Sorry I don't buy that BS... I too have talked to WIX and they claim nominal is just as good as absolute, no need to worry about the 48.7% difference in efficiency... Until WIX reports absolute ratings I will stear clear and I will advise others to do the same. The 3585XE is rated at 7 microns nominal per WIX, not the 5 they said they told you...

If they do indeed buy them from fleetguard and relabel them then they need to provide accurate specs.. see where I am calling BS...

Anyways I have a 20 mic between the tank and OE Canister, then a 5 mic in the canister and a 2 mic between the canister and the CP3. I prefer the filters in succession.